how to find megabyte size of Firefox open windows memory hogs !

oldcarguy

Hi

I have been trying to find which of my open windows in Firefox are the memory hogs !

I found one (on another computer)  in MS Edge that was over 2GB ( OUCH )  , but I cannot figure out a way to get of list of FireFox  open windows memory usage ,

it does not come up in Task Manager , is there another Firefox extension I can add ?

Thanks for your help

Hi

thanks for the reply

I tried about:performance   and it shows all the windows but you have to open each one to see the stats ,

and that does not include memory useage

so is there another way to get the list with memory usage next to the name ?

Thanks again

1 hour ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

The latest iteration of Firefox - Quantum - is claimed to be far quicker and less of a memory hog. So far, after a few weeks' use, I've found it far superior, and my Macbook agrees.

Agreed, a vast improvement.  Quite why it took them so long to fix the memory bleed issue..................

5 hours ago, alanrchase said:

I remember reading that some websites will use your computer to mine bit coin. Could that be your problem? 

Apparently streaming sites such as Pirate Bay are hiring out to cryptohackers in lieu of advertising revenue. We think these sites are free, but you pay one way or the other.

I never liked to use Microsoft IE.

And Chrome... it shouldn't be Google everywhere, should it be?

I was a fan of Mozilla Firefox from their beginning until a few weeks ago.

When they updated their browser to Quantum a lot of add-ons didn't work anymore and the one still working didn't have the same functions as their old versions (for example : "Clippings" Grrrr!).
So I decided to look for something fast, light, open source and where the old addons would work as they used to do.
I found "Waterfox" and since then I enjoy again every minute on the net.

Waterfox is based on Firefox and IMO is faster and lighter than its "big brother". The old add-ons are working as they used to work on FF56 and all the features of FF are present.

11 hours ago, Jedsada3 said:

When they updated their browser to Quantum a lot of add-ons didn't work anymore and the one still working didn't have the same functions as their old versions (for example : "Clippings" Grrrr!).
So I decided to look for something fast, light, open source and where the old addons would work as they used to do.

Waterfox is based on Firefox and IMO is faster and lighter than its "big brother". The old add-ons are working as they used to work on FF56 and all the features of FF are present.

Waterfox was being panned early last year (2016) by some, who alleged very slow loading & some freezing.  Presumably that's ancient history by now.  "Heavy users" seem to benefit more from the speed advantage than light users.

14 hours ago, Jedsada3 said:

Agreed. I'm using Waterfox now and I like it. Not as fast as Quantum but faster than the old Firefox and all the old extensions work. I mentioned this recently in another thread.

On 12/17/2017 at 4:09 PM, JSixpack said:

Anyone unhappy w/ all the changes in Quantum but still like Firefox + extensions (e.g., Tab Mix Plus and Classic Theme Restorer) should consider one of the alternatives still being updated. It appears Waterfox is in the lead. I'm using it now and it's quite nice--faster than the old the Firefox, too. Besides that you have IceDragon and Pale Moon. Pale Moon's great (I use it on Linux) but not all extensions are compatible, though most are. There's been another one, Cyberfox, but it's giving up the ghost.

https://www.waterfoxproject.org/

https://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/icedragon-browser.php

https://www.palemoon.org/

As a side note, you expats who are tired of Google giving you the Thai version and making you select English (if you can find it) should try this extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-no-country-redirect/

Previous similar extensions have either stopped working or don't work w/ the omnibar. This one's brilliant.

Chrome has something similar.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/google ncr?_category=extensions

18 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

I tried that Add on , it looked like it was what I wanted but just froze up when I tried to use it....

It doesn't work with latest Firefox does it? That what is says when I check the addon. You should be using latest Firefox, probably will fix your memory problems anyway as its fast.