Police nab 325 foreigners in overstay cases in Surat Thani province

webfact

Police nab 325 foreigners in overstay cases

BANGKOK, 20th December 2017 (NNT) - Deputy Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police Pol.Gen. Srivara Ransibrahmanakul has overseen a crack down on illegal aliens in Surat Thani province. 325 foreigners were found to have overstayed their visas. 

The deputy national police chief on Tuesday traveled to the Bo Phut Police Station in Ko Samui district, Surat Thani. Police officers arrested a total of 405 foreigners who have violated the Thai law. Of those who have overstayed their visas 325 are Indian citizens, while the person who has illegally stayed in Thailand the longest at around 14 years, is a Japanese national. 

All of the illegal aliens will be sent back to their home country and be blacklisted. They will be prohibited from entering Thailand again according to the Thai Immigration Act.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-12-20

Wow! 325 people?

Did anyone see the police making the rounds?

I ask as I never see the cops here, except for the occasional traffic stop when they are doing helmet fines (I don't drink, so that might have something to do with it).

Anyone see ID checks at Tesco? Big C? Makro? The bars in Cheweng/Lamai? Soi Mango? Did the police already know where they were and just went to their houses to pick them up? Anyone know how many were on Samui? The other islands?

If you have further info, please share!

Cheers

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Wow! 325 people?

Did anyone see the police making the rounds?

I ask as I never see the cops here, except for the occasional traffic stop when they are doing helmet fines (I don't drink, so that might have something to do with it).

Anyone see ID checks at Tesco? Big C? Makro? The bars in Cheweng/Lamai? Soi Mango? Did the police already know where they were and just went to their houses to pick them up? Anyone know how many were on Samui? The other islands?

If you have further info, please share!

Cheers

can tell u..loads on samui..Lamai is crawling with illegals

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Wow! 325 people?

Did anyone see the police making the round. 

405 caught, 325 from India, guess the police just gone shopping for a new tailor made suit. 

The police have been paid for ages for illegal workers, this is a military crackdown. 

The police know everyone on overstays but collecting bribes for years. 

14 hours ago, webfact said:

All of the illegal aliens will be sent back to their home country and be blacklisted.

But before, they will have to stay for at least 3 to 10 years in the IDC Jail in Bangkok along with their kids - as long as they will be trying to find the money for a ticket out, because Thai government doesn't want to pay for deportations.

As usual, Thai media decides to conveniently leave this information out.

7f3d8e_24174dcf628f49ab84abb6ba43c59845.jpg

Edited by ethaniel

16 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Makes me wonder how somebody could survive here for 14 years without a work permit and not being able to leave the country to get more money. After 14 years even gift packages from home and friends would run out. 

Illegal work. 

2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Illegal work. 

Illegal Work is easy to say but think about that for a momemt. Even that requires some experience and connections. 

I mean I have no idea where to buy or sell drugs, if I ever had to. No idea how to steal a Motor Bike and how to get rid of that for money. Or rob a bank, which you must be good at to not get caught in 14 years. I guess my point is that it is not that easy to find illegal work either and one that can support you for 14 years. 

1 hour ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Illegal Work is easy to say but think about that for a momemt. Even that requires some experience and connections. 

I mean I have no idea where to buy or sell drugs, if I ever had to. No idea how to steal a Motor Bike and how to get rid of that for money. Or rob a bank, which you must be good at to not get caught in 14 years. I guess my point is that it is not that easy to find illegal work either and one that can support you for 14 years. 

Lots of the Indians was presumably the multiple truck-loads of Indian tailors on the island, others probably opened Indian restaurants. With a monthly envelope placed in the right hands, that can have worked for years. I've also noticed Indian men selling watches in the streets, and even one working in building construction. Illegal work can mean a legal business, but without legal work permit. However I'm not stating that Samui's Indian tailors and Indian restaurants are illegally operated, just speculating about the number of 325 Indian overstayers out of 405 foreigners in total...:whistling:

2 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Think I know the Japanese man.

