airline carry on limits in thailand

yogavnture

The answer is that they are entitled to, and sometimes they do check.  7 kg is the norm, but one or two airlines allow 10 kg, and a very few, allow unlimited weight, but not size, as carry on, provided you can safely lift it up into the overhead rack. These include British Airways and now Easy Jet, amazingly.

Sometimes is the answer. For checked in luggage - always.

We recently carried on the maximum size hand baggage and Air Asia, seeing so much hand baggage offered to take it off us at the gate, and put it in the hold for free. As they couldn't fit it in the overhead lockers.

But you can't rely on not being charged. They do check on occasion.

Be also aware that some airlines allow a handbag or laptop case AS WELL as hand baggage.

I heard a rumour that Ryanair are going to start charging 5 pounds to use the overhead lockers. I wonder if that will catch on.

My experience of Air Asia is that if you are in a group and have someone hiding all your carry on  behind a pillar somewhere where the check in staff cannot see you) while each person takes it in turn to check in,  they won't enforce that limit when you and your friends eventually get to the gate, each with lots of hand luggage. Unfair, yes. Guarantees, none. 

I fly Air Asia occasionally.

I have never seen hand luggage being weighed. I have seen loads of passengers with over 7 kg.

I have never seen hand luggage checked for size. I have seen quite a few passengers with more than the allotted size (one bag 56cm x 36cm x 23cm and a handbag or laptop). Usually this is a second package wrapped up as stuff to take home.

I have never seen any passenger told their hand luggage was too much.

I have used AA internationally for many years and regularly seen carry on being checked, not always at check in but often at the gate where you show your boarding pass. Cebu pacific are more relaxed, Filipinos are incapable of not having 2 or 3 bags of carry on. 

i think the airlines should get a clue, if the bag fits in the overhead and is reasonable. let it on.  if they start getting militant with carry on.. pax will just go to other airlines...i know that thai and Vietnam airlines dont seem to care much about this issue which keeps pax coming back.  the key as i see it . is everyone needs to be respectful of issue. too many abuses and the checks start coming

5 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

I have used AA internationally for many years and regularly seen carry on being checked, not always at check in but often at the gate where you show your boarding pass. Cebu pacific are more relaxed, Filipinos are incapable of not having 2 or 3 bags of carry on. 

iknow for a fact in manila Cebu pacific has guards weighing every bag going on board.  i would never fly an American airline internationally unless i had to.

i think the airlines should get a clue, if the bag fits in the overhead and is reasonable. let it on.  if they start getting militant with carry on.. pax will just go to other airlines...i know that thai and Vietnam airlines dont seem to care much about this issue which keeps pax coming back.  the key as i see it . is everyone needs to be respectful of issue. too many abuses and the checks start coming

I agree with some of that... I don't think taking an absolute hard-line position will be financially good for the airline, nor do I think it is operationally feasible on a large scale... but... I DO think they should and have to have some limits - objective limits and whatever they are, stick to them.

I think the keys are to set that limit at a reasonable level that doesn't negatively impact operations (like on-time departures and not delays due to excess cabin bags), is competitive with other airlines and leaves the passengers with a choice of taking carry on only or checking baggage.

Concurrent with the above, I also do think that consistent airline enforcement is a key. I think what makes people even more angry than the rule itself is the perception (real or not) that it isn't being equitably enforced across all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Like everything in Thailand, rules are flexible and you will be lucky or unlucky. Allowing plenty of hand baggage means they don't have to load or unload as much check-in which saves the airline time and money.

Some flights I have travelled on in Europe unloaded the hold baggage onto the tarmac and you carried it to the terminal yourself.

UK international check-in desks are usually very strict on weight of checked and hand baggage, even for Asian airlines, as the fuel cost for each kg. is considerable for long flights, and cuts down how much cargo they can carry.

Thanks for bringing this subject up again.

It is one of my pet hates to see people bringing on hand luggage bags on wheels that 

must be 15/20 kilos at least to avoid paying for luggage with the cheap airlines.

It is also VERY DANGEROUS as I have witnessed on a flight where this luggage was flying around the cabin in very turbulent weather. They became like missiles & one man was hospitalized as a result.

Ask any experienced captain or purser what he thinks about this lack of enforcement.

Luckily these days aircraft take off weight tolerances with more lift mechanisms on the wing

take away that safety factor at least.

I would encourage any airline to strictly enforce 7 kilos & a return to the size checking device.

