Wirachai - deputy police chief - gets down and dirty with drink drivers in Bangkok

webfact

Wirachai - deputy police chief - gets down and dirty with drink drivers in Bangkok

6pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The deputy chief of police Wirachai Songmetta was pictured trying to get a suspected drunk driver to blow into the breathalyzer yesterday evening - without much success.

Daily News said that the chief - one of many in a large entourage - had to "wipe the sweat" away as he took thirty minutes trying to get Kornkot Singhaphan, 26, suspected of drinking, to blow into the device.

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Kornkot, was stopped in his Mitsubishi Mirage at a checkpoint at the end of Viphawadee Soi 70 heading into the capital. He kept putting his tongue over the tube opening and nothing would register.

He claimed he was doing it right and an argument nearly broke out as he perpetually repeated his antics of not blowing into the machine saying it was faulty.

In the end the chief gave up and they conducted a search of the vehicle and found a half consumed bottle of spirits.

The suspect was charged with refusing to follow the instructions of police (by being breathalyzed) and not having registration documents with him and taken to Viphawadee police station.

Daily news reported that police would be seeking the following penalties for drink driving offences:

Drink driving: Potentially one year in prison, 20,000 baht fine and six month loss of license.

Drink driving causing an accident: One to 5 years jail, 100,000 fine and one year suspension.

Drink driving resulting in a death: 3-10 years, 60-200,000 fine and permanent removal of license.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-29

Drink driving: Potentially one year in prison, 20,000 baht fine and six month loss of license.

Drink driving causing an accident: One to 5 years jail, 100,000 fine and one year suspension.

Drink driving resulting in a death: 3-10 years, 60-200,000 fine and permanent removal of license.

Huh.. he was just stopped right?   Or maybe...: 

* Drink driving resulting in loss of face of the deputy police chief: having an unfortunate accident in a holding cell.

Not that it would be a big issue for the police where I come from, if the breathalyzer didn't work or the offender was simulating and refusing cooperation. 

Did the Boys in Brown never hear of taking blood from the offender for an alcohol test ?

What a loss of face for the RTP this is . . . .well, guess every other day it is lost on them

Edited by crazygreg44

Daily News said that the chief - one of many in a large entourage - had to "wipe the sweat" away as he took thirty minutes trying to get Kornkot Singhaphan, 26, suspected of drinking, to blow into the device.

Here you go lazy do nothing Thai cops, watch this:

or this:

Edited by NCC1701A

3 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

Not that it would be a big issue for the police where I come from, if the breathalyzer didn't work or the offender was simulating and refusing cooperation. 

Did the Boys in Brown never hear of taking blood from the offender for an alcohol test ?

What a loss of face for the RTP this is . . . .well, guess every other day it is lost on them

BB certainly do know about the blood test

Had a friend that pretended he couldn't blow into the machine due to bad Asma ect

So I thought I would try & threatened with the above

But will the laws be enforced and when?

7 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

In the west if you refuse to be tested you will be presumed guilty and hit with the max for DUI, I assumed it was the same in Thailand but evidently not or the police don't know the law.

10 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

Ill bet they got blood out of him

3 hours ago, smedly said:

In the west if you refuse to be tested you will be presumed guilty and hit with the max for DUI, I assumed it was the same in Thailand but evidently not or the police don't know the law.

Failing to provide a breath sample, Hinder Police, resist, would be just the beginning of what will continue to be a bad night.  Arrest, search, trip to hospital for a blood sample (if you resist you problems have just gotten a whole lot worse!) conveyed to watch house, fingerprinted and photographed, searched and locked up until court appearance or bail.

In the west you would be lucky to 3 minutes much less 30 minutes  for failing to comply.

12 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

They would need his permission to take a sample of blood. 

36 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

really ?

but is doesn't matter because in the UK (and I assume other western countries) refusing a breath test is an arrestable offence, if you then refuse to give a sample after arrest you will be charged and convicted of DUI because the law presumes guilt, you will also receive a more serious sentence and punishment for not cooperating.

in more detail

https://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/personal/drink-driving

Edited by smedly

On 12/29/2017 at 11:44 AM, CheGuava said:

Huh.. he was just stopped right?   Or maybe...: 

* Drink driving resulting in loss of face of the deputy police chief: having an unfortunate accident in a holding cell.

what is all the fuss about? he dont blow in to the Breathalyzer, take him to the nearest hospital  for a blood test.end of story.