help to find nice - non expensive room in bkk

pumpjack

my gf lives in bkk suburb of aom noi just west of bang wa,  there is not a lot to do in that area and to be honest i dont like it,  its too industrialised and little to do,  

she wants me to come to bkk live with her ,  i told her i would rather live central bkk or even bang na area , where it is easy access to everywhere like language school,muay thai and mma gyms , parks etc. plus good skytrain access. 

where can i find a decent standard thai style room , maybe 40 sqm with shower room & balcony.        i want to put an aircon in and paint it myself and make it nice , with nice new furniture etc.     must be in a decent enough area not run down .

how much would i expect to pay for something like this ? 

Edited by pumpjack

Thai style rooms are usually 25-30sqm. There are literally hundreds of them in the Bang Na area. You can get a room with aircon already installed for about 3,000 baht a month.

These places are not difficult to find for a Thai person. Just start at the beginning of Sukhumvit 105 and ask at every apartment block you come across as you head deeper into the soi. (You will have to go down side sois a little way too).

Key questions to ask are the price of the room, any common fee/service charge, cost of water and electric per unit and is there a minimum charge for utilities.

Most single room apartment buildings will have a phone number posted somewhere obvious.  I'd suggest you pick the neighborhood you would most like to live in, then pick a few buildings you like the look of.  have GF call the posted number or just go into the office and inquire.

Most of these type units are rented furnished.  Somewhat rare to find units not furnished.  I don't know if this is a tax thing or what but several times I've seen monthly rent statements from similar rooms where the rent for the room space is itemized at about 60% of the rent and furnishings itemized at 40%..

I you have a lot of time to look, best to find a condo and rent from the owner rather than an apartment. Usually, with a condo you continue with the owners direct electricity rate: under B4/u, rather than the marked up rate most apartments charge.  If your planning on AC, the difference over time can be huge.

Try LUMPINI MEGA CITY CONDOS. Fully furnished, most with AC ( 1 or 2 units ) some with washing machines and / or microwave, cable TV - Thai mostly standard, you can get AIS broadband - actually relibable ADSL installed, pool and exercise room. 7-11 and a few restaurants in buildings. Electric at govt rates. 26 - 30 condo area, small balcony

CLEAN buildings, and decent security, lobby each building with a live body. Keycard building entry, laundry and water machines main floor...also at elevated parking lots, 28 floors high with 5 buildings

Craw to MEGA BANG NA Mall in 12 minutes - many bank offices, major stores, "bars", restaurants and fast food chains, Big C and Robertsons / TOPS,  ( LOTUS a 5 minutes walk from MEGÀ ) New wing just opened.

GREAT bus service to other malls, immigration, central BKK.

YEARLY ONLY starting  from  6000 a month. LOOK AT THE RENTAL POSTINGS NEXT TO OFFICE...NOT INSIDE OFFICE for private rental offerings.  Have your Lady call to inquire, do NOT call yourself!

@pumpjack I would add that right about now is an excellent time to find a unit in a Thai style apartment.

Many workers will be changing jobs in the new year, and they will also change apartments to live closer to their new job. The start of January is the time where apartments have the highest number if vacant rooms.

11 hours ago, dddave said:

I don't know if this is a tax thing or what but several times I've seen monthly rent statements from similar rooms where the rent for the room space is itemized at about 60% of the rent and furnishings itemized at 40%..

It is a tax thing. It saves the owner about 5.5 per cent tax on the total annual income of the furniture portion of the invoice.

Which can be a lot if money for a big building.

I see everyone is answering as if he's asking about a rental. Maybe he is? But when I read the post, it sounds like he's looking for a place to buy. How else could he paint it himself, install air-conditioning, and furnish it himself? Perhaps it could be made clear what is being looked for? A rental? A place to buy? If you want to paint and furnish it yourself, I think it would be a very unusual find for a rental. Although, if you got a rental and installed air-conditioning in a place that didn't have it already (hard to imagine in a decent place), I'm sure the landlord would be overjoyed at the free upgrade to their property!

11 hours ago, blackcab said:

It is a tax thing. It saves the owner about 5.5 per cent tax on the total annual income of the furniture portion of the invoice.

Which can be a lot if money for a big building.

Thanks for the explanation.  I suspected it was a tax issue but could never get a straight answer.

"I see everyone is answering as if he's asking about a rental. Maybe he is? But when I read the post, it sounds like he's looking for a place to buy." 

You're right, it's not at all clear.  When I originally rented my 70 s/m studio condo there was no AC installed. I made a deal with the owner that I would be allowed to install AC on my own and he would guarantee I could stay 5 years without a rent increase.  That was 14 years ago and he has never raised my rent and for my part, I fix any minor problems without bothering him.  The only time I had to call him was when some ceramic floor tiles came loose.  He had them reset right away and said as long as I wanted to stay, I could and that he will never raise the rent.

Pretty good deal.

Edited by dddave

23 minutes ago, dddave said:

Thanks for the explanation.  I suspected it was a tax issue but could never get a straight answer.

"I see everyone is answering as if he's asking about a rental. Maybe he is? But when I read the post, it sounds like he's looking for a place to buy." 

You're right, it's not at all clear.  When I originally rented my 70 s/m studio condo there was no AC installed. I made a deal with the owner that I would be allowed to install AC on my own and he would guarantee I could stay 5 years without a rent increase.  That was 14 years ago and he has never raised my rent and for my part, I fix any minor problems without bothering him.  The only time I had to call him was when some ceramic floor tiles came loose.  He had them reset right away and said as long as I wanted to stay, I could and that he will never raise the rent.

Pretty good deal.

A lucky dude then... all the best.. happy 2018 

11 hours ago, Sig said:

I see everyone is answering as if he's asking about a rental. Maybe he is? But when I read the post, it sounds like he's looking for a place to buy. How else could he paint it himself, install air-conditioning, and furnish it himself? Perhaps it could be made clear what is being looked for? A rental? A place to buy? If you want to paint and furnish it yourself, I think it would be a very unusual find for a rental. Although, if you got a rental and installed air-conditioning in a place that didn't have it already (hard to imagine in a decent place), I'm sure the landlord would be overjoyed at the free upgrade to their property!

Too many posts like this are "bloggers" looking for tips to pass on for more "clicks" to make money.

If it is genuine, then will his GF be willing to move away from family, friends and employment?

So many details missing: how long is he staying is one you missed.

:burp: