Truck Bed Covers For Vigo

I'll be picking up my Toyota Vigo 4x4 double cab pickup in about a week or so and am interested in purchased a streamlined cover for the truck bed that is capable of locking to secure valuables, can be opened (lifted) from the rear, but also raised at the front to function as a roof. I am not interested in the rollbar models. I have seen two models, one from TOP UP and the other one called SPORT UP. The TOP UP model is manually operated and the SPORT UP model is available with electric motor function.

First, the TOP UP model. I would assume that it is relatively easy to open from the rear by unlocking the top and lifting the lid with the assistance of hydraulic dampeners, however has anyone had any experiece with raising the front portion of the lid and securing it into place? I read that you must insert 6 locking pins to secure the top in the up position. Is it difficult for one person to raise and lower the cover?

I also read that you can drive at highway speeds with the lid in the full up position. Is there any speed restriction to driving with the lid in this position? Lastly, how strong is the mechanical linkage (hardware) on the TOP UP lid? Is it very strong and still or is it very flimsy and flexible? Does the top rattle or make any kind of noise (up or down position) when driving on the highways in Thailand and particularly when driving over potholes.

SPORT UP - I have seen this model and the mechanical linkage (hardware) appears to be very strong and heavy duty, more so than that on the TOP UP model. Also, the hardware mounts to both the bed floor and the bed side panels whereby on the TOP UP model, the hardware only mounts to the bed side panels. Possibly, the hardware has to be stronger to support the motorized function of the cover. I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that the motorized function is used only to lift the front portion of the cover.

I have been quoted a price of Baht 18,000 for the TOP UP cover and Baht 26,000 for the SPORT UP cover here in Pattaya. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Pattaya Dave

I'll be picking up my Toyota Vigo 4x4 double cab pickup in about a week or so and am interested in purchased a streamlined cover for the truck bed that is capable of locking to secure valuables, can be opened (lifted) from the rear, but also raised at the front to function as a roof. I am not interested in the rollbar models. I have seen two models, one from TOP UP and the other one called SUPER UP. The TOP UP model is manually operated and the SUPER UP model is available with electric motor function.

CORRECTION: THE SECOND TRUCK BED COVER IS CALLED SUPER UP, NOT SPORT UP. THANKS, PATTAYA DAVE

First, the TOP UP model. I would assume that it is relatively easy to open from the rear by unlocking the top and lifting the lid with the assistance of hydraulic dampeners, however has anyone had any experiece with raising the front portion of the lid and securing it into place? I read that you must insert 6 locking pins to secure the top in the up position. Is it difficult for one person to raise and lower the cover?

I also read that you can drive at highway speeds with the lid in the full up position. Is there any speed restriction to driving with the lid in this position? Lastly, how strong is the mechanical linkage (hardware) on the TOP UP lid? Is it very strong and still or is it very flimsy and flexible? Does the top rattle or make any kind of noise (up or down position) when driving on the highways in Thailand and particularly when driving over potholes.

SUPER UP - I have seen this model and the mechanical linkage (hardware) appears to be very strong and heavy duty, more so than that on the TOP UP model. Also, the hardware mounts to both the bed floor and the bed side panels whereby on the TOP UP model, the hardware only mounts to the bed side panels. Possibly, the hardware has to be stronger to support the motorized function of the cover. It is my understanding that the motorized function is used to lift the front and back portions of the cover via 4 individual electric motors.

I have been quoted a price of Baht 18,000 for the TOP UP cover and Baht 26,500 for the SUPER UP cover here in Pattaya. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Pattaya Dave

Edited by Pattaya Dave

TOP UP model.

> I would assume that it is relatively easy to open from the rear by unlocking the top and lifting...

Yes, turn the key and push up. The problem is the lack of any form of handle on the back of the Top Up cover, so the default method is to use the heels of your hands to push up the cover. This results in a nice hand/dust pattern !

> ....the lid with the assistance of hydraulic dampeners, however has anyone had any

> experiece with raising the front portion of the lid and securing it into place?

Quite easy, the hydraulic piston assists lifting the rear section, then springs help pop-up the front. It is wise to ensure only adult farang fingers help the first few times you do this, there is always the solid clunk as the cover is locked into place - I fear the noise is followed by the plop of a stray finger dropping into the load space. That said, with care I think it is easy to avoid accidents...

There are two brackets that swing over to lock the cover in the up postion, and four bolts that are held in place with spring clips. These fittings securely prevent the cover moving while you are driving, I have not noticed more noise in either position.

> Is it difficult for one person to raise and lower the cover?

No, practice a few times without someone helping you - to get used to it. The worst problem is forgetting one of the bolts, the cure to this problem takes about five minutes with a small pot of bright orange paint.

> I also read that you can drive at highway speeds with the lid in the full up position.

Generally in the up position you are carrying more people or a load, one does not normally drive at 140 kph with people in the back.

> Is there any speed restriction to driving with the lid in this position?

Common sense applies? :o

> Lastly, how strong is the mechanical linkage (hardware) on the TOP UP lid?

Solid construction. not flimsy IMHO

> Does the top rattle/noise (up/down) highways / potholes.

There is movement but nothing that is a problem or causes noise or rattling that I notice on any road, town, highway or off-road.

Other thoughts.

One area I would like to change is the metal lugs that form the inter-lock between the top of the tail gate and the bottom rear of the Top Up cover. As the tail gate does not have a lock, just the handle to drop the tail gate down, the only security is provided by the rear section of the Top Up cover an those lugs. It does not feel as secure as I would want it to be, I haven't got a solution yet.

There is a stablising bar inside the cover, I find this useful for tying off dogs, children, bags etc.

