Visa exemption for an Australian at Mae Sai ?

Circumstances dictate that I only need another 2 weeks in Thailand before returning to Australia. Therefore I don’t want to go to the trouble of a new tourist visa. Mae Sai is the closest border crossing to me, which raises a few questions I am asking this community of experts about.

a. Any difficulty in an Australian exiting Thailand on a tourist visa and then returning a day later (take a look around) and receiving a 30 day exemption on the border?
b. Recommendations of a not overly expensive hotel in Tachileik?
c. Rented motorbike? I would like to ride to Mae Sai, but taking it across the border? Is there somewhere safe I can park the bike for a day?

Thanks for your assistance.

a. No problem at all to get a 30 day visa exempt entry unless you have already done 2 of them at a land border crossing this year. You could cross and immediately return if you wanted to.

b/c I cannot help with those 2 questions.

• Like 1

To be honest, there is not much to see in Tachilek, and there are better hotels in Mae Sai. A key point is that your border pass does not allow you to visit any sights outside of Tachilek itself. Unless willing to get a Myanmar visa in advance, my suggestion would be to park your motorcycle at a hotel in Mae Sai, cross to Tachilek and spend two hours looking around, then returning, spending the night in Mae Sai before returning home.

• Like 1

It has been a while since I was in Mae Sai, and I am willing to pay a little more for a decent hotel. A friend stayed recently at Baan Sabai Mae Sai and considered it excellent value for money. More backpacker oriented (and hard to find) but very cheap for an aircon room with places to eat nearby is Maesai Holic Lodge.

• Like 1

If I want to sleep in Tachilek, I always use The Nich Hotel.  5 minutes walk from the border. Clean place. Booking  on  Agoda or booking.com

You are right near the market. After the market close  there are a few restaurants around. Beer cheaper that Thailand.

You can use Thai bahts everywhere.

You can park your bike or car  on Thai side at the parking near the Wang Thong hotel, open 24 hours . Just tell you park overnight. Not expensive.

• Like 1

The Green Bus from CM or CR to Mae Sai is a safer option. From the bus station in Mae Sai, a songtaew to the border is about 20 baht from memory.

Khunnam Rimtarn is not far from Mae Sai on the Thailand side. Comfortable beds, not Thai hard. About 600 baht again from memory.

Try Agoda if you are determined to stay in Tatchilek. If that website doesn't have it, it's probably not worth staying there.

On 12/23/2017 at 5:35 PM, ubonjoe said:

a. No problem at all to get a 30 day visa exempt entry unless you have already done 2 of them at a land border crossing this year. You could cross and immediately return if you wanted to.

b/c I cannot help with those 2 questions.

Australians only get 2 weeks crossing the border here. i know have lived there over 20 years. just go to your local immigration pay the 1.900 baht to get an extension, cheers

1 minute ago, 1sickpuppy said:

Australians only get 2 weeks crossing the border here. i know have lived there over 20 years. just go to your local immigration pay the 1.900 baht to get an extension, cheers

But have you been on a border run in the last few years ? After the rule change ?

Just now, sanemax said:

But have you been on a border run in the last few years ? After the rule change ?

i only use it every 3 months know because i have a multiple entry retirement visa, before that i had to cross the border every 2 weeks. if you atemt it you may be lucky just make sure to take your flight intenery with you, but to be safe i would use the option to extend at local immigration office to be safe. google it australians only get a 2 week entry  by landcrossings mate

34 minutes ago, 1sickpuppy said:

Well the change the laws here often mate, hope it works out for you, when i used to do it was 2 weeks, cheers

Indeed they do! It is lucky you do not still rely on those border hops (which I suspect you have not done for over three years) because, starting this year., you are only allowed two visa exempt entries by land per calendar year.

Thanks for the info. I have a clearer picture now of what to do. I have already availed myself of the 1,900 baht, 30-day extension. 

My only concern is 15 or 30 days at the land border. I thought that it was 30-days for Australians. Anyone have a definite answer of the latest policy?

11 hours ago, 1sickpuppy said:

Australians only get 2 weeks crossing the border here.

Since January 1st of this year the 15 day entry rule at land border crossings no longer exists. It was rescinded when the ministerial order limiting land border crossing for a visa exempt entry to 2 per calendar year.

7 minutes ago, Ianatlarge said:

Thanks for the info. I have a clearer picture now of what to do. I have already availed myself of the 1,900 baht, 30-day extension. 

My only concern is 15 or 30 days at the land border. I thought that it was 30-days for Australians. Anyone have a definite answer of the latest policy?

Yes, you have been told the latest policy numerous times , its just your fellow Aussie confusing things by telling you old news . 30 days !!!!!!

• Like 1

On 12/23/2017 at 5:49 PM, phuketrichard said:

if ur on a tourist visa ( 60days) just go to immigration and ask for a 30day extension 1,900 baht

Otherwise as above, Just park the bike near a shop at the border,

look on agoda for a hotel

note: that imm office is not at the bridge/border; it is about 1 km on the same road in the direction of chiang rai (highway 1); nice building; people there are efficient and helpful;

building is not far from the amphoe; look for the pedestrian walkover

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Since January 1st of this year the 15 day entry rule at land border crossings no longer exists. It was rescinded when the ministerial order limiting land border crossing for a visa exempt entry to 2 per calendar year.

Thanks for the info Joe, it changes often here & i do not keep up to date with everything like you, cheers