Soi Dogs Can Anything be done

krey

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to feed the dogs would be crazy, that is also where a lot the the roadside rubbish comes from 

[thais leaving food in plastic bags or polystyrene boxes },

my area also has many dogs {i have NEVER  seen a pack of 32 though }.

they generally dont pose a problem to me,when i go walking..

i have noticed, in the areas where i pick up rubbish-the dogs come running to me--they think that i am going to feed them...im now their "friend", even though they DONT  get food from me--they dont forget me...

i think the dog "problem" is here to stay.....

8 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Treat dogs with kindness, and most will become your life long pals. Case in point, a big  dude gave me a shove, and my Presa floored him. Fortunately Bandit obeyed my stop! command, or the oaf would have been seriously hurt.

However, once in a while, I have had to put a dominant male in his place with eye contact and a harsh tone - then, next day, I followed up with treats.

BANDIT 1988.jpg

Congratulations, a nice looking pooch. From the Canary Islands?

17 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Treat dogs with kindness, and most will become your life long pals. Case in point, a big  dude gave me a shove, and my Presa floored him. Fortunately Bandit obeyed my stop! command, or the oaf would have been seriously hurt.

However, once in a while, I have had to put a dominant male in his place with eye contact and a harsh tone - then, next day, I followed up with treats.

BANDIT 1988.jpg

"....next day, I followed up with treats." You fed him the big dude?  Lol.

I believe there are official Dog Catchers attached to the Health departments of Tessabaans.  In my area of Chiang Mai the Dog Catchers complained that they were unable to do their job due to the protests from locals.  It is a problem everywhere in Thailand it seems.

It's the culture of Buddhism. Do not hurt, and do not kill.

If the dogs are bothering you, do as I did. Keep a 1-1.5 meter stick on both ends of your route.

Dogs in Thailand are stick trained. I watched an old lady, do it.

You don't have to hit the dog, the sight of the stick is enough to scare the dog.

Learn to live with it. This is not your home country.

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

What about 'neutering' the males? Maybe cheaper. 

I am reminded of visiting a farm, as a kid, and seeing the farmer neutering some bull calves. A sharp knife, an incision and removing testicles did the trick. I was stunned by what I saw, but never forgot it. :shock1:

If you fail to neuter one male, or allow a male from elsewhere to follow his nose to the bitches in heat, the problem remains.

On 1/18/2018 at 5:38 AM, daoyai said:

if they are truly dangerous the locals will not tolerate them... observe how the locals behave around them and learn.  adapt.

Silly reply. The dogs "Belong" to the residents and are used to them. A farang walking along the street is a perceived threat to the residents so they become agressive.

They're a damned menace and should be culled IMHO, and so should the dogs.

Edited by jesimps

There's a problem where I live in Hua Hin as well , many roads have soi dogs. Its one of my pet hates :wink:.

Seriously though , Thais saying they shouldn't do anything bad to these dogs as they are Buddhist and animal lovers is ridiculous , when you look at the countries record of animal cruelty etc.

A lot of these dogs are a menace as they over breed.

They are also responsible for many deaths and traffic accidents! as they often just wander into the road in front of motorcycles.

The government really ought to do more to erase the problem.

This is an age old problem.

I am a dog lover but not blind enough not to see the negative affects here which can even spread 

disease, attacks & in the end can even have a very negative affect on tourism.

Unfortunately the Thais with their over the top religious  beliefs collectively  do not even want to accept 

that there is a problem, individually only if they are directly affected eg, kid gets bitten.

Culling the old along with spaying young females would be a great thing, but no one is allowed to activate the former & who will pay for & oversee the latter.

The councils tend to just turn a blind eye

On 1/17/2018 at 11:48 AM, krey said:

...can anything be done at all to help resolve the situation.

At Koh Samui we have a foundation that sterilize and vaccinate the soi dogs...:smile:

KOH SAMUI: -- The Soi Dog Foundation on Friday started its canine sterilisation and vaccination programme in Koh Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan to prevent further unwanted dogs being born, eliminate rabies, create a smaller, healthier and more sustainable population of dogs, and improve the environment for both animals and humans. 

Link to ThaiVisa news article (8th September 2017): Soi Dog Foundation expands canine sterilisation, vaccination programme.

Actually yes something can be done, I've done it twice quite recently myself. Go the the  Amphur office tell them the problem and there is department which deals with this, they will come out see who owns the dogs, issue a warning to them that if the dogs are not off the street they will be removed in 7 days. Any unknown dogs will be removed, if people say it's not true I;m telling you I;ve done this twice already and its worked.

30 minutes ago, natway09 said:

This is an age old problem.

I am a dog lover but not blind enough not to see the negative affects here which can even spread 

disease, attacks & in the end can even have a very negative affect on tourism.

Unfortunately the Thais with their over the top religious  beliefs collectively  do not even want to accept 

that there is a problem, individually only if they are directly affected eg, kid gets bitten.

Culling the old along with spaying young females would be a great thing, but no one is allowed to activate the former & who will pay for & oversee the latter.

The councils tend to just turn a blind eye

Why do the Thai's not carry out solutions used in many Western countries?

Natway09, You have identified the cultural & financial reasons; and the root cause of growth of the problem:

"Culling the old along with spaying young females would be a great thing, but no one is allowed to activate the former & who will pay for & oversee the latter."

On 1/18/2018 at 12:10 AM, Nick ZepTepi said:

Feeding them attracts as many as the food will support.

