Limitations On Condos?

Hi everyone.

I plan to do some investing in rental properties and I wonder if thailand has any limitation on the number of condos / apartments you as a foreigner can own?

E.g. could I purchase 50 condos and rent them out?

No problems mate!

No restrictions at all.

If you have the money, you could also buy the Grand Palace!

Money talks here in LOS...........

Only problem is how you structure your Ltd Co....as you will be in Real Estate (renting for gain) you can only be 28% (not sure of exact %) owner of said company.

Lawyer is best bet....I guarentee it will not be sooo easy, many condos mean big money...bank transfers over 2 million go to amlo

Wow interesting idea. I see you're bullish on the condo market. It's great to see people who are talking up the market when everyone else has a rather more subdued view.

Now who are you going to rent to? Foreigners with 30 day visas?

It's cheaper to rent than buy here. That means it makes no economic sense to buy to rent..

But hey, I'll bet there are a lot of guys in Pattaya and Bangkok happy to sell you their studio apartments on their way to the border! Why, I'll bet you could get a pretty good deal!

"It's cheaper to rent than buy here. That means it makes no economic sense to buy to rent.."

In the last 5 years, I've saved approximately 4 million baht by buying instead of renting the 2 condos I own. Of course, that doesn't include the approx. 4 million baht in appreciation on top of that. That said, I do agree with you that renting is a wonderful alternative to buying for those that prefer it. And for those thinking of buying for the long term, now isn't such a bad time to do just that. The bad news is priced into the market and who wants to buy when things straighten themselves out as they always do around here. Remember, buy low, sell high! Now is not the time to sell!

...nor will it ever be the right time to buy unless you are sure you can live here long enough to enjoy it. Until the visa issues are sorted out, or unless you retiring with lots of cash in the bank, the uncertainty far outweighs any logical reason to buy - anything.