Trickle down economics, been shown to work in Thailand

Arth

Trickle down economics, been shown to work in Thailand?

Only joking been coming here for nearly 20 years, seen it change so much ... but in all them years the average worker .. namely builders, accountant etc.. pretty much any job that most boomer westerners done for 30/40 years and have managed to retire out here on. The Thais doing these still have absolutely sweet FA and works long hours for a pittance with zero chance of buying a house and saving for the future.

A breed of Bangkok middle class Thais seem to be doing ok as in being able to look the part but i have to wonder if this is from the parents who've made vast sums on owning land/property in its varying ways or outright corruption, as opposed to earned from working.

The global phenomenon created by the neolibs seems to have made inequality here far greater that in the west in the last 2 decades despite the fact inequality in the UK/US due to QE/ZIRP and the housing bubble is enough to make the Victorians blush with shame. 

Whens the revolution going to come or are the natives taking it on the chin as the believe they're better off than ever?

It is a waterfall at the top and a fine, inconsistent mist below. 

Met Cambodians in the same predicament, but they learn English and trade and spend time in neighboring countries.  Cambodians will also attend seminars in Thailand and other countries to better themselves.  

My advice to Thais is to seek relationship outside of Thailand and learn Chinese or Bhasa.

2 hours ago, Enoon said:

Revolutions can only come when people are prepared to die for them.

More importantly.......when they are prepared to kill for them.

Not an easy step for me to take......how about you?

Agree, not an easy step but at age 70, unable to afford a decent retirement my own country and now they are planning on coming after my Social Security and Medicare...well, I have less to lose....

Edited by wwest5829

Trickle down has been promoted by the Republicans since Reagan Bush Senior Bush Junior and now president dump

it is never worked before yet the stupefied masses have been convinced it’ll work this time!

By now most intelligent people I’ve known that trickle down only works for the wealthy not the average citizen

You are comparing the Thais to western people, that's not the right comparison IMO.

Compare them to Thais in 1960, you will be amazed at the difference in the standard of living, especially in urban areas.

My ex-gf managed to buy a small townhouse (on a mortgage, but still), own a car, and even bought another small condo for investment, and all that from working in a bank.

I would say that's more than most people in my home country can accomplish.

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Agree, not an easy step but at age 70, unable to afford a decent retirement my own country and now they are planning on coming after my Social Security and Medicare...well, I have less to lose....

And the politicians still keep taking their annual pay increases (needed or not) thanks to Juliar.

Out here in small town farm country, most people seem to be coming up in the world... though as seems to be the nature of farmers, they buy machines. Fifteen years ago, there were few cars and no tractors... About 10 years ago, someone bought a tractor and now it seems so many have them. Same with cars and pick-ups... Some of that goes out to debt but not as much as you might think... 

I do see people here having a much more typical middle class type existence.

"trickle down" is a term of disparagement used by liberals to diminish the real importance of "supply side" economics...supply side economics works quite well...if businesses are left alone to flourish, they will do so...and employees and public will benefit...just think...which is a better investment for society...give 1,000 usd to 1million people or give 1 billion usd to a few "bill gates and elon musk" types...which will better the economy and society...the difference that exist in a thai economy is pervasive corruption...this is why the united nations and other organizations are worthless...if you give a billion usd to a corrupt country (e.g., thailand or south africa), then you have only lined the pockets of the few corrupt...trickle down or supply side economics works, but only if the economy is a meritocracy...

On 12/24/2017 at 2:03 PM, soomak said:

You are comparing the Thais to western people, that's not the right comparison IMO.

Compare them to Thais in 1960, you will be amazed at the difference in the standard of living, especially in urban areas.

My ex-gf managed to buy a small townhouse (on a mortgage, but still), own a car, and even bought another small condo for investment, and all that from working in a bank.

And.. what does she owe? It's all on account isn't it?

When and if she pays it off, she'll have advantage over westerners who also buy everything on credit, but until then

she's poor. She's accomplished everything people in the the west have...houses and cars and massive debt.

On 12/24/2017 at 2:03 PM, soomak said:

And all of that on loans most likely... Easy credit does not equal prosperity or wealth.