Replacing Iphone 6s battery in Thailand

NiwPix

1 hour ago, DMC1 said:

ICare in Central Pattaya is an authorised Apple repair centre (small new shop on 4th floor). They plugged my phone in and performed the battery diagnostic check on my 6S while I was stood there.

1. They couldn’t replace my battery under the program as it passed the test and was still in good condition.
2. If it had failed the test there is over 4 week wait for a replacement battery.
3. The technician told me to try again later in the year to see if my battery showed any signs of degradation as the offer ends at the end of the year.
4. My phone will be 3 years old in October so I’ll probably sell it and upgrade anyway. 6S still a great phone though and still works silky smooth.

My wife's iPhone 6 will be 3 years old next month and it still works perfectly. I can't see any reason to upgrade it unless there's a problem, which will probably be when they stop supporting it. I'll have to get mine down there for a test soon. Thanks for the info.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My wife's iPhone 6 will be 3 years old next month and it still works perfectly. I can't see any reason to upgrade it unless there's a problem, which will probably be when they stop supporting it. I'll have to get mine down there for a test soon. Thanks for the info.

Yes, the iPhone 6 was released in Sept 2014, the 6S in 2015.

There is a bit of a difference between the 6 and 6S as this is when Apple introduced the 3D Touch and I believe the processor/chipset is quite a bit more powerful to support this.

For your regular users, however, the 6 should be perfectly fine for another year of use. I’m guessing that the 6 will receive the new IOS update around Sept.

2 hours ago, DMC1 said:

There is a bit of a difference between the 6 and 6S as this is when Apple introduced the 3D Touch and I believe the processor/chipset is quite a bit more powerful to support this.

For your regular users, however, the 6 should be perfectly fine for another year of use. I’m guessing that the 6 will receive the new IOS update around Sept.

We bought it on the first day it was released in the US in Sept 2014. We had to return it for a replacement. Lesson: don't get a friend to buy a phone in the US as it cannot be replaced in Thailand. Her iPhone 5, which her sister inherited, swelled up from battery expansion and needed a new screen. After that, she became the proud owner of a Samsung. I'm not extremely impressed with iPhones considering what you pay for them in Thailand and the lousy backup service.

7 hours ago, DMC1 said:

ICare in Central Pattaya is an authorised Apple repair centre (small new shop on 4th floor). They plugged my phone in and performed the battery diagnostic check on my 6S while I was stood there.

1. They couldn’t replace my battery under the program as it passed the test and was still in good condition.
2. If it had failed the test there is over 4 week wait for a replacement battery.
3. The technician told me to try again later in the year to see if my battery showed any signs of degradation as the offer ends at the end of the year.
4. My phone will be 3 years old in October so I’ll probably sell it and upgrade anyway. 6S still a great phone though and still works silky smooth.

Like I said, call Apple Care! They don't care what condition your battery is in. I specifically asked about my two iPhone's battery health indictor in the beta new iOS being at 95% and 91%. No problem. Do you want a new battery now? We have already generated a case number. Do you want to proceed now? I'll take a new battery for less than 1,000 Baht and extend my 6's life a couple of more years at full operational capacity! Up to you if you don't want to take advantage of their offer... It would most likely increase your resale value as well.

5 hours ago, DMC1 said:

There is a new iOS  that was released a few days ago. The current version is 11.3 Works on our iPhone 6s' and iPad mini. 

There is a new iOS  that was released a few days ago. The current version is 11.3 Works on our iPhone 6s' and iPad mini. 

I’m aware about that. I’m talking about the yearly major IOS update which will be IOS 12 in Sept. For example the iPad mini 2 and iPhone 5S may not receive IOS 12.

I would be interested to see if you actually get a new battery from iCare with a case number. I’m not convinced, but wish you luck with it.

46 minutes ago, DMC1 said:

I’m aware about that. I’m talking about the yearly major IOS update which will be IOS 12 in Sept. For example the iPad mini 2 and iPhone 5S may not receive IOS 12.

I would be interested to see if you actually get a new battery from iCare with a case number. I’m not convinced, but wish you luck with it.

My old iPad mini (first model) is stuck back in 2016 on IOS 9.2.

51 minutes ago, DMC1 said:

Fine, don't believe me. I called Apple Care, call them yourself! I love people sometimes.... I deleted the case number and link to my case.

apple-1x-large.png
Thanks for contacting us.
Thanks for contacting Apple Support. If you need more help later, you can open the case below or start a new support request online.
Case ID: 

Sincerely,
Apple Support

7 minutes ago, tropo said:

My old iPad mini (first model) is stuck back in 2016 on IOS 9.2.

