Schoolboy, 8, hands in 40,000 baht at Tesco Lotus - and he's happy with 20 baht reward!

webfact

Schoolboy, 8, hands in 40,000 baht at Tesco Lotus - and he's happy with 20 baht reward!

5pm.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

A charming and honest Thai schoolboy got national recognition after handing in a wallet containing 40,000 baht to the counter at the Tesco Lotus branch in Trang.

Thanaphat Piyapong was featured on several news stations and commented that he was proud to return the money.

The innocent little boy certainly didn't expect anything when the owner was called over the loudspeaker and collected the lost money.

Neither did he make any negative comment when he got his reward - 20 baht!

sb.jpg

He just said he was glad to help and proudly showed his 20 baht note to a person who photographed him and posted the story on the Facebook page of Hormthip Thip, a shop at Lotus.

TV presenters cooed over Thanaphat, nicknamed "Garfield" and aged just 8, who said he went with his mum to Lotus after school and was playing about when he found the money. He handed it in immediately.

His school - Kantang Suksa - made a fuss of him and prepared to give him a certificate. Teachers said he was a lovely boy.

TV shows said that it was so charming that he was proud of his 20 baht - but, of course, they added that it might have been nicer if the owner of the money had shown a little more "nam jai" in the amount given.

Many people on social media said he deserved more than 20 baht.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-29

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, webfact said:

Neither did he make any negative comment when he got his reward - 20 baht!

Disgraceful.

I know a reward is  the choice of the person to whom the money was returned, but it would have been better not to give a reward, than insult him with 20 baht.

I would have told them to stick it.......................... (you know the rest !). 

A microcosm of how things work here economically and politically. Person with wallet = Gov. 

Child = Gen. Public

40k returned, here's 0.5% typical finders fee would have been at least 750.

Thanks kid, here's some pocket change. I'm surprised he actually got a note and not a bag full of satang. When he gets older he will face palm for sure. Guaranteed. The phrase, "finders keepers, losers weepers" comes to mind with this one

However, good on the kid for showing some class, even if the owner of the cash didn't. I would have slapped a G down on his hand, happily I should add.

Positive teachable moment here missed. But teachable moment there certainly was. Most Thais who see this as well are going to be like, <deleted>?!?! 

1 hour ago, Happy Time Thai said:

A microcosm of how things work here economically and politically. Person with wallet = Gov. 

Child = Gen. Public

40k returned, here's 0.5% typical finders fee would have been at least 750.

Thanks kid, here's some pocket change. I'm surprised he actually got a note and not a bag full of satang. When he gets older he will face palm for sure. Guaranteed. The phrase, "finders keepers, losers weepers" comes to mind with this one

However, good on the kid for showing some class, even if the owner of the cash didn't. I would have slapped a G down on his hand, happily I should add.

Positive teachable moment here missed. But teachable moment there certainly was. Most Thais who see this as well are going to be like, <deleted>?!?! 

You lose 40k in a public place in a third world country normally you can kiss it goodbye..... 

Even 0.5% reward would seem stingy to me when the likely  alternative is losing 100%

For a culture that supposedly cherishes outward appearances and the saving of face, some Thais can sure act in absolutely cringeworthy and contemptible ways. The lesson for this boy is "Next time, kid, just keep the cash."

Edited by a1falang

58 minutes ago, a1falang said:

For a culture that supposedly cherishes outward appearances and the saving of face, some Thais can sure act in absolutely cringeworthy and contemptible ways. The lesson for this boy is "Next time, kid, just keep the cash."

We do not know it was a Thai but more than likely it was. Real lovely kid. If it was me I would take him around the store and let him pick a nice present for himself And not care what it was or how much. Well done kid. Hope your father and mother are proud of you and not tell you off for not bringing it home.

What can one even say about this creep who gave this kid 20 baht? It certainly reinforces most of what many of us know about wealthy Thais.

And it brings up an interested point, which is slightly off topic, but related. How many super wealthy Thais are major charitable donors? Anyone know?

2 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

What a shame there was no photo of the grateful owner of the B40,000 showing his munificence with the young lad.. 

Agreed. There should have been a photo of this PERSON presenting 20 Baht to this boy I am sure somebody would recognise and name this individual. 

Just now, spidermike007 said:

What can one even say about this creep who gave this kid 20 baht? It certainly reinforces most of what many of us know about wealthy Thais.

And it brings up an interested point, which is slightly off topic, but related. How many super wealthy Thais are major charitable donors? Anyone know?

I've seen tables of thais of suit wearing  thais just leaving coins for the waitress after spending many thousands on food and drink

Some of them even scoop up the coins lol

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Unless it benefits them .....NONE 

The "worst" is still to come, when his classmates start telling him how silly it was to give back the wallet. I wonder whether he can stay proud of his behaviour for a long time or whether he regrets it when other children constantly tell him it would have been smarter to keep the money..

Does not sent out the right message 

the honest kid should have been rewarded a lot better 

any one  reading this or watching seemingly it was on TV news

Might think a bit different about handing in anything they find as 

They could land up getting the same or less 

a thank you does not count 

This story must be true as only in real life does one bump into such stingy and despicable people who hand out such a miserable 20 THB reward.

All would be really curious to know more about who walks around with so much cash in the wallet and can be such a miser.