webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, stevenl said:

Was it perceived as being banned? Looking forward to your sources.

I think this is related to chess being historically related to Iran.

It had been reported that not only Israel, but Qatari and Iranian players would also be banned.

"Top players from Iran, Israel, and Qatar, meanwhile, are prohibited from participating due to restrictions on people with those nationalities traveling to the country."

http://www.newsweek.com/saudi-arabia-chess-championships-boycott-713571

8 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

It had been reported that not only Israel, but Qatari and Iranian players would also be banned.

"Top players from Iran, Israel, and Qatar, meanwhile, are prohibited from participating due to restrictions on people with those nationalities traveling to the country."

Old news ^ : Saudi have since allowed Irans and the  Qataris to attend 

On 27/12/2017 at 8:57 AM, FreddieRoyle said:

Incredible to see anti-Semitism is absolutely fine, so long as it is this lot doing it. Members of a certain ideology have a free ride to abuse whomsoever they want with nary a complaint lodged. I blame it squarely on PC having gotten completely out of control.

.....says an advocate of the new style PC....

(the right wing PC)

19 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

My reply was in response to this comment which was cited in said reply:

"Was it perceived as being banned? Looking forward to your sources."

21 hours ago, Opl said:

"I am ready to stand for my principles': Double world chess champion says she won't defend titles in Saudi Arabia because of kingdom's inequality"

The Ukrainian, 27, will not travel to Saudi Arabia, where she wouldn't even be allowed to walk down the street unaccompanied. 

"In a few days I am going to lose two World Champion titles - one by one," Anna Muzychuk says. Just because I decided not to go to Saudi Arabia."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/world-chess-champions-anna-muzychuk-saudi-arabia-rapid-blitz-inequality-a8128751.html

muzychuk-2.jpg

Good to hear that there is 1 Ukranian that puts morals before corruption.

She will have a tough life. In Ukrania.

20 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, but not allowed to play under their flag, so they are not being allowed by their country of origin to play.

31 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

And you're writing this and quoting me to say you agree with my post.

My remark about being banned was referring to another poster claiming that Chess has been perceived as being banned in SA for a long time. I asked for sources, he gave nothing.

15 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

My reply was in response to this comment which was cited in said reply:

"Was it perceived as being banned? Looking forward to your sources."

And that comment did not refer to this tournament.

But on a positive note:

Belgium has just appointed the world's first ever FEMALE embassador to Saudi Arabia.

When the salafists will have recovered from that blow, we will send them a gay embassador.

Unless they promise to buy FN weapons of course.

25 minutes ago, stevenl said:

And you're writing this and quoting me to say you agree with my post.

My remark about being banned was referring to another poster claiming that Chess has been perceived as being banned in SA for a long time. I asked for sources, he gave nothing.

My mistake about that. That said, I googled "Is chess banned from saudi arabia" and up popped a link to a very prominent newspaper that is banned from access to the Thai internet. The headline read "Saudi Arabia Bans Chess After Grand Mufti Says It's A Waste of Time"

5 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

My mistake about that. That said, I googled "Is chess banned from saudi arabia" and up popped a link to a very prominent newspaper that is banned from access to the Thai internet. The headline read "Saudi Arabia Bans Chess After Grand Mufti Says It's A Waste of Time"

Yes, and straight away it has been made clear that was not correct.

'It was perceived as been banned', as claimed, is IMO not correct,.

9 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, and straight away it has been made clear that was not correct.

'It was perceived as been banned', as claimed, is IMO not correct,.

Due to Saudi/Iran/Qatar relations , they are warring with each other .

They are all very strict with giving visas to each others citizens  , and normally Iranians and Qataris would not be given visas to visit Saudi , but the Saudi gov made an exception is this case

23 hours ago, Opl said:

"I am ready to stand for my principles': Double world chess champion says she won't defend titles in Saudi Arabia because of kingdom's inequality"

The Ukrainian, 27, will not travel to Saudi Arabia, where she wouldn't even be allowed to walk down the street unaccompanied. 

