California launches legal sale of cannabis for recreational use

webfact

California launches legal sale of cannabis for recreational use

By Steve Gorman

2018-01-01T121653Z_1_LYNXMPEE000RZ_RTROPTP_4_USA-MARIJUANA.JPG

A billboard advertising marijuana in advance of the upcoming legalization of recreational marijuana in San Francisco, California, U.S. December 29, 2017. REUTERS/Jim Christie

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - California will launch the world's largest regulated commercial market for recreational marijuana on Monday, as dozens of newly licensed stores catering to adults who enjoy the drug for its psychoactive effects open for business up and down the state.

It becomes the sixth U.S. state, and by far the most populous, venturing beyond legalized medical marijuana to permit the sale of cannabis products of all types to customers at least 21 years old.

Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Alaska and Nevada were the first to introduce recreational pot sales on a state-regulated, licensed and taxed basis. Massachusetts and Maine are on track to follow suit later this year.

With California and its 39.5 million residents officially joining the pack, more than one-in-five Americans now live in states where recreational marijuana is legal for purchase, even though cannabis remains classified as an illegal narcotic under U.S. law.

The marijuana market in California alone, which boasts the world's sixth-largest economy, is valued by most experts at several billion dollars annually and is expected to generate at least a $1 billion a year in tax revenue.

"Adding California to the regulated [recreational] market for cannabis is a really big deal," said Heather Azzi, a senior attorney for the Marijuana Policy Project, an advocacy group working to liberalize marijuana laws.

Uruguay became the first and only country to legalize recreational marijuana sales nationally, permitted through its pharmacies starting in July 2017, but is far smaller in comparison, with a population of just 3.4 million.

Still, most California jurisdictions are sitting out the highly anticipated New Year's Day inauguration of recreational cannabis sales.

Many, including Los Angeles and San Francisco, will not be ready for days or weeks because of additional red tape required by city and county governments before would-be retailers can obtain their state licenses.

But business will almost certainly be brisk at newly permitted shops ready on Day One. They number about four-dozen outlets across California, according to an authoritative guide to the cannabis market, GreenState, published by the San Francisco Chronicle.

Stores authorized to carry recreational weed were set to go on New Year's Day in San Diego, San Jose, Santa Cruz, Oakland, Berkeley, Eureka and Desert Hot Springs, among other locales. Hundreds more are expected to open throughout the state as the year progresses.

Many previously operated strictly as medical cannabis dispensaries under a patchwork of local regulations, and will now be licensed by the state for recreational merchandise as well.

Among the very first will be the Oakland-based Harborside dispensary, which has long ranked as the largest U.S. medical marijuana outlet. It planned to opens its doors at 6 a.m. local time on Monday.

Customers in the recreational sector - which state regulators prefer to call the "adult use" market - are only permitted to buy an ounce (28 grams) of raw cannabis or its equivalent at a time.

Medical patients can buy unlimited quantities, but must present a doctor's note and have purchased a medical ID card.

The stage for Monday's grand opening was set when voters passed a ballot measure in November 2016, Proposition 64, immediately legalizing personal possession and use of recreational pot by adults 21 and over.

But it has taken California lawmakers and bureaucrats over a year to devise a licensing, regulatory and tax structure for all phases of the commercial distribution chain.

California in 1996 became the first state to legalize marijuana for medical use, and more than 30 states have since done likewise.

(Reporting by Steve Gorman; Editing by Kim Coghill)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-02

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, daoyai said:

Thailand, don't get left behind in this trend.

I've written several published letters to Bkk's major Eng.lang dailies - on this topic.  I also mention hemp, but that confuses the average somchai.  

As for California - I grew pot a rural area (Nevada County) for 25 yrs.  Pot was illegal, and I got busted - and I don't even smoke the stuff. When caught, I had to convince the cops that I was a smoker, so they'd go light on my penalty.  In other words, if they believed I was a smoker, then my plants would appear to be for me personally.  If not, then it would appear the plants were for sale.    I remember, while in the police station, the cops saying, "we searched his trailer and we didn't find any pot-smoking paraphanalia."   and I piped up (pun intended) and said loudly, "wait, did you look under the sofa cushion?  I've got a corn-cob pipe there.  You can test it for residue.  I'm a smoker - all those plants you found, they're for my stash!"

The entire US, indeed, the whole world should be reasonable, and legalize pot.  Instead, most assh0les running law-enforcement ww will continue to toe the DEA's stupid policy of criminalizing recreational drugs (except alcohol) and everyone involved with them.  The DEA spend hundreds of millions of $$'s ww to push their harmful policies. 

Here's what criminalizing drugs does:

>>>  makes criminal dealers rich

>>>  ensures poor quality drugs on the street

>>>  makes deadly drugs more available, like fentanyl.