The inside of the cover itself offers a large space for seldom used flat storage, I am looking at some fibre glass anchor points to help stow a tow rope. Nothing too heavy as travel bouncing may put through a stress fracture on the cover.

I would like to wire the tail gate into the alarm system, I feel it is a weak point to the car and fairly easy to cure when I get round to thinking out the wiring and the right type of switch.

Getting some storage boxes and elasticated luggage straps is useful to avoid smaller items scattering across the load space when stored there while driving.

No idea of cost - came with the car (Ranger)

My Vigo has a Grand Carryboy Sportlid GSM.

It cost about 25,000 at the Motor expo. It has the assist hydralic arms to raise the front, and then, you push a button ,and the back is raised with an electric assist motor. If you drive with the top up, you need to secure the 4 support rods on each corner, otherways it bounces around like crazy (tried it on a short trip, one block.

Problems? None in over a year. Works great, and looks great too, imo.

http://www.carryboy.com/sportlid_gsm.php

My Vigo has a Grand Carryboy Sportlid GSM.

It cost about 25,000 at the Motor expo. It has the assist hydralic arms to raise the front, and then, you push a button ,and the back is raised with an electric assist motor. If you drive with the top up, you need to secure the 4 support rods on each corner, otherways it bounces around like crazy (tried it on a short trip, one block.

Problems? None in over a year. Works great, and looks great too, imo.

http://www.carryboy.com/sportlid_gsm.php

Thanks for the replies thus far. Cuban, your description of the TOP UP cover and its function has been invaluable. I also enjoyed reading your critique of the cover and recommended improvements.

I have looked at the CARRYBOY SM model on their website as I am not interested in the GSM model with built in roll bar. I found it to be interesting, but knew little of it. Real-time reviews by those that own and use it are the only true testimonials to the quality and functionally of the product. You can't believe all the hype thats presented on their web sites.

All-in-all, it seems that the SUPER UP Cover at Baht 26,500 with electric motors at the front and back of the cover for raising and lowering the cover may be the best overall value. I have seen this model being installed and the hardware is solid, no wiggle in the cover when fully raised at the front and back. Has anyone out there purchased and use this cover? I am extremely interested in your analysis and views of this cover.

My only negative to purchasing the SUPER UP Cover is the long term reliability of the fully electronic (4 electric motors) technology used to raise and lower the top. In operation, the top raises and lowers very smoothly and quietly. I believe, but have not confirmed, due to the electronic motor operation, you don't have to manually lock the top in the full up position. One of my concerns is if one or more of the electric motors failed, I may not be able to open the top at all. On the upside, the hardware is heavy duty and strong.

A full manually operated cover such as the TOP UP would most likely be the more reliable choice over the long term, however I am still undecided as to whether I should choose simple and reliable function exclusively and ignore convenience altogether.

All of you SUPER UP cover owners, please post a review. Also, does anyone know who makes the SUPER UP as I can't find any mention of it on the internet.

Thanks,

Pattaya Dave

I visited the BOY Car Customizing/Accessory shop yesterday and they were fitting a Super Up bed cover on a Toyota Vigo Exclusive, same model I am getting. The top and particularly the metal hardware is heavy duty. The function of the electronically operated bed cover is smooth and quiet. My only reservations to purchasing this cover is the reliability of the (4) electric motors used to raise and lower the top. There was also a second Toyota Vigo at the shop at the same time having one of the electric motors replaced that had failed. I guess I'm about 50/50 as to whether I will pull the trigger and purchase the SUPER UP bed cover.

Of note, a third Toyota Vigo was at the shop that had the TOP UP bed cover installed. The owner, Thai, demonstrated how to operate the mechanism to raise both the rear and forward portions of the cover. I wouldn't say that it was difficult, however it does require a coordinated and constant motion to raise the forward portion of the cover and an equally coordinated and constant motion to again lower it. I think that it would be ok for a man to handle, but I'm not so confident that a woman can open and close the forward section of the top. I also found that the top was a bit shaky when open with a lot of loose play in the lifting mechanism. It uses two locking levers and 4 locking pins to hold it in the up position whereby the the SUPER UP bed cover is rock solid and steady when in the up position with no need for additional securing hardware.

I haven't seen the CARRYBOY SM model in person as yet. It uses mechanical linkage to open the rear portion of the bed cover and (2) electric motors to open the forward portion. That's all I really know about this bed cover.

Has anyone who owns the SUPER UP truck bed cover had any problems with their mechanical linkage or electric motors?

Thanks,

Pattaya Dave

Other thoughts.

One area I would like to change is the metal lugs that form the inter-lock between the top of the tail gate and the bottom rear of the Top Up cover. As the tail gate does not have a lock, just the handle to drop the tail gate down, the only security is provided by the rear section of the Top Up cover an those lugs. It does not feel as secure as I would want it to be, I haven't got a solution yet.

I have seen two simple solutions to secure the tailgate. One was to put a small dead bolt on each side. The same kind they use on toilet doors in public places. I thought the second was was better because it keeps the tailgate tight and eliminates any chance of a rattle. They bolted an eye to the tailgate on both sides and then used two small turnbuckles between the eyes and the rear cargo hooks.

There are locks available for tailgates, not sure how they work but have seen them advertised.

The biggest downside of these types of covers IMO is the room taken up by the lifting mechanism. A 4 door truck bed is small to begin with and some of the mechanisms I have seen take up 25% of the load bed.

I opted for the full cab height cover as it offers much better security when transporting goods. When fully raised to carry anything taller than the box, the low profile cover must remain open exposing everything inside.

The back lid of the full cover locks tightly against the tailgate prohibiting it from opening.