Thai Airways frequent flyer card?

wildpikey

My wife has just joined Thai airways as a frequent flyer and has been informed that they no longer issue the cards. You just have to remember (write down) your number to show.

Does anyone know?

I frequently forget to include my number when I book, then try to remember by showing my card at the check in. This is going to cause me a problem now,especially if I fly with another Start Alliance airline and have to try to explain to out the miles onto my Thai account.

May not seem a big thing, but it's big enough to piss me off this morning!

I highly recommend getting the app Evernote for your phone (I also use it on my computer, and if you get the pay version, you can sync all of your folders between the two--it's $45 a year. The free version, I believe, lets you sync just one folder).

Anyway, I use Evernote just for things like this: membership numbers, addresses, etc., that I need quick access to wherever I am. Way better, IMO, than carrying cards or a physical notebook.

4 hours ago, wildpikey said:

then try to remember by showing my card at the check in

Your membership number never changes so you should still be able to show the expired card if you forget to include it when you do your on-line check-in.

That's the problem with having numbers on bits of plastic, one never feels the need to remember them.

Now that they have kicked away that crutch, I guess 'remembering' a 7-digit alphanumeric is going to be a necessity.

Or you can write the number on any page in your passport.

what i have noticed for the past few years is that Thai airways automatically adds in a frequent flyer's number into bookings made for TG and WE flights. not sure if other star alliance members do this as well. besides, it's just 2 letters and 5 numbers...

Most Star Alliance Airlines, like Thai Airways, no longer issue Plastic Frequent Flyer Cards until you obtain the Level of Frequent Flyer. Which if I recall is Silver, and in which you need 35,000 Miles in a year to get that.

However, everyone is still issued a Digital Card for all Levels. You first need to join and Log On to the Internet Sight using your Membership Number as your Log In Number. This will show you your current Status Miles and recent journies.

It will also show you your Wallet Size Digital Frequent Flyer Card (Blue) with you name and number on it. You can print this and use this when you check in. Once you obtain Silver, Gold, or Platnium, you will be issued the standard plastic card as usual. Thai Airways now only issues Status Miles for International Flights, and not Domectic ones anymore.    

No more cards is correct...only it doesn't seem that all Thai Airways or Thai Smile staff know this, a staff member at Swampy would not accept my number unless I had the physical card, I went upstairs to the office and they told me that cards were no longer issued, back down to the check-in counter to tell them what the office told me, not really worth the bother anyway unless you fly a jillion miles with them.

19 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

I highly recommend getting the app Evernote for your phone (I also use it on my computer, and if you get the pay version, you can sync all of your folders between the two--it's $45 a year. The free version, I believe, lets you sync just one folder).

Anyway, I use Evernote just for things like this: membership numbers, addresses, etc., that I need quick access to wherever I am. Way better, IMO, than carrying cards or a physical notebook.

I can 100% agree with Chou. It's a game changer. You can also save pdfs of e tickets, boarding passes, hotel reservations all in one place. Just a heads up. If you go this route set your travel folder to Offline so it's available even when you are not on the internet.

how hard is it to write down your number and staple it / sticky note it in one of your pages in the passport?  Its probably faster than turning on the computer, going to thaivisa.com,  start a new topic, type in your rant, replies. 

I know some agents need to see the physical cards, they are just new on the job. There are times even when I've encounter agents who says my number doesn't show up in their system - but its mostly due to human error, they enter in the wrong number.

35 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

What's it matter anyway. I fly 30 times domestic on Thai every year and can only ever get silver. Any other airlines would have been platinum. Great service, worst frequent flyer plan 

The FOOD and ENTERTAINMENT is not as good as MOST airlines.

2 hours ago, Artben said:

Thai Air has one of the worst frequent flyer programs.  High point requirement and arcane rules.  

If you were a Royal Orchid member of any standing, you'd know different.

