Costa Rica plane crash kills 12, including 10 U.S. citizens

webfact

Costa Rica plane crash kills 12, including 10 U.S. citizens

By Enrique Andres Pretel

2017-12-31T233338Z_1_LYNXMPEDBU0KZ_RTROPTP_3_COSTARICA-CRASH.JPG

Wreckage in flames after a plane crashed in the mountainous area of Punta Islita, in the province of Guanacaste, in Costa Rica in this still image taken from social media video December 31, 2017. Ministerio de Seguridad Publica de Costa Rica/via REUTERS

SAN JOSE (Reuters) - A plane crash in Costa Rica on Sunday killed 10 U.S. citizens and two local pilots, the Costa Rican government said.

The cause of the crash was not yet known, the country's security ministry said. It took place in the mountainous area of Punta Islita, which is popular with tourists, in the province of Guanacaste, about 230 km (140 miles) west of the capital of San José.

Enio Cubillo, director of Costa Rica's civil aviation agency, told local media that the deceased included 10 foreign tourists and two Costa Rican pilots for the aircraft, which was operated by local company Nature Air.

Nature Air could not immediately be reached for comment.

Laura Chinchilla, who was president of Costa Rica from 2010 to 2014, said on Twitter that her cousin, one of the crew members, had died in the accident.

"There are no people alive," Security Minister Gustavo Mata said, adding that autopsies would be needed to confirm the total number and identities of victims because their remains were badly burned.

Punta Islita, on Costa Rica's Pacific Coast, is popular among North American and European tourists for its pristine beaches and lush landscape.

(Writing by Daina Beth Solomon; Editing by Bill Rigby, Lisa Von Ahn and David Gregorio)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-01

4 hours ago, kiniyow said:

The Govt seems to be rather Lax in safety of these Tourist flights..Many of these Planes are Old and have not seen Maintenance in a Long time..I lived there 4 Yrs and there were many plane crashes

You are 100% correct. Most people think maintenance is done on a regular basis, most of the things done on third world countries like taking small passenger planes, ziplines, boats loaded to twice the capacity once you leave the island is ok.

I made my wife stay on the top deck in the sun on the way to phi phi island.. i said if this boat rolls over you will never get out, luggage piled to the cabin roof blocking exits. Death trap is all i could see. 2 years later one rolled over then she believed me