"In a few days I am going to lose two World Champion titles - one by one," Anna Muzychuk says. Just because I decided not to go to Saudi Arabia."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/world-chess-champions-anna-muzychuk-saudi-arabia-rapid-blitz-inequality-a8128751.html

muzychuk-2.jpg

Yes, you stand op for your rights girl, but may I ask what you are doing out of the kitchen??

Answer to Thaifelix:

And just in case it was an attempt to sarcasm:

I think that bricklayers should not attempt sarcasm. Those attempts are bound to fail dramatically.

Bricklayers should not be allowed near a keyboard. And what idiot told them about google? Now the bricklayers think they can know everything, even without any education.

PS. My comments exclude Polish bricklayers, you know, the ones that are not on the dole or retired, but actually lay bricks. Nothing wrong with bricklaying. It's just the British ones.

Edited by oldhippy
felix

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

But on a positive note:

Belgium has just appointed the world's first ever FEMALE embassador to Saudi Arabia.

When the salafists will have recovered from that blow, we will send them a gay embassador.

Unless they promise to buy FN weapons of course.

The FN Five-seveN is a brilliant pistol. Ammo is very pricey however.

The fact that FN made an extremely effective weapon was displayed at Fort Hood where everyone who was shot centre mass died...

1 minute ago, dave_boo said:

The FN Five-seveN is a brilliant pistol. Ammo is very pricey however.

The fact that FN made an extremely effective weapon was displayed at Fort Hood where everyone who was shot centre mass died...

Ah.... I am so proud to be a Belgian.

Small country, big deeds.

Just a handful of hired murderers got us The Congo with those weapons.

Just now, oldhippy said:

Ah.... I am so proud to be a Belgian.

Small country, big deeds.

Just a handful of hired murderers got us The Congo with those weapons.

And you have excellent beer, chocolate, and draft horses. 

There was a team of Belgians at a stock show who managed to draw 7700 kg almost 2,2 meters. Magnificent animals. 

1 minute ago, dave_boo said:

There was a team of Belgians at a stock show who managed to draw 7700 kg almost 2,2 meters. Magnificent animals. 

And we don't waste our horses... When they die, they end up as prime beef in Dutch restaurants.

:sorry:

(I hope that this post did not alienate my only friend on TVF)

11 minutes ago, dave_boo said:

And that's only our horses!!!

Do you know John Massis?

He used to pull trains, airplanes, hot air ballons with his teeth.

Actually, we Belgians all do that when we are not too enlightened with Trappist beer.

3840720906.jpg

31 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

And we don't waste our horses... When they die, they end up as prime beef in Dutch restaurants.

:sorry:

(I hope that this post did not alienate my only friend on TVF)

There's certain things I just can't eat. And horses are one of them.

But it's not my place to force that on anyone else.

And yep; Belgian men have also done very well in strongman competitions over the years.

The way Israel treats the Palestinians is no better than the way the South African state treated black people under apartheid, had the rest of the world applied similar tactics to those that isolated SA around forty years ago then the world might be a better place now.

17 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

The way Israel treats the Palestinians is no better than the way the South African state treated black people under apartheid, had the rest of the world applied similar tactics to those that isolated SA around forty years ago then the world might be a better place now.

Spot on... check and checkmate.

3 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Arabs have more rights in Israel than they do in so called Palestine

8 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Arabs have more rights in Israel than they do in so called Palestine

The only reason that might be remotely true would be because of the stranglehold that Israel illegally has had on the Palestinian Territories for several generations.

Arabs have no rights even to their own homes, they are routinely evicted at gunpoint with no redress, but I'm sure you are fully aware of that even if, as it seems, you are in denial.

5 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Black people in South Africa were citizens, The Palestinians (at least those living in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip) are not citizens of Israel. If and when Israel annexes these territories and fails to give them rights, you'd have a better case. May want to check what de Klerk had to say about that, pretty much as above.

Other than that the obvious hypocrisy of citing Saudi Arabia's action as relating to struggle for equal rights or against oppression is quite amusing.