I was a KLM uber platinum member due to my using them pretty exclusively for business and pleasure over about 6 years. Once I stopped working (and living) in markets where they were the first-choice carrier, I lapsed from the highest echelons to current 'Ivory' which only gets you acknowledged as a self-sustaining life-form with the need to fly somewhere.

I also used to be Gold with THAI (5 Business Class round-trips to Auckland will do that for you very quickly) but subsequently and despite a year-and-half of almost regular 1-hour domestic round-trips, I similarly fell relatively slowly into the JAP (just another passenger) class.

If you aint flying front of the bus REGULARLY with ANY carrier that has a frequent flier program, you'll eventually have to provide your own umbrella when it starts raining.

4 minutes ago, bridge2bridge said:

The FOOD and ENTERTAINMENT is not as good as MOST airlines.

I agree, but I was speaking of domestic flying and for an hour flight it is fine. About a 1/8 of the flights I fly business class and that is great, but also depends on the age of their aging fleet.. Bangkok air is the best, but has the worst on time schedule here. 

46 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

What's it matter anyway. I fly 30 times domestic on Thai every year and can only ever get silver. Any other airlines would have been platinum. Great service, worst frequent flyer plan 

See post #18.

Any other airlines? Really? Got a 'for instance' for us?

Buddy of mine is all over the US on business and since the shortest of those flights is probably a couple of hours, he racks up enough to keep his elevated status which he uses to upgrade his long-haul flights to Thailand. Even he says it's harder to keep the elevated status and more than a few airlines give you the option just to pay hard cash to buy miles to stay 'up there'.

Frequent flyer clubs are so passé.

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

See post #18.

Any other airlines? Really? Got a 'for instance' for us?

Buddy of mine is all over the US on business and since the shortest of those flights is probably a couple of hours, he racks up enough to keep his elevated status which he uses to upgrade his long-haul flights to Thailand. Even he says it's harder to keep the elevated status and more than a few airlines give you the option just to pay hard cash to buy miles to stay 'up there'.

Frequent flyer clubs are so passé.

And what elevated status is your buddy?  Frequent flyer breathing at like a Silver, or higher? Even though I repeatedly cut the grade making silver for the last umpteen years, it is still beating the dog to death by the amount of flights I sit on them per year domestically, which by all reasoning should upgrade to Gold. Silver is still something and all airlines are getting difficult. 

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

It was good until at a stroke they doubled the miles needed for awards a few years ago, So I stopped flying with them. Plenty of others fly to Europe and are usually cheaper.

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It was good until at a stroke they doubled the miles needed for awards a few years ago, So I stopped flying with them. Plenty of others fly to Europe and are usually cheaper.

No choice domestically. International other than VN I would not bother with Thai airways. Even to VN their flight schedule is too early.

Not flown Thai for a long time but other airlines are similar.

Emirates for example which i do use regularly - when you log in to your account, the Skywards number is associated with your login so you don't really need to even know it. If you download a ticket, it's on there too. Works for me - the less rubbish I have to carry about the better. :smile:

23 hours ago, trawler said:

Actually,you can download the app and your card from TG and it will be on your phone.cheers

Please let us know if you've actually been able to get that TG app to work. I never have, it's worthless...can't even log in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2017 at 9:20 AM, Artben said:

Thai Air has one of the worst frequent flyer programs.  High point requirement and arcane rules.  

Respectfully disagree. Obtaining and maintaining Gold status, which I have, is easier with Thai than with many other airlines. Star Alliance Gold status is useful the world over with a variety of decent airlines and airports. You also get priority check-in at Suvanabhumi, which is a real bonus considering the queues there much of the time.

Since having Gold I have been given free upgrade coupons, received upgrades, and flown long haul flights for less than 3,000 Baht + point requirement.

I would say that the Suvanabhumi Thai lounges were a bit miserable compared to some of the others, but it seems they have recently been renovated and are looking much fresher. A wider variety of food is available too.

Archived