Windshield Replacement Cost

longball53098

I own a 2005 Isuzu D Max pickup. I bought new way back in 2005. Truck has been a good vehicle and now it's time for a new windshield. It has several small spots where I have taken stone hits that caused small pits but no cracks or starred spots. So the question is how do I approach getting a new windshield using my insurance? I have been with Viriyah all these years and never submitted any type of claim. Will they pay for a new windshield? If not does anyone know how much places charge for this as I have never had a windshield done here only in the USA years ago? I have not stopped anywhere to ask as of yet. I see a local chain called Thai Car Glass? Maybe today I will drive there and ask but if anyone on TVF can give some feedback it will be helpful.

Thanks

I don’t know how Thai insurance company will handle this. But US insurance company will pay you to fix the small spots as long as smaller than a dollar bill. Before I came to Thailand, my windshield got hit by a small rock on the highway that caused 2 small crack spots next to each other. I went to a windshield repair place in Norfolk, it’s fixed in an hour and the totally cost is $75, and the insurance picks up $70. If the windshield need to be replaced, I would have to pay $1000 deductible.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I had the windshield changed on my Mitsubishi Strada (2003) about 3 months ago, and it only cost 3,000 Baht.

So I don't think it's worth it, to get the insurance company involved.

But it could be interesting; because from new, the insurance premium (and value of the car) will go down every year until it's 50%. Thereafter the premium will stay the same, but the value will continue down. Normally the premium will not go down the following year, if you have a claim, but if it's already down to the minimum, will it then go up!?. 

2 hours ago, lj cm said:

I had the windshield changed on my Mitsubishi Strada (2003) about 3 months ago, and it only cost 3,000 Baht.

So I don't think it's worth it, to get the insurance company involved.

But it could be interesting; because from new, the insurance premium (and value of the car) will go down every year until it's 50%. Thereafter the premium will stay the same, but the value will continue down. Normally the premium will not go down the following year, if you have a claim, but if it's already down to the minimum, will it then go up!?. 

If that is what happens in Thailand we have finally found something logical.

Meanwhile in Oz it costs me less to ensure a brand new 40k SUV than it does to ensure a 2003 BMW valued at less than $3000

38 minutes ago, malcoml said:

If that is what happens in Thailand we have finally found something logical.

Meanwhile in Oz it costs me less to ensure a brand new 40k SUV than it does to ensure a 2003 BMW valued at less than $3000

I had something similar years ago in Aus the response from the insurer was that it’s more expensive to fix older cars for parts etc.

Didnt make sense to me but most insurers seem to be linked up with specific repairers so might be bulk buying of parts or something ?

Had my old Spivo windshield replaces a couple of years ago Insurance paid. But I did loose a percentage of my No claims. Cost me an extra 2000bt the next time I renewed it. If you have A1 insurance they will pay for all the costs but as stated you will loose something. You have to have a toss up if it's worth it.

I suspect that without serious damage you will find it hard to make a claim. But windscreens aren't usually very expensive, under 10,000 Baht.

Be very careful about the windscreen you get fitted as all three variations are available in thailand.

A few years ago our windscreen had to be replaced, we assumed that it would be a laminated one as the original was, so didn't check. Fast forward a few years and while about 30km from home there was a bang and the windscreen broke, to my horror I immediately knew that the replacement was a plain gass one, not even toughened. Lucky we managed to get to a lay-by before it went completely, but we could easily have been badly injured  ? .

We finally got the insurance company to replace it with a proper laminated screen after quite a fight, after proving that thier representative had cheated us the first time. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

5 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I suspect that without serious damage you will find it hard to make a claim. But windscreens aren't usually very expensive, under 10,000 Baht.

Be very careful about the windscreen you get fitted as all three variations are available in thailand.

A few years ago our windscreen had to be replaced, we assumed that it would be a laminated one as the original was, so didn't check. Fast forward a few years and while about 30km from home ther was a bang and the windscreen broke, to my horror I immediately knew that the replacement was a plain gass one, not even toughened. Lucky we managed to get to a lay-by before it went completely, but we could easily have been badly ? .

We finally got the insurance company to replace it with a proper laminated screen after quite a fight, after proving that thier representative had cheated us the first time. 

Very good point; and I completely forgot about that. At the shop, I got the choice between "normal" and laminated screen. I choose the laminated; and it actually only cost 300 Baht more.

I would expect that with a 2005 car you only have the 3rd party cover? If so, wind screen repairs/replacement will not be covered. If you have second class it could be, check the policy, if 1st class it will be covered, but there may be deductables + premium will be raised most likely.

3 hours ago, Jap Pumkin said:

If your in Ban Chang there is a windscreen guy on Suk directly across from the soi where all the bars are. I did a rear window in my pick there & he does an OK job.

Thanks. I stopped by this shop yesterday based on a local friend's suggestion. He quoted me a price of just over 4,000 baht for a OEM windshield. I was happy that this is so low. I will also check with the larger company down Suk towards Rayong called Thai Car Glass for their price. So thanks for that.

BTB, If I have road damage to the car I would expect the insurance to cover what the policy covers and what I pay for minus any deductibles. I have paid them for 12 years now so why should I not check with them to see what is covered? I will not use the insurance if the cost is so small though as I do not wish to increase the premiums for a frivolous claim. No, I do not expect to use the insurance for "normal wear and tear".

Re: "So the question is how do I approach getting a new windshield using my insurance?"

In the first instance ask the insurance company!  It depends on your own policy and conditions, not the experiences of anyone else.

I had my windshield replace by Viraya. The price was around B80,000. They will conduct a survey, determine what is covered under your policy, arrange for the replacement, and pay the bill. I just dropped the car off, and picked it up later. Only if they determine that there is any cost to you should you bother to shop around yourself for a better deal. That's what insurance is for. In my case the amount claimed did not breach the threshold above which the insurance premium price for the following year would increase.

In Thailand most drivers claim for every little scratch, dent, defect all the time...it's no big deal. The insurance company surveyor comes along to inspect your vehicle at any location advise by you, e.g. your home, or office...photographs the damage, and your driving license, asks for a description of what happened if necessary, asks for times and dates for when the damage occurred (this is a little ridiculous sometimes as you would not necessarily know exactly...so just make it up...they don't care really, unless another party is involved). They send the details to their office who compare the claim to your policy and advise you of the outcome. Then you can decide what to do.