My iPad 1, I got for free is also stuck with some old iOS as is my iPod Touch. Both still work though. I watch movies or You Tube on the old iPad on occasion and the iPod still plays music, they can even access FaceBook and Thaivisa as well. Rather slowly though!

1 hour ago, Jimi007 said:

My iPad 1, I got for free is also stuck with some old iOS as is my iPod Touch. Both still work though. I watch movies or You Tube on the old iPad on occasion and the iPod still plays music, they can even access FaceBook and Thaivisa as well. Rather slowly though!

Ours works just fine too - battery still strong. I'm not in a habit of replacing any electronic gear just to follow the latest trends. When it doesn't work anymore I will replace it. The only complaint I have is that it's a bit slow. Whatever you buy new now will be old in a year anyway, so there's no need to get on that bandwagon. This was a good year to skip upgrades too as Apple seems to be wavering a bit, not knowing in which direction to go... and a sales downturn as people are keeping their devices longer than Apple anticipated. The fact that there are now so many cheap smartphone options on the market that do a great job, so how much are people willing to spend to show off that iconic Apple logo.

Fine, don't believe me. I called Apple Care, call them yourself! I love people sometimes.... I deleted the case number and link to my case.

apple-1x-large.png&key=af09b5a0c6d935eeedbca30c3732ba195a5a9b37b9f121b75074117b82866035
Thanks for contacting us.
Thanks for contacting Apple Support. If you need more help later, you can open the case below or start a new support request online.
Case ID: 

Sincerely,
Apple Support

I didn’t say that I didn’t believe you. I’m not convinced that icare will replace a non-defective battery for the cheap price, but will be good if they do. I have already tried and they wouldn’t do it.

I have used a case number before at icare in Chonburi back in 2012 for my MB Pro battery. They did replace the battery for free as it was found to be defective but they still ran the full diagnostic, even though I had received a case number from the Singapore Apple call centre.

1 hour ago, DMC1 said:

I didn’t say that I didn’t believe you. I’m not convinced that icare will replace a non-defective battery for the cheap price, but will be good if they do. I have already tried and they wouldn’t do it.

I have used a case number before at icare in Chonburi back in 2012 for my MB Pro battery. They did replace the battery for free as it was found to be defective but they still ran the full diagnostic, even though I had received a case number from the Singapore Apple call centre.

There was a class action lawsuit filed against Apple. That is why they are making this offer on certain phones. Yes, I got a free Apple laptop battery and free hard drives under Apple care as well.   https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

There was a class action lawsuit filed against Apple. That is why they are making this offer on certain phones. Yes, I got a free Apple laptop battery and free hard drives under Apple care as well.   https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

I am aware of the lawsuit that’s why I tried to get a cheap battery!

They wouldn’t change mine, as my battery was not within the defective/failure zone. I am not posting anymore on this subject, as you clearly aren’t listening.

I am aware of the lawsuit that’s why I tried to get a cheap battery!

They wouldn’t change mine, as my battery was not within the defective/failure zone. I am not posting anymore on this subject, as you clearly aren’t listening.

Nor are you! Use the link I provided! Do not go to a shop!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well after I read your post I called Apple Care. They said they will replace my battery for any reason even if it's at 91%, for $29 USD or Baht equivalent at an Authorized Apple Repair Center in Thailand. Do not go to an Apple retailer. Would I like to go ahead with the replacement we can start the paperwork? I said maybe I will wait a few months as I have until the end of the year.

Read your own post above (#29)

You clearly said that you called Apple Care and they told you that the replacement would be done at an Authorised Repair Centre (iCare@Chonburi or Pattaya Central 4th floor etc).

If you don’t go to a shop then how are you going to get a battery, unless you post/mail your phone somewhere?

I’m telling you now, you ain’t going to get a cheap battery in Thailand without them carrying out the battery diagnostic check as there is at least a 4 week waiting list for batteries - hence they are only giving them to people that have defective batteries....

Laters...

1 hour ago, DMC1 said:

Read your own post above (#29)

You clearly said that you called Apple Care and they told you that the replacement would be done at an Authorised Repair Centre (iCare@Chonburi or Pattaya Central 4th floor etc).

If you don’t go to a shop then how are you going to get a battery, unless you post/mail your phone somewhere?

I’m telling you now, you ain’t going to get a cheap battery in Thailand without them carrying out the battery diagnostic check as there is at least a 4 week waiting list for batteries - hence they are only giving them to people that have defective batteries....

Laters...

