Help With Setting Up dd-wrt Router on 3BB

Dazinoz

I am on 3BB optic fibre on the 200mb download plan. I received a discounted offer from a VPN provider last month. I had a look at the website and at their non-comparable ISPs and 3BB was not on the list. So I subscribed for a year.

Could not get it to work so emailed tech support. Very fast to get back to me and said I should try their SmartVPN option. Tried that and still no good. Emailed support again then came back with the answer that 3BB is apparently DNS hijacking and suggested I use a dd-wrt router and redirect DNS from port 53 (I think) to port 54.

All very interesting if you are a network engineer. I know very little about networking so can anyone recommend someone who can help me or someone who could come set it up for me (paid of course). I live near Big C Hang Dong in Chaing Mai. I would also like a recommendation on a router.  Previously I had tried a TP-Link TL-MR3020 who my neighbour set up and it worked ok. But then he went back to Australia and left me no contact info so this thing is useless.

Have you tried other VPN solutions and have any of them worked?

Did they have you download a diagnostic tool that indicated DNS Hijacking, or did they just "say" this is what was happening?  Otherwise I'd be very leery of any support conclusion that seems to involve random guessing.  

Do you need/intend to run a VPN 24/7 for all connected devices, or just 'some' of your devices and when needed?

Unless you want to educate yourself on how Routers and VPN, or find a person or business that will support your usage, you are likely to wind up in the same position you are now.

18 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Have you tried other VPN solutions and have any of them worked?

Did they have you download a diagnostic tool that indicated DNS Hijacking, or did they just "say" this is what was happening?  Otherwise I'd be very leery of any support conclusion that seems to involve random guessing.  

Do you need/intend to run a VPN 24/7 for all connected devices, or just 'some' of your devices and when needed?

Unless you want to educate yourself on how Routers and VPN, or find a person or business that will support your usage, you are likely to wind up in the same position you are now.

I have not tried any other solutions. Like I said I know very LITTLE about networking so if one doesn't work I am not going to try another one and I ask for help, hence the post.

I don't know if they ran any diagnostic tools or not. Just went by their email and when you don't know anything its very hard to ask if they have done this or that.

I want to be able to access Australian online TV stations and anonymous browsing so I guess I want on my computer and Apple TV.

And I can't be bothered educating myself on these things and again thats why I asked for recommendations for help.

Suggest you make another post titled How to watch Australian TV from Thailand

List your devices and the channels you want to watch along with a request for help.

I guess you have already tried the smart DNS route and the wheels fell off. You really need to ask around when trying to trick streaming servers because some services work better than others.

30 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Suggest you make another post titled How to watch Australian TV from Thailand

List your devices and the channels you want to watch along with a request for help.

I guess you have already tried the smart DNS route and the wheels fell off. You really need to ask around when trying to trick streaming servers because some services work better than others.

Ok thanks for that. Hard to know what you are asking for when you don't know. Just basically said what was in the support email from the VPN provider.

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

If you don’t use smartdns but use openvpn, dns hijacking would not affect you. Why don’t you try vpn on your pc first and try watching stuff to see if it works first?

I tried to set up VPN on my computer, did not work.

• 1 month later...
On 15/2/2018 at 4:40 PM, S44 said:

Good afternoon

did you resolve your issue with 3BB? I think I now have same issue after 3BB upgraded my router

thanks in advance

Hi, no not yet. Have not tried too hard yet. Have to go Oz for 3 weeks from this week so will try again when I get back.

12 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

In another thread, I was asking for a turnkey solution to have VPN for all my connected devices. Installing VPN on another router is not trivial to make it work well with your current ISP. 

As far as I can tell, basically the vpn site I signed up with, 3BB is DNS Hijacking so VPN won't work. If I get a ddwrt router and redirect DNS from port 53 to 54, or vice versa it should work. I know it's not trivial and that's why I asked for help in here. 

You need a new router that supports dd-wrt. And then some technical stuff.

Not sure you can find somebody in a computer shop etc that can do it.

how is your 3bb setup?

GPON + router or, fiber cable goes directly into white color router (one small device + 1 router combo or just one device for wifi/fiber)

so I checked dnsleaktest website, it proves 3bb does dns hijacking indeed.

I set up dnscrypt proxy in my openwrt/LEDE router

I restarted dnsmasq with proper options

now I get proper, unhijacked dns

P Hostname ISP Country
213.183.51.45 fvz-arec-nl-ams.dnsrec.meo.ws Melbikomas UAB Netherlandsnl.png
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, muratremix said:

You need a new router that supports dd-wrt. And then some technical stuff.

Not sure you can find somebody in a computer shop etc that can do it.

how is your 3bb setup?

GPON + router or, fiber cable goes directly into white color router (one small device + 1 router combo or just one device for wifi/fiber)

Fibre direct to white modem/router. 

Yes I know I need another router but no use buying one until I know how to setup