Cops descend on Bangkok pub still open at 4am

webfact

Cops descend on Bangkok pub still open at 4am

By The Nation

54956905076ab9ee7e37d15371bb9b9d.jpeg

Police raided a pub on Sukhumvit Soi 22 in Bangkok Thursday morning after it stayed open well past the mandated 2am closing time.

Tally, on the ground floor of the Holiday Inn in Vadhana district, was still open at 4am when police arrived, about 200 patrons drinking and dancing.

10463180a7fb89c4e49fc97e556bbb28.jpeg

Twenty of them tested positive for illicit drugs and were taken to Police Hospital to have the test results confirmed, in which case they faced legal action.

Pub manger Thananwit Jadmee, 34, was charged with violating the law on closing times and both operating a pub and selling alcoholic drinks without a licence.

9e7ddd8f0de9503867cdb76ce15fb7e6.jpeg

Pol Col Thirachai Chamnarnmor, commander of the children and women’s welfare police, led the raid in conjunction with Tourist Police and officers from Thonglor station.

He said the pub had been operating illegally for five months.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30336548

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-18

I guess they drove right on past up Insomnia,  just over on a neighboring Soi. 

Is this news because a club was shut down outside of operating hours,  or news because it blatantly shows that enforcement of such laws are at the discretion of those with questionable motivation? 

Bangkok nightlife is already dead as a dodo,  I visited last in October and felt that after 2-3days I couldn't bare to go out at night any longer.  The food stalls are gone,  the smalls are gone,  the prices have gone up,  and all the shop owners tell are stories of no customers,  no money and no fun.  Some of these are people I have known for 10+ years.

Lucky those quality Chinese bus tourists go home after dark in Bangkok and a large proportion of Western tourists have already moved on to Vietnam,  Burma and Cambodia. 

Edited by TheGhostWithin

21 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

The junta don't do fun or booze....the Thai killjoy squad has largely got their way now.

Guess what - in most countries if you run a bar, pub, disco, club etc and choose to operate outside the license or permitted by law, you get a problem.

I guess they drove right on past up Insomnia,  just over on a neighboring Soi. 

Is this news because a club was shut down outside of operating hours,  or news because it blatantly shows that enforcement of such laws are at the discretion of those with questionable motivation? 

Bangkok nightlife is already dead as a dodo,  I visited last in October and felt that after 2-3days I couldn't bare to go out at night any longer.  The food stalls are gone,  the smalls are gone,  the prices have gone up,  and all the shop owners tell are stories of no customers,  no money and no fun.  Some of these are people I have known for 10+ years.

Lucky those quality Chinese bus tourists go home after dark in Bangkok and a large proportion of Western tourists have already moved on to Vietnam,  Burma and Cambodia. 

"Western tourists have already moved on to Vietnam,  Burma and Cambodia."

LMAO, Vietnam for food, Cambodia for junkies and... Burma? The new night club capital? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

17 minutes ago, toughlove said:

"Western tourists have already moved on to Vietnam,  Burma and Cambodia."

LMAO, Vietnam for food, Cambodia for junkies and... Burma? The new night club capital? emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Not sure where the western tourists have moved on to, but they have definitely moved on. I think mostly to the islands, pattaya, and phuket. Bangkok has become a ghost town on the street. The indoor venues still do okay, but are too lame for my taste, and close too early.

Not sure where the western tourists have moved on to, but they have definitely moved on. I think mostly to the islands, pattaya, and phuket. Bangkok has become a ghost town on the street. The indoor venues still do okay, but are too lame for my taste, and close too early.
Dunno but I'm guessing you live out in the burbs. I live half way between Nana and Asoke and the streets are packed every night. Bars are full to overflowing. And that's the case in low season but now it's off the charts.

99%of tourists never came to slurp chicken soup on rat infested sois nor did they come to drink on the old street bars between 12am and 5am.. Those dudes were counted in the hundreds not millions.

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Guess what - in most countries if you run a bar, pub, disco, club etc and choose to operate outside the license or permitted by law, you get a problem.

In thailand you get a brown envelope and fill it. Easy easy

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

Just wondering , does anyone perchance think that some brown envelopes may not have changed hands and that they need to tell all on TV about it ?

Is there anyone with amazing powers of observation ?

No the battery on the clock ran out

23 hours ago, toughlove said:

Dunno but I'm guessing you live out in the burbs. I live half way between Nana and Asoke and the streets are packed every night. Bars are full to overflowing. And that's the case in low season but now it's off the charts.

99%of tourists never came to slurp chicken soup on rat infested sois nor did they come to drink on the old street bars between 12am and 5am.. Those dudes were counted in the hundreds not millions.

I live Suk 45. I walk Suk 4 to 23 many nights, and compared to 5 years ago it is dead!

Yes, as I pointed out, the indoor establishments are doing a relatively okay business, but it is nothing like it was before.

To say anything now is off the charts suggests a short time horizon.

On 1/18/2018 at 1:49 PM, Baerboxer said:

Back to ya.

In Thailand there seems to be a tendency to change the location of the goal posts.

Just saying..

I live Suk 45. I walk Suk 4 to 23 many nights, and compared to 5 years ago it is dead!

Yes, as I pointed out, the indoor establishments are doing a relatively okay business, but it is nothing like it was before.

To say anything now is off the charts suggests a short time horizon.

It's an illusion. These days people are walking 3 abreast on wide foot paths but back in the crazy days we were forced to do a single file Congo dance squeezed in by the greedy pig vendors.

Of course it looked busy. And then we had hundreds of tables of unlicensed bars for more squeeze

Funny thing is I still find myself at times walking on the Rd just to get away from the much bigger crowds.

1 minute ago, toughlove said:

It's an illusion. These days people are walking 3 abreast on wide foot paths but back in the crazy days we were forced to do a single file Congo dance squeezed in by the greedy pig vendors.
Of course it looked busy.

Funny thing is I still find myself at times walking on the Rd just to get away from the much bigger crowds.

You are clearly not in Bangkok, lower sukhumvit, after midnight. There are no crowds to be seen.

8 hours ago, Kurtsie said:

I may be missing something here as I have never there, but isn't the Holiday Inn also in deep doodoo for alowing this place to operate to those hours and without a license???

I suspect the Holiday Inn  location is definitely a franchise but nevertheless I agree with you and  am surprised that there was an apparent lack of over site.     I'd  imagine the franchise holder has  some concern about his loss of license from Holiday Inn and the general fall out of this police caper.   Or he may be "Connected" and doesn't give a darn

You are clearly not in Bangkok, lower sukhumvit, after midnight. There are no crowds to be seen.

I never said there were. Why would Sukhumvit be crowded after midnight?

Strange post, most cities on the planet die down after midnight

Try to keep up [emoji3]

10 minutes ago, toughlove said:

I never said there were. Why would Sukhumvit be crowded after midnight?

Strange post, most cities on the planet die down after midnight

Try to keep up emoji3.png

Fair enough, but when you are ready to party with the big boys, you'll need a watch that runs past midnight.

Until recently, not dying down after midnight was one of the things that made BKK special.