Thai sex industry now worth 260 billion baht, say Thai media

webfact

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

They go from billion to million and then back to billion again in the article. 

It is certainly worth more than what the industry generate in income annually. From the title I thought they were doing a IPO of love.

You missed the trillion...

Prostitution will never be made legal in Thailand, even though to many people it may seem to be a logical or sensible solution.

Lots or reasons for this, but not least because the Thais would lose a lot of face as a country if it was made legal.

Secondly, the boys in blue would stand to lost out on some serious income.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

There is no sex industry in Thailand. It’s this unique and special country and culture that defies its naughty human urges by being saintly. 

:cheesy:I bet you got this profound insight from the former sporty tourism Lady. :passifier:

4 hours ago, Ossy said:

Nationalise it, I say and, until he comes clean about all his asses assets, give Prawit the doorman's job at the Victoria massage parlour . . . it's a no-brainer!

A doorman's role is to keep "watch" on what's going on so Prawit certainly has the credentials for the job ...

• Haha 1

What a disgrace that there is not a credible education system, with follow up employment, providing a decent income, so the girls who are caught up in this don't have to hide their faces in shame.

The current situation is the consequence of the total absence of good governance and nothing else.

Edited by metisdead
Oversize and intrusive emoji removed.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Finally it is official. Out of that sum allocate a minimum of 10% to a certain protection "squad" on regular basis and another 5% immediate cash for when they turn up or passing by etc etc.No wonder it is always protected and seldom raided or challanged.?

Sorry, only estimates available as the money changers here would know.

Until social security can look after 50,000 families in Isaan who have at least one member of the family happily working in the industry & sending money home the Government will not rock the boat to heavily.

The Victoria Secret debacle is about mainly non Thai girls & big bucks & heavy corruption along with maybe 

the envelopes getting smaller

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's certainly some of my "hard" currency counted in there.   :smile:

I do wonder if they're counting only money given to the end provider (pun intended).  Or also drinks, lady drinks, transport, restaurants, hotels, etc, etc. used mainly as part of the industry - many, many would go bust without it.

• Thanks 1

All over the world, people admire the thai way of living...so why to comment so often and almost everyday,the "sex side" of this culture? I have worked in 17 countries (Asia,Africa,Europe...) and everywhere adult men and ladies have sex for any reason ,including love but also money or material or professional advantage....so is life...Thailand makes no exception!

• Thanks 1