If you can spread the word not to feed & keeping food waste in secure waste bins with good reasons will discourage them.

I remember seeing bins made from old tyres at the side of the road in other parts of Thailand, they are heavy duty with heavy enough lids to keep the dogs out I'm sure, how they compare cost wise to vet bills I'm not sure.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Good luck with that approach haha

What makes you think they will even consider a request like that? If anything you will be causing more problems for yourself...

Because not only will you have a problem with the dogs but you will now have a problem with people. hahaha

if you actually feel threatened by some of the dogs you can call animal control. (dont let anyone know it was you who called)

Do not mistreat the dogs or do anything stupid like causing the dogs harm you will get charged with animal cruelty and most likely have a problem with the neighbors and the people who took it upon themselves to help care for the dogs.

Pretty sure you know the saying when in Rome...  throw the dogs some scraps every now and then and they will probably start being friendly or at least neutral to your proximity.

just want to add not all dogs you see on the street are strays... Some owners will let their pets roam around freely. (something that is obviously not allowed in most western countries)

Edited by speckio

On 1/17/2018 at 8:03 PM, saakura said:

How is it that the locals who live in the same Soi are not affected ? Or thai dogs do not like farangs ?

Because the dogs know the locals.  When you become a 'local', it becomes a non-issue.  But, the OP has a point. 
Learn about dominance in dogs, then understand how to be the dominate 'dog' on the street.  I've had some interesting encounters, but I also understand most dog behavior. 
I've been attacked a number of time, but never bitten.  It's how you conduct yourself that determines that outcome.. 
If you're prey, well, your screwed.  Do your research.  Don't be prey.  Understand dog behavior.  If you don't, well, don't complain.

I've encounters true soi dogs in Chiang Mai and Korat while I used to live in those cites (downtown), and in the village I now live in (very rural).  I walk a lot.  I change up my exercise programs and may not walk down the same roads for up to 6 months to a year.  Has a lot to do with the local weather.  New dogs show up.  There is a large pack about 2 clicks for where I live.  Family: whole generations of dogs - about 20 total.  Walk though there and if you're not the 'top dog' (that's how you handle yourself) and you have the real possiblity of getting hurt. "Authorities" will do nothing, well, perhaps other than arresting you if you hurt the dogs.  But if you run them over in your car, it's not problem.  Go figure. "Dog run in front of car, can not brake.  So sorry" Wai wai wai. 
I deal with the dogs wherever I live, I gain their respect.  I've lived in Thailand over 10 years and have never hit a dog in my car. Rocks.  A couple of time.  It was needed.
However, on the 100 meter stretch of road I live on, over the last 7 years we have had 5 dogs and 1 cat (mine) killed right in front of the house.  Nobody stops; no body cares. 
So, understand you options.  Learning dog behavior and assimilating is the best idea.  If you can't do that - well, you're the problem.

Edited by connda

9 hours ago, lvr181 said:

"So, in answer to your question, yes things can be done, but it's unlikely anything humane will be done."

Correct, but perhaps some lateral thinking might suggest rounding them up and selling them to a nearby country or two as livestock? After all, as I understand, Australians eat the two animals that appear on their national emblem, the Australian Coat of Arms. :coffee1:

Bring it on, lol.

And very tasty they are too!

9 hours ago, lvr181 said:

What about 'neutering' the males? Maybe cheaper. 

I am reminded of visiting a farm, as a kid, and seeing the farmer neutering some bull calves. A sharp knife, an incision and removing testicles did the trick. I was stunned by what I saw, but never forgot it. :shock1:

Try catching a soi dog. 555. Then put it in a dog crush (just like a cattle crush but smaller). Then try to do something at the non- biting end without getting your hands ripped to pieces!!! Don't forget to video the whole thing as it could make you rich (or infamous if PETA get hold of the video).  I also had a vet demonstrate the de-nackering process on a young bull, easy, they don't bite, can't turn around or kick when you are hard up against their rear end in the crush.

What it needs is the govt to instruct vets to run a free de-sexing service.  Even then catching them will not be easy.

On 1/18/2018 at 4:16 PM, canthai55 said:

Fill water pistol with bleach. More reach than a stick. Aim for the eyes. May save your life.

I have a squirt bottle with ammonia and powdered red pepper in my water bottle bike holder, only had to use it a few times, always growl when you squirt, they will remember your growl and smell and keep far away from you.  You have to be the Aloha or they will bug you the rest of the time you are here.  I am lucky, moved to place that has five or six dogs outside the gates, they guard the place against other dogs............don't bother us at all.  Of course they are well fed as well, and suspect they have been spayed or neutered, haven't seen them humping or any pups about.

On 1/19/2018 at 12:51 AM, Ruffian Dick said:

Maybe you need to start feeding the dogs. They won't hate you so much.

Yes of course, you need to count them on your way out, and before you set off home have the beer bar BBQ guy cook you up the same number of chicken on a stick. Then on your way home you can feed each one by hand, get a suitable licking around the face, and proceed on home safely. You may wish to vary the diet by popping into Tesco and buying plastic bowls and big bags of dog food to distribute. Cold clean water would also be well received. Soon you will have hundreds of waggy tailed friends following you around when you come and go, like a Pied Piper,

22 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

So if you don't feed them they all disappear? No, you're just surrounded by hungry dogs.

In the short term the problem is still there and perhaps even worse because they are more aggressive.  But that is the best long-term solution.