Settlement Visa Accepted - Can GF Get Schengen Visa from the UK Right Away?

My girlfriend has been accepted for a settlement visa to the UK, which I'm over-the-moon about.  The only thing is that I can't go back just yet as I want to miss the current tax year which ends at the start of April.

I was thinking about doing the following:

Fly to the UK with her - collect residency card/open bank account for her/register with doctors - take her to  Europe until the start of the new tax year.

I have read online that in order to get a Schengen Visa for Europe (from the UK), she needs to be resident of the UK for at least three months.  Does anyone know if this is true or not?

The other option is to go to Macau or Japan in the meantime but I'd rather get back to Europe if this is an option.  I would leave her with family in the UK but she'll go insane not knowing anyone, especially with how cold it is right now.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:  I was also thinking Northern Ireland - Ireland as I'll be outside of the UK and there is no border, though I don't want to jeopardise her UK visa (on the off-chance that it might).

Edited by Marcoose

To get a Schengen visa when in the UK you have to apply in one of the embassies of the Schengen club in London.

Done this with my wife.

Prepare for a whole day of pain and suffering standing outside in long queues when you eventually get to the front you are not allowed to go in with her for the "interview" to get the free visa.

Your better off applying in Thailand to the embassy of the country you want to visit.

• Like 1

I think that once your girlfriend has her UK visa franked on her passport you would have to purchase flight tickets to the UK..then apply to the eg Dutch Embassy in Bangkok for a schengen visa.
However..you will have to show finance..booked accomodation in Holland..full itenery of what you will be doing in Holland etc etc
Best to do a lot of "homework" before doing anything imo

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

I think that once your girlfriend has her UK visa franked on her passport you would have to purchase flight tickets to the UK..then apply to the eg Dutch Embassy in Bangkok for a schengen visa.
However..you will have to show finance..booked accomodation in Holland..full itenery of what you will be doing in Holland etc etc
Best to do a lot of "homework" before doing anything imo

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I agree.

With her visa to the UK she sould have no problem getting one in Bangkok at the Dutch Embassy for the Schenger Visa as she has proof of an onward flight and proof of not planning to live in Holland. 

I'm not sure why so many people are pointing out that the UK isn't in the Schengen zone.  The question is more about how easy it would be for her to apply for a visa to a country that IS in the Schengen zone soon after settling in the UK.    

Have you checked the Schengen sticky?

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724180-schengen-visa-faq-when-applying-from-thailand/

It also has a bit on visas for Thai that are a family member (or in a relation akin to marriage) with a EU/EEA national.

See the bit below "I am a family member (spouse, child) of an EU/EEA citizen:"

Basically if you are in a durable relation with her akin to marriage you should be able to get a free Schengen visa with minimum requirements. Some embassies insist you  need to be married, some find a durable relationship enough (the Dutch for instance) and will accept any evidence of such (cohabitation, or simply a long lasting relation of 1-2 or more years).

Under the EU/EEA family and if eligable  rules these embassies should NOT be askin for: proof of return, financial solvability, Insurance , flight reservation, hotel reservation, travel itinerary or residency status and so on. Sadly some embassies do so regardless... 

You can apply from both the UK and Thailand regardless if residency/visa status. Some Schengen embassies wrongfully insist that the foreigner must have a UK residence permit but that's a load of ****. A visitor visa or even no legal visiting status at all would all be perfectly fine. Though if possible i'd get the Schengen visa in order while still in Thailand just incase you have to deal with a more notorious embassy or if something is missing and the required items are back in TH.  Giving them what they want, if possible and if it doesn't really cost you anyhing is the best approach though I'd do so under protest and if they really give you a hard time you can share your experience with  EU home affairs or the EU ombudsman Solvit.

PS: "Fly to the UK with her - collect residency card/open bank account for her/register with doctors - take her to  Europe"

The UK is in Europe , so is (N) Ireland. 555 :P

Edited by Donutz

1 hour ago, Donutz said:

Have you checked the Schengen sticky?

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724180-schengen-visa-faq-when-applying-from-thailand/

It also has a bit on visas for Thai that are a family member (or in a relation akin to marriage) with a EU/EEA national.

See the bit below "I am a family member (spouse, child) of an EU/EEA citizen:"

Basically if you are in a durable relation with her akin to marriage you should be able to get a free Schengen visa with minimum requirements. Some embassies insist you  need to be married, some find a durable relationship enough (the Dutch for instance) and will accept any evidence of such (cohabitation, or simply a long lasting relation of 1-2 or more years).

Under the EU/EEA family and if eligable  rules these embassies should NOT be askin for: proof of return, financial solvability, Insurance , flight reservation, hotel reservation, travel itinerary or residency status and so on. Sadly some embassies do so regardless... 

You can apply from both the UK and Thailand regardless if residency/visa status. Some Schengen embassies wrongfully insist that the foreigner must have a UK residence permit but that's a load of ****. A visitor visa or even no legal visiting status at all would all be perfectly fine. Though if possible i'd get the Schengen visa in order while still in Thailand just incase you have to deal with a more notorious embassy or if something is missing and the required items are back in TH.  Giving them what they want, if possible and if it doesn't really cost you anyhing is the best approach though I'd do so under protest and if they really give you a hard time you can share your experience with  EU home affairs or the EU ombudsman Solvit.

PS: "Fly to the UK with her - collect residency card/open bank account for her/register with doctors - take her to  Europe"

The UK is in Europe , so is (N) Ireland. 555 :P

I meant mainland Europe :).  From a tax perspective this is all that matters for me right now.  

The problem with getting her the visa from here is that we need to leave quite soon.

Does anyone know how she would go about getting a visa for Ireland, with it not being in Schengen?  Same thing - go to Irish Embassy in London?