Painting (art) banned occupation or not

canuckamuck

There must be some folks on the forum here who paint, so they must have discovered if there is an issue with painting in Thailand.

I am not a painter normally, but I recently painted an 18 square meter mural as a stage backdrop in our village (voluntary, I even supplied the paint). Now people are quite pleased with the result and  are asking me to do more, for example the daycare has a new building and would like some cartoony stuff. I said no, I would get in trouble, but I got some sour looks, so I thought I would ask. Is this sort of thing trouble or not. I would have to do it for free I assume.

Also how about work on canvas? Is there restrictions on that? I would love to hear from some artists on this.

18 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

A definite grey area. On one hand I would just be doing something nice for the daycare, on the other hand it really is something other people get paid for. I would love to do it, but I suppose I should error on the side of caution.

Do you  paint on canvas @mauGR1 ?

Yes, a grey area, but imho, unless there is somebody who really hate you for whatever reason, i would guess there is nothing to fear.

I used to do some paint on canvas , but recently i prefer painting decorations on walls and other materials.

Edited by mauGR1
grammar

21 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

A definite grey area. On one hand I would just be doing something nice for the daycare, on the other hand it really is something other people get paid for. I would love to do it, but I suppose I should error on the side of caution.

Do you  paint on canvas @mauGR1 ?

Get Banksy to do it.....then Sell it! Happy Xmas. :whistling:

22 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

unless i am earning money from it,

Maybe then and maybe not now.

Might be classified as volunteer work that could require a permit.

Maybe...could.... might. Seems to depend on whether a Thai gets a grudge against a farang and reports a violation. Take Halfaboy's advice as a minimum.

49 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Maybe then and maybe not now.

Might be classified as volunteer work that could require a permit.

Maybe...could.... might. Seems to depend on whether a Thai gets a grudge against a farang and reports a violation. Take Halfaboy's advice as a minimum.

I hadn't noticed halfaboy's remark till just now. Good advice, if I can trust the headman that is :laugh:

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The probability of the police or immigration visiting a Thai village is quite low. As long as the poo yai is onside with it, there should not be a problem. And once it is done, who is going to say who did it?

In a small village, people will definitely say who did that. The question is how interested will they be in the answer.

On 24/12/2017 at 12:04 PM, mauGR1 said:

I've been told years ago by immigration officers that, unless i am earning money from it, i can do any work that i like to do.

But i am not sure about painting the outside of the buildings in your village.

It had nothing to do with immigration, but the ministry of labour.

Only naive fooos will pay a policeman who says they can't paint their own house.

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It had nothing to do with immigration, but the ministry of labour.

Only naive fooos will pay a policeman who says they can't paint their own house.

I guess you are right, anyway, at the time i asked a direct question, and i got a direct answer from a Immigration officer.

I don't know that all that many Thais, especially village folk, are all that versed in the finer points of labor regulations pertaining to foreigners (and more specifically, to Westerners). Some are surprised to learn about the 90 days thing, or what running a foreign owned business actually entails. Last immigration home visit, even the officers had to be lectured by their boss as to what's what.

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

In a small village, people will definitely say who did that. The question is how interested will they be in the answer.

Your danger isn't from the locals, it's from those that post your work on "social media", and the thousands of reposts that will occur, thereby inevitably coming to the attention of some bureaucrat that loves nothing more than to bang up farangs.

IMO don't do it, unless you enjoy lying in your pit at night wondering if they are coming for you.

Even if nothing ever happened, you should feel no guilt not doing something in a country that has legislated to criminalise those that wish to help out of the goodness of their heart.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 12:04 PM, mauGR1 said:

I've been told years ago by immigration officers that, unless i am earning money from it, i can do any work that i like to do.

But i am not sure about painting the outside of the buildings in your village.

You can do anything on your ( family ) property, but anything that would deprive a Thai of income done on other people's property is pushing it.

Personally i would say go and do it. Get a few photos of the locals, kids etc with brushes, rollers or whatever being involved as a back up if you deem it necessary. Nothing will come of it.  Remember the farang filling in potholes or whatever recently?All over the media...bugger all happened.  We need to get past this paranoia. Especially the paranoia that seems to feed on itself on this forum.

Work is work...expending energy with or without payment I think the rules say. I reckon the reality for the everyday Joe is much different, get on with the locals and you won't have a problem.

again 99% of the posters only write nonsense, it is not a grey area, it is very clear and easy. you can paint whatever you want.

1. you are not paid

2. it is no voluntary work because you are not empleyed voluntary by any organisation

common sense is missing in TV more and more, only spreading rumors is the main thing.

By the logic of the posters, you cant help your neighbour or friends, even you not aloowed to pick up your kids in school or attend a meeting in school., or you can tell anybody what means a word in your native langue. 

People who get peoblems with illeagal working are 100% people who earning money,

nobody else,