>>>  gets right-wingers elected

>>>  ensures that alcohol (the most harmful drug) stays the only legal recreational drug.

thereby cementing the revenue train going to people involved in the trillion dollar alcohol biz.

6 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I've written several published letters to Bkk's major Eng.lang dailies - on this topic.  I also mention hemp, but that confuses the average somchai.  

As for California - I grew pot a rural area (Nevada County) for 25 yrs.  Pot was illegal, and I got busted - and I don't even smoke the stuff. When caught, I had to convince the cops that I was a smoker, so they'd go light on my penalty.  In other words, if they believed I was a smoker, then my plants would appear to be for me personally.  If not, then it would appear the plants were for sale.    I remember, while in the police station, the cops saying, "we searched his trailer and we didn't find any pot-smoking paraphanalia."   and I piped up (pun intended) and said loudly, "wait, did you look under the sofa cushion?  I've got a corn-cob pipe there.  You can test it for residue.  I'm a smoker - all those plants you found, they're for my stash!"

The entire US, indeed, the whole world should be reasonable, and legalize pot.  Instead, most assh0les running law-enforcement ww will continue to toe the DEA's stupid policy of criminalizing recreational drugs (except alcohol) and everyone involved with them.  The DEA spend hundreds of millions of $$'s ww to push their harmful policies. 

>>>  ensures that alcohol (the most harmful drug) stays the only legal recreational drug.

thereby cementing the revenue train going to people involved in the trillion dollar alcohol biz.

so you were a dealer?

Hopefully California learns from Colorado and their issues. Because the federal government doesn't recognize the sale of marijuana as legal so no bank will take the money, and we are talking sometimes millions of dollars. So these shops have to get on armed guards to transport their money to some safe holding place. So millions of dollars are floating around and California will have to deal with this issue.

27 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Hopefully California learns from Colorado and their issues. Because the federal government doesn't recognize the sale of marijuana as legal so no bank will take the money, and we are talking sometimes millions of dollars. So these shops have to get on armed guards to transport their money to some safe holding place. So millions of dollars are floating around and California will have to deal with this issue.

I've heard of some big-timers renting bunker-like rooms solely to pack in boxes full of dollars.

Several years ago, when growing first became legal in CA, a friend of mine was invited to go in with 5 others - each putting in $60,000 for a pot growing operation.  She didn't have the cash, so instead became head of personnel, earning an added $150 cash/day.  A 'trimmigrant' (a young foreigner who comes to the US to trim leaves off pot chollas) was paid $150/day at that time.  It may be up to $200/day now.   Anyhow, the $60k investment might now, 5 years later, be worth ten times that amount.  I'm guessing.  

I was offered an opp to drive wholesale pot to other states which still had archaic pot-is-criminal laws.  I was told the minimum investment (at that time) to be a wholesaler was $20k for 5 kilos.  I declined, partly because I reside in Thailand, and didn't want to get involved with the trade - plus, I don't have that sort of money rattling around in my bank account.  Plus, I would have had to develop reliable contacts in places like TX, NM, AZ, UT and I didn't want to play that game.  

I've also heard that California pot is being smuggled into Mexico, because it's far superior to the Mexican stuff.

48 minutes ago, Mansell said:

This used to be be the case most of the shops now take payment on bitcoin or crypto currency or get cash converted. Some shops made more on their bitcoin balances than they did selling pot.

LMAO...

The holier than thou poster was a drug dealer!

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

I am surprised everybody is in favor, in principle I don’t care too much what people do but driving stoned is as worse as drink driving..this is my only concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

To some extent, yes.  There was a house in Sacramento filled with bikers.  Literally.  There were Harleys in the large living room, some being repaired.   They were my best customers.

Sort of being a little bit pregnant?:stoner:

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

To some extent, yes.  There was a house in Sacramento filled with bikers.  Literally.  There were Harleys in the large living room, some being repaired.   They were my best customers.

You admit you were dealing in illegal drugs then.

2 hours ago, Mansell said:

Is that because of federal regulation of banks, and specifically, to get the FDIC protection, you have to tow Fed's line?   Yet California regulates and collects taxes off the sale.  Weird conundrum persists.

Stacks of cash is going to be an alluring target.  Won't be surprised if gang bangers and opportunists start an armed robbery spree, getting into street gun fights with armed, private security. 

Edited by 55Jay

1 hour ago, malibukid said:

the retail cost for one once of cannabis is around $250 which is absurd. most people will be lawfully growing up to 6 plants in their backyard

Wow!  Really?  I wondered if that would happen.  Taxes and greed.  Hopefully availability and competition beings the price back down the Earth. 

Keeping it so high will encourage continued influx of foreign weed, untaxed and sold at normal, reasonable prices under-the-table.  California State Narcos will get their own War on Drugs, kicking down doors to arrest them for tax avoidance.  :wacko:

3 hours ago, malibukid said:

the retail cost for one once of cannabis is around $250 which is absurd. most people will be lawfully growing up to 6 plants in their backyard

What was the going price for a pre-2018 (i.e. illegal) ounce of weed in California?

