Thailand should recognise tourists’ driver’s licences, says poll

webfact

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:12 AM, robblok said:

I thought you could officially drive half a year or 90 days on your own driving-license but after that you needed to get a Thai one (the law is similar in other countries). But now it seems that is not true in Phuket, It is crazy to ask tourists to get a Thai drivers license. For expats longer here then 90 days its perfectly normal and good according to international law. Its just that many expats are lazy to do so. I got both a Thai m/c license and car license and of course one from my home country. 

Actually both Thailand , The U.S. and many other countries are signees to a 65 year old treaty that each country will recognize member countries drivers licenses. I have carried a copy of this document while driving in many countries showing it when I get pulled and never had a problem. Never bring up the part about the U.S. allowing you to drive but at the same time not allowing many to enter the country, lol.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most UK drivers are in a league well above their Thai counterparts, most Thais when testing in the UK fail 3 or more times, so Thailand should be very pleased to see a British Drivers license as same side of the road and must have passed a test to get the license especially the new ones where fraud is almost impossible.

10 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Actually both Thailand , The U.S. and many other countries are signees to a 65 year old treaty that each country will recognize member countries drivers licenses. I have carried a copy of this document while driving in many countries showing it when I get pulled and never had a problem. Never bring up the part about the U.S. allowing you to drive but at the same time not allowing many to enter the country, lol.

That is only for a limited amount of time just like everyone here states and knows. 

This whole discussion is quite senseless anyway

What kind of vehicle are probably at least 95% of the foreigners using here? Motorbike

How many percent of people in europe (in warmer regions probably more, in colder regions less) have a motorbike license? Maybe 5%

So even if the the license from the home country would be accepted here, most people would still drive without a license, because they have just a car license but are driving a motorbike.

Edited by jackdd