Extending Non-Imm B (single entry) visa

Good afternoon,

My Non-Immigrant B visa (single entry) will end on 12 Jan 18.  However, I have some business to finish which will require a few more days. 

Is it possible to extend my stay for another week or more by applying at the Chaengwattana office? 

Is Penang the best place to apply for Non-Immigrant B visa (multiple (entries)?

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

There is no extension available, however, if you apply for an extension and pay 1,900 baht they will deny it and give you 7 days to leave the country.

Thanks, elviajero.  Seven days would be enough to help me.  Paying 1,900 baht is okay, but being denied sounds somewhat negative.  Would immigration officers see it that way?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Only if you have a work permit valid for at least 8 months,

Thanks, ubonjoe.  My work permit has a little over eight months remaining.  Glad that Non-Imm B with multiple entries is available.

Could you or another poster recommend a hotel near the Thai Embassy in Penang?

Also, is it good to have the help of a local Penang agent.

22 minutes ago, Cutty Shark said:

Thanks, ubonjoe.  My work permit has a little over eight months remaining.  Glad that Non-Imm B with multiple entries is available.

There have been recent reports that you also need to be a owner, shareholder, director and etc to get it now.

You could contact Jim who is probably the most well known agent to confirm it is being enforced. Contact info here: http://jimsplacepenang.tripod.com/

34 minutes ago, Cutty Shark said:

Thanks, elviajero.  Seven days would be enough to help me.  Paying 1,900 baht is okay, but being denied sounds somewhat negative.  Would immigration officers see it that way?

Yes, it sounds a bit nuts, but I put it that way because you’ll receive a stamp in your passport saying your application for an extension has been denied.

IO’s shouldn’t have any issue with this as it’s a legit process to keep someone legal that doesn’t qualify for an extension. It’s very common, and I’ve never heard of any problems.

1 hour ago, Cutty Shark said:

Could you or another poster recommend a hotel near the Thai Embassy in Penang?

Also, is it good to have the help of a local Penang agent.

E&O is one of the best for me but in general Georgetown hotels are good and only a 20  minute taxi ride to the Embassy.

Apply at the Embassy in the morning and collect the following afternoon.

Edited by overherebc

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There have been recent reports that you also need to be a owner, shareholder, director and etc to get it now.

You could contact Jim who is probably the most well known agent to confirm it is being enforced. Contact info here: http://jimsplacepenang.tripod.com/

Thanks for telling me about Jim, ubonjoe.  I’d like to contact him about using his visa services.  However, that website doesn’t list his email, and the phone number doesn’t work.  If you know an alternate site to reach him, I’d appreciate if you’d let me know.

I think FB may be the only reliable means of contact - unless he has started checking that email, again.  I never got a response - about a year ago when I tried. 

Others have reported updates to his FB page with helpful info, recently - so that appears to be a good point of contact.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
16 hours ago, Cutty Shark said:

Planning for the flight.  What time are the passports ready to be picked up the following afternoon?

From 2 to 3 pm.

This is accurate. However, good agents can get the passport with visa back to you by about 12:00-12:30 if you can document a need.