Taro (peuk)

chownah

Cassava is mun samlang (I think --Southern Thai its Mun Thet) . Maybe they are growing different cassava in the north because the one's my mother-in-law grows aren't that nice. Kind of fiberous.

Cassava is Manihot esculenta.

Taro is Colocasia esculenta.

Tomato is Lycopersicum esculenta.

I don't think that they are related but I don't really know for sure.

I do know for sure that taro and cassava are not the same because I have some of the corms for taro and they are nothing at all like the tubers for cassava. I went to the internet and found out a bunch of stuff but there are alot of different ways taro can be grown so I am hoping that someone who grows them or has seen it grown in Thailand will say how its done here....also someone who has done it or seen it done might possibly be able to explain what they did in more detail than what I've found on the internet.

you can simply be planted small bulblets in a moisture holding soil, and made to sure to be watered regularly. IT can be planted in either sun or shade, but probably will be happiest in a bright shady spot ( no direct sunlight, but a spot that stays bright all day long)

They will grow in direct sunlight and in heavy shade as well.

but it take time for havest about 5 or 6 months after the leaf near the ground turn to be yellow color and have 2-3 leafes left

you can simply be planted small bulblets in a moisture holding soil, and made to sure to be watered regularly. IT can be planted in either sun or shade, but probably will be happiest in a bright shady spot ( no direct sunlight, but a spot that stays bright all day long)

but it take time for havest about 5 or 6 months after the leaf near the ground turn to be yellow color and have 2-3 leafes left

Thanks for the information. How deep do you plant them? Does it matter which end is up when you plant them....or do you just drop them in the hole and it doesn't matter?

Chownah

Thanks for the information. How deep do you plant them? Does it matter which end is up when you plant them....or do you just drop them in the hole and it doesn't matter?

Chownah

In the fram they do the hole deep 20 cm. and plant 10 cm. deep I think that would work for plant in the pot too

I wonder how Taro came to Thailand. It's one of, if not the most, important staples in the Polynesian diet. Cultivars are of two types: one which favors flooding, the others dryland cultivars.

I'm not at all sure how you would get your 'gift' to divulge which environment it warrants. But surely you could Google it. I did one for the OP, here's the best resource off the top of the page: Taro Cultivation - Best Practices

:o

Edited by Khleerm