Transferring visa from old passport to new and best time to go - Chiang Mai Immigration

Sawasdee khrap!

I was under the guidance that having my current ED visa in my old passport would be fine and nothing more required. However, now my school are telling me I need it transferred to my new passport. Furthermore, I was told that I need a letter from my consulate about the reason for changing my passport. I don't have this as I renewed it back in the UK and was told by my school at the time that it would be fine. I'm not sure what is the case but I will go to immigration today. Does anyone else have any more solid info on this and also when is the best time of day to go to minimise queuing time?

Khob khun khrap

First, visas are never transferred between old and new passports. If you entered Thailand using a visa, your school is incorrect about the need to transfer anything until you need an extension of your permission to stay. If you intend to apply for an extension, you should talk to your embassy about getting a letter confirming that your new passport replaces the old one, and asking immigration to transfer your entry stamps and any extension(s) (but not the original visa).

• Thanks 2

Yes, that's what they must have meant. I do need to apply for the 90 days extension very soon. I will go to immigration today to see if they will let me make the transfer without the letter but if not I will be in touch with my embassy immediately after.

3 minutes ago, Chesterpot said:

Yes, that's what they must have meant. I do need to apply for the 90 days extension very soon. I will go to immigration today to see if they will let me make the transfer without the letter but if not I will be in touch with my embassy immediately after.

If immigration insist on having the letter the embassy will send you one. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/491945/Visa_Transfer_Information.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chesterpot said:

Reporting back - everything went fine without having the letter from the consulate. Arrived about 9:00 and was finished at about 9:30. Polite and professional from them, was pleased how smoothly and quickly it all went.

Good to hear, glad you reported back, good luck............. 

• Like 1