What's Blinking In The Sky? Satelite Rentering Atmosphere?

Tony Clifton

Have a look right now. Look south, about 45 degrees above horizon.

Wife and I have been looking at something in the sky for over 1/2 hour now. Blinks, changes colour, moves from right to left slightly, up and down, fades in and out.

Not a lantern, not a plane or helicopter, not a star.

Could be a satellite reentering the atmosphere but doesn't look like the two I've seen doing so some years ago.

Weird.

If it changes colors between red and green, chances are it's a tethered balloon, either for military uses or meteorologically...

They do tend to sway around, are pretty high and have anti aircraft collision lights on them...

You'd be amazed how many UFO's sightings/reports have been caused by these balloons!

Most probably a weather balloon like Monty says, did not know they have lights. It was much closer when we first spotted it, but the blinking lights and way it moved slightly but quickly right to left , up down clearly showed it was no plane or copter. It hung there, even came back this way and then away again.

I miss having a telescope. Been thinking about building one for a while. I wouldn't be too brave going out in isolated areas at night though, unlike back home.