48 minutes ago, natway09 said:

It is one of my pet hates to see people bringing on hand luggage bags on wheels that 

must be 15/20 kilos at least to avoid paying for luggage with the cheap airlines.

It is also VERY DANGEROUS as I have witnessed on a flight where this luggage was flying around the cabin in very turbulent weather. They became like missiles & one man was hospitalized as a result.

Ask any experienced captain or purser what he thinks about this lack of enforcement.

Luckily these days aircraft take off weight tolerances with more lift mechanisms on the wing

I would encourage any airline to strictly enforce 7 kilos & a return to the size checking device.

Couldn't agree more. There are passengers bringing on "hand" luggage which is way bigger and heavier than the official Air Asia allowance, then I have to struggle to fit my modestly-sized carry-on in between their jumbo packs. I fly Air Asia reasonably frequently, and their enforcement is a farce - have never seen anyone pulled up. Probably to ensure the flight is on time, as they could reap big bucks by adding said packs to hold luggage.

My experience of Air Asia is that if you are in a group and have someone hiding all your carry on  behind a pillar somewhere where the check in staff cannot see you) while each person takes it in turn to check in,  they won't enforce that limit when you and your friends eventually get to the gate, each with lots of hand luggage. Unfair, yes. Guarantees, none. 
Unfair......and irresponsible!! Carry on bags become missiles in many emergency events.
Such people are known as 'me firsters', couldn't give a $hite about their fellow pax, inconsiderate, ignorant, arrogant pigs.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, yogavnture said:

i wonder about thai lion?  i dont think nok checks and i would suspect thai smile dosnt check either

Vietjet weighed my backpack, it was 10kg, she said  oly 7 kg is allowed, I pulled out my two laptops and she said okay, put them back in and she tagged the carry on as overweight, no one paid any attention to that.

9 hours ago, Andyfez said:

I heard a rumour that Ryanair are going to start charging 5 pounds to use the overhead lockers. I wonder if that will catch on.

Already happening. As of yesterday, unless you pay for Priority Boarding, your case is taken off you at the gate and placed into the hold (free of charge).  You can still take on a small (handbag/laptop sized) bag to go under the seat in front of you.

Sometimes if you enroll in their fan club they give you extra weight with checked luggage ie. Nokair, carry on I have been checked once and they charged exorbitant fees, having said that one time I was on a plane and dropped a very heavy bag and was not happy to see that their was a small child in the aisle that it barely missed.

18 hours ago, natway09 said:

My greatest pet hate is the back packers getting on board with their backpacks, huge. Must be around 20kg+. I fly Smile a lot and find them the best.

i was coming back out of Manchester flying Emirats my case was 34kg they made me open my case and take 4kg out. Most of it was pack/tin food and I tried to put it into a carrier bag and they weighed it with my carry on which was 9.5kg so I was 3.5kg over and they were charging me something like £50 kg. I ended giving it to my nephew who took me to the airport. I have noticed that it depends on the individual person on the check in desk.

20 hours ago, flyingdoc said:

The answer is that they are entitled to, and sometimes they do check.  7 kg is the norm, but one or two airlines allow 10 kg, and a very few, allow unlimited weight, but not size, as carry on, provided you can safely lift it up into the overhead rack. These include British Airways and now Easy Jet, amazingly.

People who question the weight limit need to understand that in heavy turbulence, the forces acting  on the over head lockers is tremendous and they do fail.  They are not part of the aircraft structure, they are just an attachment and a fairly weak one at that.  In a bad incident such as a forced landing, god forbid, over head lockers do inevitably fail,and then block the way out for the passengers.  I  get very irritated when I see an airline allowing ridiculous large and heavy bags on the aircraft.  Massive amounts of alcohol  placed there is another safety  argument all together. 

16 hours ago, aussiee said:

I often fly with AA - is unreal what some people take on board and have never seen anyone pulled up. Not know why they tolerate it coz always a battle to fit all the bags in the overhead lockers.  I see this getting worse all the time.

Its a shit airline, that's why! 

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:13 PM, natway09 said:

how would they check ?  scale at boarding gate?  what a nightmare..  best the airlines just let people and hope people are respectful of the limits

15 hours ago, yogavnture said:

how would they check ?  scale at boarding gate?  what a nightmare..  best the airlines just let people and hope people are respectful of the limits

Most UK airports have scales at the boarding gate, they just dont normally use them .  Its not beyond the wit of man to pop the bag on the scales while the agent checks passport and boarding card.