Chinese Tourists Could Cause Years of Misery for Thai Airports

webfact

12 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

Yeah but they ain't coming from farangland, that's for sure

Let's not kid ourselves, eh?

The Chinese might not be the last word in refinement but they don't get up to half the crap that farangs do.

We've all read the stories and we've all seen what we collectively get up to in places like Pattaya and parts of Bangkok.

Yeah the Chinese let their kids take a dump in the street but then you've got a farang going down on a Pattaya soi 6 harlot

in public in broad daylight a couple of Songkrans ago.

:clap2:

11 hours ago, JXXXL said:

Another blunder by TAT. They are either totally incompetent or disengenuous, both qualities found in abundance in LOS.  They keep saying they want quality over quantity do the exact opposite. 

Affluent tourists are long gone.

Effluent ones are taking their place :thumbsup:

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:45 AM, impulse said:

Seriously?  You may have become so jaded that you don't even notice it, but to a family coming for holiday, it's still "in your face".  

I have lots of friends back home that won't bring their families to Thailand because of its reputation for sex tourism.  And when they go on a family holiday, they outspend the average monger by a wide margin, treat their host countries with respect and don't use the locals as sperm receptacles. 

I continue to contend that every dollar lost by reducing or eliminating sex tourism would be offset by several dollars gained on family tourism.  But the families won't come overnight.  It'll take years, if not decades to shed the reputation.

Seriously? You are so fanatical about it that you imagine it is everywhere, despite the evidence.

The reputation lingers, but the reality has changed. Now it's just a red top fiction.

Other than a small part of Pattaya, where in LOS is the sex industry "in your face"? I doubt you can give me any city, other than Pattaya, where one doesn't have to deliberately go look for it.

Bkk? 3 tiny streets that are "blink and you miss it". Lower Sukhumvit at night, when children will be in bed.

Chiang Mai? Gimme a break. It's so discrete it's almost invisible, and closed by midnight. Lamphun is more exciting and that's saying something.

Phuket. While I haven't been there for many years, I doubt it's expanded beyond the one street it always occupied.

Hua Hin. 55555555555555

Some actual proof, as opposed to opinion and rumour would help your case.

"treat their host countries with respect"

:cheesy:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/shortcuts/2017/jan/17/from-barcelona-to-malia-how-brits-on-holiday-have-made-themselves-unwelcome

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ossy said:

As frustrating as the Chinese, en masse, can be, is this 'airport misery' thread really fair to them as a faction of humankind - our brothers or, at least, our long-distance cousins, in fact? Surely, given that Chinese tourist numbers should have been factored into the planning of Thailand's prestige airport, the misery must lie at the door of grossly inadequate customs/immigration provision. 3 months ago, we had the ludicrous situation where the management at Suvarnabhumi blamed the fact that there were a large number of arrivals 'all-at-once' . . . how laughable was that? . . . how totally Thai was that?

The anticipated misery will not happen if the number of manned Customs points is increased - they have the space for more desks and they cost next to nothing - and, by 'manned', I mean staffed by officers who appear to be enjoying their work and who get satisfaction from doing this important task as quickly as it could possibly be done, as opposed to the utterly pissed-off looking bunch that we are typically met with. Some 'Hello to Thailand', eh? Like nearly every branch of Thai officialdom, Thai airport staff show little better than total lethargy and disinterest. Is it too much for them to return the smile offered by an arriving visitor from any place in the world . . . a Chinese, even?

Unfortunately, forward planning is, like maintenance, an apparently alien concept to Thai officialdom.

When Swampy was opened it proved so inadequate to the numbers of flights that they had to reopen D M again, and not forgetting that they built a new airport without also building a means of people getting there other than by road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unfortunately, forward planning is, like maintenance, an apparently alien concept to Thai officialdom.

When Swampy was opened it proved so inadequate to the numbers of flights that they had to reopen D M again, and not forgetting that they built a new airport without also building a means of people getting there other than by road.

Dump the arrival card. Passport in the reader, type number of days into the computer, stamp passport, finished.

30 seconds.

Biggest delays are TM6 wrong, not signed, not filled in etc.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Dump the arrival card. Passport in the reader, type number of days into the computer, stamp passport, finished.

30 seconds.

But you don't need to dump the arrival card because that should only take another 5 seconds at the most to look at it and stamp it.

