Alcohol sales ban

janclaes47

This is the booze department at Big C Extra Pattaya between 2 and 5pm today.

5a54a8d4b5275_20180109_164714(Large).jpg.d87d5cc9791043ceb19007ccab02141c.jpg5a54a8d6d89a2_20180109_164837(Large).jpg.4c7272c1bb1a3aeeec21574d6bac9764.jpg

Yes there is a security present, but I took the picture when not in sight, as I feared of being arrested and thrown in jail for taking a picture of alcohol bottles, and never see daylight again.

I heard a rumour that they consider armed guards soon, who will have permission to shoot and kill, every adult that dares to look at a bottle of booze within the specified time period.

Just now, Kwasaki said:

I'm surprised at this post most people are aware of sell booze times in big stores 7-11 the same, so what just buy from ma & pop shops.

The point of my post is not the sales ban, as I'm well aware of that after more than two decades in Thailand, but how they present it.

During the hours it is still allowed to look at the bottles isn't it?

There are placards everywhere within the booze section, in English and Thai, that announce the the hours that it is prohibited to buy alcohol.

Also at the check out they will remove any alcohol.

It is just the way it is presented that strikes me.

Take not during the selling hours there sits a security at the entrance of the booze department, and he even follows you as if you are a criminal, when you walk around.

Many times I have wanted to approach the Big C management with the question if they consider everyone who looks at alcohol a criminal.

There is one place that is even worse, and that is a supermarket on South Pattaya road, where is is locked off with a chain.

Come on, get a life Thai government.

I understand why they cordon the alcohol off. 

Not long ago I saw some Thais in Tesco Lotus fill up their trolley with beers and wine. When they arrived at the cashier they were told that the sale of alcohol was permitted at that time of day. They protested and asked why and after a long discussion they walked away, leaving the staff to return all the bottles to the shelves.

Actually, I am surprised that many Thais do not know their is a restriction on alcohol sales.

Don''t understand what is the point of this thread ? Alcohol sale is banned between 2-5 pm, so many of the department stores put a small barricade to remind customers. 7-11 shops pull down a blind over the beer cooler. What is the big deal ? 

37 minutes ago, petedk said:

I understand why they cordon the alcohol off. 

Not long ago I saw some Thais in Tesco Lotus fill up their trolley with beers and wine. When they arrived at the cashier they were told that the sale of alcohol was permitted at that time of day. They protested and asked why and after a long discussion they walked away, leaving the staff to return all the bottles to the shelves.

Actually, I am surprised that many Thais do not know their is a restriction on alcohol sales.

There was a law until quite recently that bulk alcohol could be bought at anytime .

There were no time restrictions on buying alcohol in bulk 

10 minutes ago, saakura said:

Don''t understand what is the point of this thread ? Alcohol sale is banned between 2-5 pm, so many of the department stores put a small barricade to remind customers. 7-11 shops pull down a blind over the beer cooler. What is the big deal ? 

Yes, the O.P. probably went to buy a beer , couldnt get one , so decided to go home and make a thread about it

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

There was a law until quite recently that bulk alcohol could be bought at anytime .

There were no time restrictions on buying alcohol in bulk 

Actually, it isn't "quite recently". I think the new law came in force about a year ago. I always used to buy two cartons (60 cans) of beer in order to come over the 10 litres, but they stopped me doing that a long time ago.

Just to add a point. I don't like comparing Thailand with other countries because this is Thailand and they are entitled to their own laws, but I seem to remember that when I lived in Europe many years ago the supermarkets were suddenly allowed to stay open until midnight, but alcohol sales stopped some time before midnight. I can vaguely remember that the alcohol sales area in the big supermarkets was cordoned off in the same way. 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Yes, the O.P. probably went to buy a beer , couldnt get one , so decided to go home and make a thread about it

The OP didn't went to buy a beer, as he said already in an earlier post that after 2 decades in Thailand he's well aware of the sales restrictions.

Though as far as I know it's a SALES restriction, not a " look at " ban.

They have a dedicated security guard sitting at that location every minute of the day the supermarket is open, and plenty of placards in English and Thai placed on the shelves every few meters, with a large life size one that you can see in the picture at the entrance.

So anyone entering that area will be aware of the sale restrictions, and if not the security will be able to point out before leaving the area.

So a cordon off is really over the top and not warranted for.

My real pet peeve however, which added to my decision to start this thread, is that during allowed sales hours that security guard will follow you around when you enter the area, as if you are a criminal who's  gonna steal or drink from the bottles.

When you leave the area he will also come look in your trolley what you take with you, however the checkout is at the whole other end of the shop, and it isn't his business what you buy isn't it.

18 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

My real pet peeve however, which added to my decision to start this thread, is that during allowed sales hours that security guard will follow you around when you enter the area, as if you are a criminal who's  gonna steal or drink from the bottles.

I believe this is Big C On Pattaya Klang? The tape is very recent but I have never been followed by "a security guard" in all the times I have looked around the booze area.

Maybe you look shifty..........:sorry: 

1 hour ago, petedk said:

Actually, it isn't "quite recently". I think the new law came in force about a year ago. I always used to buy two cartons (60 cans) of beer in order to come over the 10 litres, but they stopped me doing that a long time ago.

And @sanemaxcloser to 2/3 years but definitely more than 1.

Edit - found this http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/restriction-liquor-sale-time-takes-effect-today/

So 3 years and there were threads on TV at the time

5 minutes ago, topt said:

And @sanemaxcloser to 2/3 years but definitely more than 1.

Edit - found this http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/restriction-liquor-sale-time-takes-effect-today/

So 3 years and there were threads on TV at the time

So, which word do you suggest that I should have used, instead of "recently" ?

Considering that exactly how long ago the law changed is irrelevant to the fact that it did change 

Just now, sanemax said:

So, which word do you suggest that I should have used, instead of "recently" ?

Considering that exactly how long ago the law changed is irrelevant to the fact that it did change 

I have no issue with any words you used - just providing some factual background :smile:

Why we are on this subject why is it that so many 7/11s and family Mart just Ingore the law why others Inforce it. I've always wondered if In some the staff really don't care because they are only getting paid about 30THB a hour.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk