Thai police in New Year warning - shooting in the air makes you a murderer

webfact

Thai police in New Year warning - shooting in the air makes you a murderer

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thai police have been out on the streets to tell the public not to shoot in the air at New Year.

Cops in U-Thong district of Suphanburi were parading about with placards saying firing in the air would make you a murderer.

Arrests were promised for anyone celebrating 2018 in this fashion, reported Daily News.

Deputy chief Charn Yangngam toured the shops, gold traders, and banks in the area - and asked everyone to pass on the message to the kids.

Celebratory gunfire has been known to cause death around the world.

In the US the habit of firing in the air has differing sanctions from state and is treated as a misdemeanor and a felony, according to Wikipedia.

At New Year in Georgia in 2010 a four year old boy was killed inside his church "The Church of God of Prophesy" after a stray bullet was presumed to have entered via the roof.

Someone was hit in Thailand at a wedding last year.

The practice is banned in most countries

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-28

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

In the US the habit of firing in the air has differing sanctions from state and is treated as a misdemeanor and a felony,

And they are given serious punishment as a deterrent.

That is the difference, but then, the same can be said about most crimes here.

Murder needs intention to kill, this intention can be transferred. Shooting in the air would make you reckless, if the bullet came down and killed someone it does not make you a murderer unless your intent was to kill someone.  It is manslaughter. 

However I am speaking about in the real world, Thailand seems to make things up as it goes along.

2 hours ago, kingkenny said:

Murder needs intention to kill, this intention can be transferred. Shooting in the air would make you reckless, if the bullet came down and killed someone it does not make you a murderer unless your intent was to kill someone.  It is manslaughter. 

However I am speaking about in the real world, Thailand seems to make things up as it goes along.

Good point but wouldn't the objective get lost in that debate with those that don't quite grasp gravity. 

9 hours ago, kingkenny said:

In the UK recklessness, even whilst drunk, can be enough to show mens rea, guilty mind, enough to convict you of murder. This is whether or not you intended to kill, the recklessness can be enough to prove malice aforethought, a necessary element of murder as opposed to manslaughter. The Thai law is much more leaky with hot blood being enough of an excuse to downgrade murder to manslaughter.

Fascinating! Does the charge extend to the RTP, itself? Because I've watched them do just that; and not for the first time, I'm sure. 

I A few years ago I attended the funeral of my wife's uncle - he had been one of those volunteer policemen in the khaki fatigues who turn out at various events .
As the cremation got going a bunch of his mates, in uniform, produced weapons and started firing into the air. One had an old M16 rifle. After a few rounds he (inevitably) had a stoppage. He brought the rifle down to his waist, pointing it straight at the spectators, and started fumbling with it to clear it. Another with an automatic pistol fired into the air until it stopped going bang, and then without glancing at the weapon or checking the safety catch, stuffed it into his waistband!

And these were supposedly trained policemen?

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 12/28/2017 at 10:34 AM, AGareth2 said:

for murder

someone has to die

teach them English please

Someone should teach English to the genius who wrote the OP title and article as well:

"shooting/firing in the air" is much more difficult than "shooting/firing into the air". Unless one is on an airplane, of course.

Edited by MaxYakov

On 12/28/2017 at 9:46 AM, webfact said:

Cops in U-Thong district of Suphanburi were parading about with placards saying firing in the air would make you a murderer.

is in line with the unthinking way the thai police interpret and make up their own versions of the thai laws;

and also in line with the current ultra-conservative mindset of 'thai authorities', which could at any time further turn against ex-pats