What is needed is more immigration staff at the immigration stations at both the Swamp and at DM so the wait is not as long

46 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

But you don't need to dump the arrival card because that should only take another 5 seconds at the most to look at it and stamp it.

What is needed is more immigration staff at the immigration stations at both the Swamp and at DM so the wait is not as long

Lost count of the times I've seen cards being handed back to people to finish them. Not signed, address not filled in etc etc, no pen and have to ask someone to borrow one etc etc.

Puts minutes on, not seconds to get it completed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Lost count of the times I've seen cards being handed back to people to finish them. Not signed, address not filled in etc etc, no pen and have to ask someone to borrow one etc etc.

Puts minutes on, not seconds to get it completed.

But, you are handed the arrival/departure card on the plane and you have plenty of time to complete it before you get to the immigration officer and if you have not completed it by then you should be sent back to complete it and not do it at the immigration officer check in and hold everyone else up.

The arrival/departure card is very important because it gives immigration the address that you are staying at and every country has them.

just send them back to the desk to complete and make them get in line again

• Like 2

But, you are handed the arrival/departure card on the plane and you have plenty of time to complete it before you get to the immigration officer and if you have not completed it by then you should be sent back to complete it and not do it at the immigration officer check in and hold everyone else up.
The arrival/departure card is very important because it gives immigration the address that you are staying at and every country has them.
Malaysia doesn't have A/D cards.

16 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:
18 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Malaysia doesn't have A/D cards.

Do you know when that changed because I had to do an A/D card when I went from Woodlands, Singapore to Johor Bahru, Malaysia in 2012

I do know that you must do an A/D card in Indonesia even when you are in transit because you must go through immigration as there is no transit lounge

Edited by Russell17au
left something out
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Do you know when that changed because I had to do an A/D card when I went from Woodlands, Singapore to Johor Bahru, Malaysia in 2012

I do know that you must do an A/D card in Indonesia even when you are in transit because you must go through immigration as there is no transit lounge

UK are phasing them out or have already done so.

59 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Malaysia must be at least a couple of years ago.

Just rule in drastic visa regulations for the Chinese, before arrival, and problem solved overnight.
I believe that strict rules apply for Chinese driving down from the homeland. The Chiang Rai administration deemed that incoming Chinese drivers had to: 1. Sit in 2 days of driving classes 2. Take a test 3. Take out driving insurance 4. Stay within Chiang Rai province.

Don't know if it is still in effect...

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

What I have been overcharged. I'm on a pension here and I paid 100,000 baht. I want my 99,000 baht that I have been overcharged by you and I believe that all TV advanced members either be charged 1,000,000 baht or be deported to the Arctic to be an elf and help Santa

At least they'd be entitled to elf-benefits, when they got sick ! :cool:

Merry Christmas, one and all, wherever you're from ! :wai:

Edited by Ricardo
  • Thanks 1

My observation over the last few months.

The Tour companies arrange everything, hotel, local tours, big buffet food tables, Big shopping center tours, everything is taken care of.

One exception may be 7-11 and Family Marts as they seem to need a lot of snacks.

With the arrangement like above less than 30-40% of local Thai businesses benefit from these "Tour Groups", just look around do you see any on their own? Oh you may see a group , but most likely they have been bused to a place to shop and are on a schedule via their tour group bus.

This leaves well over 50% of the businesses on Samui who gain basically nothing from this tourist boom. A perfect example is Natorn, tour buses are waiting at the pier to whisk the New arrivals on their per booked tours and hotels.

Just take a look around they don't travel in hordes any longer, they are in organized groups.

The locals, with few exceptions see none of this business just the big hotels and tour organizer.

Need proof just come to Natorn, even when a cruse ship comes in  they are whisked away in prearranged buses and vans waiting for them as the tour ?? has already been arranged on the ship.

On Fri Dec 22 2017 at 7:26 AM, Valentine said:

The Chinese are making very few people mega rich (likely more mega rich than they already are) as the tours only go to selected places to shop, eat & visit. The man on the street does not benefit the same as they used to when they were able to attract walk by customers.

This is the way 'they' want it, a robust lower middle class is the enemy of the super rich in power..

14 hours ago, Russell17au said:

What I have been overcharged. I'm on a pension here and I paid 100,000 baht. I want my 99,000 baht that I have been overcharged by you and I believe that all TV advanced members either be charged 1,000,000 baht or be deported to the Arctic to be an elf and help Santa

Didn't you mean ELK?

• Haha 1