He operates accommodation and tours for Japanese tourists.

But my friend has been here over 17 years. :whistling:

18 hours ago, khunPer said:

Lots of the Indians was presumably the multiple truck-loads of Indian tailors on the island, others probably opened Indian restaurants. With a monthly envelope placed in the right hands, that can have worked for years. I've also noticed Indian men selling watches in the streets, and even one working in building construction. Illegal work can mean a legal business, but without legal work permit. However I'm not stating that Samui's Indian tailors and Indian restaurants are illegally operated, just speculating about the number of 325 Indian overstayers out of 405 foreigners in total...:whistling:

Yes, I am sure you are right about the Indian Overstayers. There must be a high demand for there tailoring skills. which they can't get a W.P. for. On the other hand they must also have some connection with other Indians to be able to do this. Who wants to take the risk of hiring an illegal worker, and risk getting kicked out of the country yourself if caught? 

But for this Japanese Guy who avoided getting caught for 14 years, that sure is a long time to hide from the law. When you can be asked at any moment on the street for your Passport, or stopped at a road side check, or having a beer in any bar, or working anywhere illegally and never being questioned.

It just seems amazing to me he could do this for so long and get away with it for so long. So this is why I wonder how he did that. 

11 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Needs to employ 8 thais, 4 for him, 4 for his wife. 

If he is operating accommodations and tours for Japanese Tourist, that shouldn't be so hard to do I would think. You would have 2 for the lobby, 2 general cleaners, 2 room cleaning maids, 2 security, which is 8 already. Plus a Bus Driver and Assistant, and who knows what else if he offers a place to eat. 

But if what you say is true, and he could not hire these many Thais, operating accommodations and tours for Japanese Tourist sure doesn't seem like he is keeping a low profile to me. Which I would think he would need to do to avoid being found out after 14 years of Overstay. 

50 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

But if what you say is true, and he could not hire these many Thais, operating accommodations and tours for Japanese Tourist sure doesn't seem like he is keeping a low profile to me. Which I would think he would need to do to avoid being found out after 14 years of Overstay. 

He has just paid the police their share just like the 325 Indian tailor touts nabbed. 

2 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Yes, I am sure you are right about the Indian Overstayers. There must be a high demand for there tailoring skills. which they can't get a W.P. for. On the other hand they must also have some connection with other Indians to be able to do this. Who wants to take the risk of hiring an illegal worker, and risk getting kicked out of the country yourself if caught? 

But for this Japanese Guy who avoided getting caught for 14 years, that sure is a long time to hide from the law. When you can be asked at any moment on the street for your Passport, or stopped at a road side check, or having a beer in any bar, or working anywhere illegally and never being questioned.

It just seems amazing to me he could do this for so long and get away with it for so long. So this is why I wonder how he did that. 

"...When you can be asked at any moment on the street for your Passport, or stopped at a road side check, or having a beer in any bar..."

I find this very interesting.

I have been visiting Koh Samui since 1996 and often had long stays (more than 5-6 months at a time). Further, I have been here full-time for the last 5 years or so.

In all that time, I have never, repeat never, been required to show my passport outside of going through passport control on my way in or out of the country or when I used to check into hotels (even that wasn't always required). Not once. I don't drink so I spend very little time in bars, but outside of that I suspect that I am a normal resident here. And again, not once have been required to show my passport.

So, a question for expats on the island; have you been required to show your passport? If so, was it often? If it doesn't invade your privacy, could you expound on the circumstances? 

Cheers and TIA

Edited by Samui Bodoh
Lack of coffee

4 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

So, a question for expats on the island; have you been required to show your passport? If so, was it often? If it doesn't invade your privacy, could you expound on the circumstances? 

Cheers and TIA

12 years on the rock, never shown my passport except at immigration, not even at the airport, my Thai DL is accepted as ID there.