Did you try the link and actually talk to an Apple company representative or just talk to some shop in Thailand? I entered my iPhone serial number as you must do and hit submit. Within a few minutes I got an email and a phone call with someone with a British accent. He said:  No problem, we don't need to check you iPhone, would you like to proceed? As we say here... Up to you. I will be back in the US before the offer expires. The offer according to the Asian Apple representative I spoke to on the phone here in Phuket, is valid and available. Best wishes!

A replacement battery is about USD12 (incl shipping) on Aliexpress and it is a 10 minute job to change it.

There is nothing special about original iphone batteries either. The cheap replacement may well have better performance.

2 hours ago, thedemon said:

A replacement battery is about USD12 (incl shipping) on Aliexpress and it is a 10 minute job to change it.

There is nothing special about original iphone batteries either. The cheap replacement may well have better performance.

Right! I'll pay $17 more and have Apple do it! Although I did replace my old iPod battery 4 times! Now the mini hard drive is whirling! I have't found a replacement yet for those... Oh, maybe I did! I'll have to take it apart again to be sure though. https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/ipod-classic-80gb-hard-drive.html?src=google&albch=search&acnt=479-062-3723&isdl=y&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&albcp=266121556&albag=7593673036&slnk=&trgt=aud-165594907443:dsa-42862830006&plac=&crea=64152518476&netw=g&device=c&mtctp=b&memo1=1t1&aff_platform=google&gclid=CjwKCAjw-6bWBRBiEiwA_K1ZDdLtXG1Ry1jlEceGq56GJZETOO3OZWUNQxBFvWv6UjSgfyXYTk0CmRoCumQQAvD_BwE

https://www.google.co.th/search?client=safari&channel=mac_bm&dcr=0&source=hp&ei=BHTKWtzZEYvEvQSg_YfACg&q=replacing+an+iphone+6s+battery&oq=replacing+an+ipne+6s&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i13k1l4j0i22i30k1l6.1631.19590.0.23574.21.20.0.0.0.0.113.1888.14j6.20.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.20.1887.0..0j46j35i39k1j0i131k1j0i46k1j33i160k1j0i13i30k1.0.oQhbW-VAfG8#kpvalbx=1

There seems to be confusion on the replacement topic. Here some info:

- Eligible for battery replacement:

iPhone 6

iPhone 6 Plus

iPhone SE

iPhone 6s

iPhone 6s Plus

iPhone 7

iPhone 7 Plus

iPhone 8

iPhone 8 Plus

iPhone X

- Has to be at the apple store or authorized retailer

- Offer valid for calendar year 2018

- One time replacement only ( ie: can not change now and again at the end of the year )

- Offer good even if the battery is still in good condition ( has to be an original apple battery )

- If an authorized retailer refuses to replace your battery because it is still good: Report them to apple.

I signed up for battery replacement in mid january. My battery didnt slow down my phone ( 6s ), but I noticed the battery wouldnt hold a charge that well anymore. Meantime I upgraded to iOS 11.3 and the battery feature says my battery was still ok, but at 80% capacity.

On April1st I had my battery replaced. Took 30 minutes. The only diagnostics check that was done on my phone was AFTER my battery was replaced, to show it is a brand new battery ( 0 cycles ) and functioning properly

9 hours ago, NiwPix said:

There seems to be confusion on the replacement topic. Here some info:

- Eligible for battery replacement:

iPhone 6

iPhone 6 Plus

iPhone SE

iPhone 6s

iPhone 6s Plus

iPhone 7

iPhone 7 Plus

iPhone 8

iPhone 8 Plus

iPhone X

- Has to be at the apple store or authorized retailer

- Offer valid for calendar year 2018

- One time replacement only ( ie: can not change now and again at the end of the year )

- Offer good even if the battery is still in good condition ( has to be an original apple battery )

- If an authorized retailer refuses to replace your battery because it is still good: Report them to apple.

I signed up for battery replacement in mid january. My battery didnt slow down my phone ( 6s ), but I noticed the battery wouldnt hold a charge that well anymore. Meantime I upgraded to iOS 11.3 and the battery feature says my battery was still ok, but at 80% capacity.

On April1st I had my battery replaced. Took 30 minutes. The only diagnostics check that was done on my phone was AFTER my battery was replaced, to show it is a brand new battery ( 0 cycles ) and functioning properly

Thank you! You have confirmed what I have been saying on this thread, yet some are too stubborn to go through the proper way to submit their claim... 

Thank you! You have confirmed what I have been saying on this thread, yet some are too stubborn to go through the proper way to submit their claim... 

No need to be rude!

Some of the info supplied by the other poster is incorrect as there are no official Apple stores in Thailand, only resellers. The only authorised Apple places are the iCare Authorised repair centres. Some are located at/near the resellers.