2 hours ago, luk AJ said:

I am surprised everybody is in favor, in principle I don’t care too much what people do but driving stoned is as worse as drink driving..this is my only concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You are so far off the mark that you must be drunk to post such nonsense!! 

Millions  are driving right now around the world stoned and having no problems and coming home and chilling and off to bed. On the other hand the drunk ones are killing and harming others on the road and the ones who make it home often beat their wife and trash the house and/ or trailer because booze is so cheap. Talk to ( especially ) a big city cop and ask them the difference between a driver drunk or stoned. 

My last point is don't bother searching for some link trying to discredit my post. It just won't fly! Ask the police!!

Edited by alex8912

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

You admit you were dealing in illegal drugs then.

He posts something very truthful and interesting compared to 99% of the posts on here and THAT is all you got out of his several great posts on this thread? Why not go back to the British bashing  post and post at least 3 more about how how great and well behaved and how wonderful the Brits are just like you. If more posters could tell REAL life stories on TVF without the silly side comments the reading would be much better. By the ways if you read the thread someone already made your comment. 

Edited by alex8912

11 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

You are so far off the mark that you must be drunk to post such nonsense!! 

Millions  are driving right now around the world stoned and having no problems and coming home and chilling and off to bed. On the other hand the drunk ones are killing and harming others on the road and the ones who make it home often beat their wife and trash the house and/ or trailer because booze is so cheap. Talk to ( especially ) a big city cop and ask them the difference between a driver drunk or stoned. 

My last point is don't bother searching for some link trying to discredit my post. It just won't fly! Ask the police!!

Sorry to disagree, but this is glossing over plain and simple.

While I agree that driving drunk is definitely worse than driving stoned, there is no way one can make the argument that people should be allowed to drive stoned. Being stoned unquestionably reduces reaction times and distorts perceptions. To say otherwise would suggest you are already stoned.

Of course, as with drunk driving, each person is different. If I have one shot of Jack, I will definitely be dangerous operating a vehicle, while a regular drinker might have 4 shots and likely drive with no trouble at all. A regular smoker may be able to drive with little difficulty, while an occasional smoker, having burned a fatty of purple crush, could be a real danger.

When I was in the US, I smoked regularly and drove stoned many times with never so much as a close call. But I am not naive enough to say that it had no effect on my ability to drive at 100% of my ability.

12 minutes ago, timendres said:

Sorry to disagree, but this is glossing over plain and simple.

While I agree that driving drunk is definitely worse than driving stoned, there is no way one can make the argument that people should be allowed to drive stoned. Being stoned unquestionably reduces reaction times and distorts perceptions. To say otherwise would suggest you are already stoned.

Of course, as with drunk driving, each person is different. If I have one shot of Jack, I will definitely be dangerous operating a vehicle, while a regular drinker might have 4 shots and likely drive with no trouble at all. A regular smoker may be able to drive with little difficulty, while an occasional smoker, having burned a fatty of purple crush, could be a real danger.

When I was in the US, I smoked regularly and drove stoned many times with never so much as a close call. But I am not naive enough to say that it had no effect on my ability to drive at 100% of my ability.

But what I find about people who have little experience with driving when stoned is that they are " sober" enough to actually KNOW it. I find many people who have 3/4/5 drinks not really having this mentality and still drive. My friends who smoke a few times a year or even once a month would never ever drive. I hear this with many others as well.  Your post was quite honest too and thanks for it!  I also think there is a misconception that because pot is legal somewhere that many many more people will try it and that is completely insane logic but I read it quite a bit. If you have interest in smoking weed you would have done it already. PS I'm not stoned. The weed in Thailand sucks. I can smoke a little almost everyday in the States and come here for five or six months and never touch the stuff like many others I know. Which also disproves the people who say marijuana is addictive!  Soccer moms you are stupid! Except the ones who smoke lol. 

Edited by alex8912

3 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

But what I find about people who have little experience with driving when stoned is that they are " sober" enough to actually KNOW it. I find many people who have 3/4/5 drinks not really having this mentality and still drive. My friends who smoke a few times a year or even onc a month would never ever drive. I hear this with many others as well.  Your post was quite honest too and thanks for it! 

Yes, I agree. Drunk and stoned are very different experiences, and I find stoned people to be more "rational" in general. My friend in CA, who grew and smoked incessantly, was quite cavalier about driving stoned. I always disagreed with him on that point. The roads are a dangerous place, so let's drive sober. It is not that much to ask. This is one thing I have really enjoyed about being in Bangkok. It is so easy to use the BTS, get a taxi, or hop on a motocy, that I feel free to enjoy a party and not worry about getting on the road endangering others.