Orange Flag boat trip - easy access and parking help?

cliveshep

Firstly - Happy New Year to all.

Right, that's got that out of the way!

We tried to go for a boat trip yesterday, drove into BKK and eventually wound up at a temple next to Sathom Thaksin Pier (Sathorn BTS station) that offered free parking up until 6.00pm when they had a massive New Year function. We chose Orange Flag boats for regularity, price, and piers covered. However, by the time Sat Nav led us there after we got off the motorway at the wrong one of 2 exits it was too late. 

I can see that driving into the center of BKK would ordinarily be a complete nightmare so then we innocently thought easy, park near a BTS station on the edge of the city near us and get the train. 

The Government have not as yet seen fit to build a railway line near to us unfortunately. I'll be writing to them on the matter!

So, the Chao Praya has loads of piers where the Orange flag boats presumably stop, we are thinking let's NOT repeat the many toll-booth motorway trip into BKK, we could get to Rangsit/Pathom Thani area without too much heartache as we live in Khlong Sam Wa Tawan Ok sort of midway between Lam Luk Ka and Minburi and could even go on our motorbike and leave the MPV at home BUT we have no idea which pier to aim for that keeps us outside Bangkok.

All we want is a boat trip down the Chao Praya through the city and back as it is (for a pensioner like me) cheap. Can anyone recommend a place to start with easy parking and most importantly little walking please? The attached web site has a pier map. 

เรือด่วนพิเศษธงส้มhttp://www.chaophrayaexpressboat.com/en/services/

img-oflag.gif ORANGE FLAG BOAT
Route : Nonthaburi (N30) - 
Wat Rajsingkorn (S3)
Operation : Everyday
06.00 - 19.00 hrs.
Fares : 14 Baht

maybe start right at the Nonthaburi Chao Phraya Express Riverboat Pier?  Or at the landing across from Wat Pa Kret (opposite Ko Kret) ?

As there is a parking opportunity at Pak Kret, I am not sure of adamant parking near the Nonthaburi Ferry landings, the market is close and a few side sois . . .suggest you check the google maps & satellite images of the surroundings area . . .  place seems not overly far from your location in Khlong Sam Wa Tawan Ok 

Yet you will have to watch out for the Express Boat schedules, the last boat to leave midtown Bangkok for Nonthaburi is around 19:oo hrs

Edited by crazygreg44

On 1/1/2018 at 12:05 PM, crazygreg44 said:

maybe start right at the Nonthaburi Chao Phraya Express Riverboat Pier?  Or at the landing across from Wat Pa Kret (opposite Ko Kret) ?

As there is a parking opportunity at Pak Kret, I am not sure of adamant parking near the Nonthaburi Ferry landings, the market is close and a few side sois . . .suggest you check the google maps & satellite images of the surroundings area . . .  place seems not overly far from your location in Khlong Sam Wa Tawan Ok 

Yet you will have to watch out for the Express Boat schedules, the last boat to leave midtown Bangkok for Nonthaburi is around 19:oo hrs

Yes that Wat has a big parkinglot, also nice food on the market.  But the Wat is hard to find if you don't know the area.