The options for travelling from Pattaya to Koh Chang.

The manic

also if you visit one of the many Tour Offices in Pattaya, they will offer minibus transfers from Pattaya to Koh Chang from THB 700 upward per Person.  

Try to get a minubus which transfers to the island with the ferry and takes you to the doorstep of your hotel on Koh Chang . . there ARE such minibuses and it is the most fair and convenient way

Myself. and she who must be obeyed, wete on Koh Chang about 7 years ago with my Jeep. Lost the keys, including the rented bungalow keys) that were hanging on my belt loop (never put them there again) while walking along the beach.

Couldn't get a bus on the main road back to Bang Saray.

Rented a motorbike for one day, drove back to Bang Saray, quick turn a round, and back to Koh Chang.

Last year Group 35 on 3rd Road was offering a return fare to Koh Chang for 1,100 baht. This included pick-up from your hotel/apartment in Pattaya, ferry, and drop-off at your accommodation on Koh Chang, ditto for return journey. Worth googling them if they still offer the same service.

take the big bus to trat (pronounced as in tart and not as in rat or you may get taken to khorat (happened to me once)) several of which leave bangkok ekamai early every morning and which then stops on sukhumvit road pattaya at the intersection with pattaya klang or central pattaya road  (the road where is foodland).

cross over sukhumvit road.

there is a motor cycle taxi rank and a cafe which displays all the bus times.

the driver will always ask you if you want to go to koh chang as most foreigners do. 

it is along 6 hour bus journey.

the driver will put you off before the bus reaches trat at a garage where there are many mini buses to the ferry at laem ngop,

15 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

also if you visit one of the many Tour Offices in Pattaya, they will offer minibus transfers from Pattaya to Koh Chang from THB 700 upward per Person.  

Try to get a minubus which transfers to the island with the ferry and takes you to the doorstep of your hotel on Koh Chang . . there ARE such minibuses and it is the most fair and convenient way

Thanks for the tip. I was rather hoping for a big bus but I will follow up on your suggestion

Afaik, big buses leave from the North/Central/South Pattaya intersections on Sukhumvit (coming through from Chonburi) only. Every 30 minutes or so. You might have a hard time getting one all the way to Trat, most will only go to Chantaburi.

Private transport (around 4k) or minivan would be a much better option and saves you a lot of time and frustration.

17 minutes ago, wump said:

Afaik, big buses leave from the North/Central/South Pattaya intersections on Sukhumvit (coming through from Chonburi) only. Every 30 minutes or so. You might have a hard time getting one all the way to Trat, most will only go to Chantaburi.

Private transport (around 4k) or minivan would be a much better option and saves you a lot of time and frustration.

Thanks for the info

4 hours ago, hobobo said:

Last year Group 35 on 3rd Road was offering a return fare to Koh Chang for 1,100 baht. This included pick-up from your hotel/apartment in Pattaya, ferry, and drop-off at your accommodation on Koh Chang, ditto for return journey. Worth googling them if they still offer the same service.

Roger Wilco

20 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

and hope that you do not die on the way !

Really, people supposed to have a brain because they are foreigners still use vans ?!

12 hours ago, wump said:

getting to chantaburi is ok it may be faster than going to trat 'cos the bus may take a more direct route.

don't confuse chantaburi with chonburi.

if you get to chantaburi there are many minibuses for trat leaving from the bus station. the fare is 60 THB   .

once again the driver will ask you if you are going to koh chang since most foreigners do.

he will put you off at the pickup place for minibuses to laem ngop.

13 hours ago, dpdp said:

and hope that you do not die on the way !

Really, people supposed to have a brain because they are foreigners still use vans ?!

you are right

but he didn't ask for a sure way to die, just a way of transportation :smile:

• 2 months later...
On ‎9‎-‎1‎-‎2018 at 11:27 AM, jobsworth said:

take the big bus to trat (pronounced as in tart and not as in rat or you may get taken to khorat (happened to me once)) several of which leave bangkok ekamai early every morning and which then stops on sukhumvit road pattaya at the intersection with pattaya klang or central pattaya road  (the road where is foodland).

cross over sukhumvit road.

there is a motor cycle taxi rank and a cafe which displays all the bus times.

the driver will always ask you if you want to go to koh chang as most foreigners do. 

it is along 6 hour bus journey.

the driver will put you off before the bus reaches trat at a garage where there are many mini buses to the ferry at laem ngop,

i advise you to read my remarks. Trat to ferrypier (centerpoint ferry) are very limited. You have to wait until enough people boarded the songtaew. Tha songtaew drops you at another transferpoint not far from laem ngop where you again have to wait !

Archived