Big Bikes banned from National Parks until when.

Denim

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Maybe we disagree on what constitutes 'noisy'.  Almost all unmodified big bikes, when they open up their throttle, are noisy in my opinion.

Well, you either are extremely sensitive or have not seen many stock big bikes. My CBR500R exhaust is so quiet that the chain makes a louder noise... there are tons of big bikes that are pretty quiet. Certainly quieter than many cars or trucks. Nothing that would be a problem for a national park. The ones with modified exhausts though can be very loud. But so can be the small scooters. In Phuket for example there are much more loud 125cc scooters and trucks than big bikes. And the shitty broken/modified diesels also cause way more polution than any big bike ever could.

On 12/24/2017 at 10:22 AM, VocalNeal said:

There are more Thais on "big" bikes than law abiding foreigners. Also almost no Thai big bikes have stock exhausts

To a visitor to Thailand and we all are, there may seem to be no logic to this decision. However this is Thailand run by Thais and they  have their own logic to deal with their own citizenry.  Any wishy washy means open to interpretation with my dad is bigger than your dad type discussions will not work here and they know it. No big bikes is straight forward. 

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

To a visitor to Thailand and we all are, there may seem to be no logic to this decision. However this is Thailand run by Thais and they  have their own logic to deal with their own citizenry.  Any wishy washy means open to interpretation with my dad is bigger than your dad type discussions will not work here and they know it. No big bikes is straight forward. 

So what is the straight forward definition of a big bike?

;-)

Edited by papa al

My or your definition is irrelevant to this topic it is what the parks people decide. Actually the whole term big bike  should dropped here as it just an ego thing. 

If pressed a definition could be that it cannot be bought in a "regular" big three dealership, So anything bigger than 300. But again it doesn't matter as the parks dept. have decided. Ironically Honda 300 singles with after market exhausts are probably the loudest bikes, even at Buriram Superbike meetings. Next being Kawasaki 650's.

Be interesting to see what happens if someone shows up on a BMW 600 scooter! If it is all motorcycles then...

No one I know uses the term 'Big Bike' Never heard of it until landing on these shores.

In my Not So Humble Opinion ...

There are scooters

There are motorcycles - called by all I know Bikes

Small or big is a displacement term

This disregards bicycles - as I stop riding them at 13 and never looked back

Want exercise - do the Horizontal Bop

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

If pressed a definition could be that it cannot be bought in a "regular" big three dealership, So anything bigger than 300.

Where did you get that.?

Out of thin air.?

Situation doesn't seem at all straight forward,

but papa not too smart.

2 hours ago, papa al said:

Where did you get that.?

Well you asked?  

4 hours ago, Denim said:

Not A BMW but a big bike. Would they let him in ?

Image result for prayuth on motorcycle

Based on the single disk I would say a CBR300 so not a "big" bike. But certainly bigger than a chicken chaser. I like the watch! But hey if he can ride he is one of us?

Edited by VocalNeal

22 hours ago, papa al said:

So what is the straight forward definition of a big bike?

;-)

Go to all the different park entrance gates that are on sort-of main roads, ask and report back. :biggrin:

My guess without going myself would be anything above a Honda Wave, e.g. CBR150. 

The Waves, Monkey type bikes & any scoots would be OK that's my take I guess unless there considered noisey.

Edited by Kwasaki