I was posting my experience of going directly into iCare, not by going online. There is no proper way, only a different option. I can only report what the Apple tech did in my case. As there is nothing wrong with my phone and the waiting list is long, they won’t change my battery at this time under the program. I’m not going to report him to Apple as I will probably be upgrading my phone in Sept/Oct anyway.

The poster above above went by the online route (he didn’t say whether he did the battery replacement in Thailand or not?). He registered in January and got the battery in April. That’s 3 months, so you’d better not wait until the end of the year.

On 4/9/2018 at 12:14 AM, thedemon said:

It's tempting to use non-Apple batteries, especially in my MacAir laptop. They want 6900 here for a replacement battery. The problem is that these devices are very expensive, so is it worth taking the risk of damaging a device to save some money on battery replacement?

38 minutes ago, DMC1 said:

No need to be rude!

Some of the info supplied by the other poster is incorrect as there are no official Apple stores in Thailand, only resellers. The only authorised Apple places are the iCare Authorised repair centres. Some are located at/near the resellers.

I was posting my experience of going directly into iCare, not by going online. There is no proper way, only a different option. I can only report what the Apple tech did in my case. As there is nothing wrong with my phone and the waiting list is long, they won’t change my battery at this time under the program. I’m not going to report him to Apple as I will probably be upgrading my phone in Sept/Oct anyway.

The poster above above went by the online route (he didn’t say whether he did the battery replacement in Thailand or not?). He registered in January and got the battery in April. That’s 3 months, so you’d better not wait until the end of the year.

Reporting the iCare representative to Apple wouldn't get you anywhere anyway. He won't change his policy. Is there any way to weaken the battery prematurely?

Reporting the iCare representative to Apple wouldn't get you anywhere anyway. He won't change his policy. Is there any way to weaken the battery prematurely?

Not sure, the tech just said try again in December to see if it’s degraded enough. The phone has been great for over 2.5 years, no issues, slowing down, crashes or anything. I was walking near iCare, so just thought I’d give it a go.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it too: I had it done in thailand ( Ubon Ratchathani ) at the istudio in central plaza.

All the info i posted is correct. I did mention the Apple store ( yes, I know there is no apple store in thailand ) because you can get it replaced at an Apple store.

If your battery has been good for 2.5 years ( similar like mine ) that’s great. Mine was still ok too ( no slow down YET ). Mine was at 80% capacity, but still acceptable.

Be sure that being 2.5 years old, your battery WILL degrade sooner or later.

My wifes 7+ is only about a year old. Her battery is perfectly fine, but in December I will have that battery replaced too ( eventhough in December it will still be fine too ), but the clock will start ticking at 2 years old. Replacing it in December will easily get another 2 years out of it.

Edit: sorry, not sure anymore if it was iserve or istudio.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, tropo said:

It's tempting to use non-Apple batteries, especially in my MacAir laptop. They want 6900 here for a replacement battery. The problem is that these devices are very expensive, so is it worth taking the risk of damaging a device to save some money on battery replacement?

I meant saving hassle more than saving money.

Though I understand some would be reluctant to put a battery of unknown provenance into their expensive device, personally I wouldn't be. If buying online you can read the feedback to get a pretty good idea of how the battery is going to perform.

• 2 months later...

OK, so I went to icare service centre again (4th floor Central, Pattaya Beach). This time I’ve had noticeable battery loss, even whilst on standby over the past 4 weeks.

The same tech performed the function test, and although he said the battery performed acceptably, he would agree to give me a replacement battery in 2 weeks time. I paid the ฿1000 fee upfront, was given the receipt, and they will call me in 2 weeks to take it in for replacement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 8:03 AM, DMC1 said:

OK, so I went to icare service centre again (4th floor Central, Pattaya Beach). This time I’ve had noticeable battery loss, even whilst on standby over the past 4 weeks.

The same tech performed the function test, and although he said the battery performed acceptably, he would agree to give me a replacement battery in 2 weeks time. I paid the ฿1000 fee upfront, was given the receipt, and they will call me in 2 weeks to take it in for replacement.

I visited the iCare service centre on Monday. They tested my 3-year-old iPhone 6 battery. It showed 83% performance capacity. It was about 5:45pm and they replaced it on the spot. I came back to pick up my phone in an hour.

I visited the iCare service centre on Monday. They tested my 3-year-old iPhone 6 battery. It showed 83% performance capacity. It was about 5:45pm and they replaced it on the spot. I came back to pick up my phone in an hour.

Yep, mine’s replaced already last Friday. The day I went in they had just ordered a load of batteries. He said could be a 2 week wait, but they arrived within one week.

Archived