When To Do Vehicle Inspection for Annual Taxation

osmar

I have the same question. Unfortunately Johng's post doesn't seem to directly address it. How long before the annual taxation date can you get the VIC (MOT check in UK-speak)?  BTW, I don't remember having to get the check before renewing my insurance either, as Johng suggests is necessary. Going to the insurance agent this afternoon so will try to check and report back. 

BTW, interesting that this forum has loads of threads on driving licences but very little on vehicle tax/registration. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places? 

Motorcycle 5 years and cars/trucks 7 years old before a "certificate of road worthines" ( MOT) is required
before you can renew tax and insurance.
You can get tax and insurance 90 days before expiry...I haven't tried having an older than 90 days MOT but suspect it would be rejected ? But T.I.T most anything is possible !

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

I usually just get it done at the tax office on the day I'm taxing the car or motorbike. Just takes a few minutes.

I used to do that until once the local DLT test centre online access failed, so they closed for the rest of the day (after waiting already for an hour), and generally a long queue. Now I get the actual check done at one of the local places (with the blue cog sign) which is only 5 minutes away and avoid most delays - apart from then queuing to pay at the DLT which is unavoidable if you are doing yourself......... 

37 minutes ago, topt said:

I used to do that until once the local DLT test centre online access failed, so they closed for the rest of the day (after waiting already for an hour), and generally a long queue. Now I get the actual check done at one of the local places (with the blue cog sign) which is only 5 minutes away and avoid most delays - apart from then queuing to pay at the DLT which is unavoidable if you are doing yourself......... 

Just pay the inspection garage a small fee and they renew the tax for you. too easy

Just to confirm, the vehicle inspection isn't needed before the insurance renewal. Did both the compulsory and the more-comprehensive renewal yesterday without any inspection. 

I have a local place I always use to do the inspection, but still wondering if I can do it a few days or a week or two before the tax/registration renewal date. Will report if I find more information.

Just now, CMMCB said:

Just to confirm, the vehicle inspection isn't needed before the insurance renewal. Did both the compulsory and the more-comprehensive renewal yesterday without any inspection. 

I have a local place I always use to do the inspection, but still wondering if I can do it a few days or a week or two before the tax/registration renewal date. Will report if I find more information.

Is your car 7 years old?

In Pattaya you need the inspection before they issue insurance.

22 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Is your car 7 years old?

In Pattaya you need the inspection before they issue insurance.

Yes, needed the inspection the last couple of years, but not before the insurance. Strange inconsistencies, eh?