Bank tried to trick me into new higher costing credit card

RBOP

A couple days ago I got a new type of credit card from my bank I already have a credit card with. All the material was in Thai and couldn't figure out why they had sent me a new credit card. So I went to my branch and questioned it. They put me through to the call center. Call center tells me this new type of credit card has more benefits than the current card I have with them. I tell them I'm happy with the card I have now don't need a new one. She goes on to tell some of the benefits anyway. Then I ask what's the annual fee. Its free for the first year then 4,000 Baht if I don't spend more than 200,000 baht. So said "No" and told them to cancel it and then complained  "why would you send me a new card I never signed up for nor wanted, material is all in Thai and I feel you are tricking me".  The card is Passion card. Any thoughts? I'm think they did something illegal.

Banks are a business,and in business to make as much profit

as possible,and through any means it seems,I think a lot of

people have lost trust in banks.

I suppose what they did to you was a "bait and Switch" you

already had a CC you were happy with,they post you another

which you did not ask for,then don't tell the truth about it till,

you asked for details,now how many other people that also

received the card, bothered to ask about details, quite a few

i suspect,they would have only found out when 4K was added

to their statement after 1 year,when they did not spend 200K.

and I strongly suspect that the bank,knows that !.

regards worgeordie

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Banks are a business,and in business to make as much profit

as possible,and through any means it seems,I think a lot of

people have lost trust in banks.

I suppose what they did to you was a "bait and Switch" you

already had a CC you were happy with,they post you another

which you did not ask for,then don't tell the truth about it till,

you asked for details,now how many other people that also

received the card, bothered to ask about details, quite a few

i suspect,they would have only found out when 4K was added

to their statement after 1 year,when they did not spend 200K.

and I strongly suspect that the bank,knows that !.

regards worgeordie

"...quite a few i suspect,they would have only found out when 4K was added to their statement after 1 year,when they did not spend 200K".

Unless the cardholder read the information and terms and conditions that was sent with it!  Why would anyone not do that?

Edited by Just Weird

21 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"...quite a few i suspect,they would have only found out when 4K was added to their statement after 1 year,when they did not spend 200K".

Unless the cardholder read the information and terms and conditions that was sent with it!  Why would anyone not do that?

Everybody reads the small print religiously,don't they,why do you think terms and conditions

are always at the end of a document,and in fine print.and sometimes written in legal

mumbo jumbo,not for the benefit of the customer that's for sure,and maybe other people

are not as intelligent and savvy as you are.

regards Worgeordie

18 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Everybody reads the small print religiously,don't they,why do you think terms and conditions

are always at the end of a document,and in fine print.and sometimes written in legal

mumbo jumbo,not for the benefit of the customer that's for sure,and maybe other people

are not as intelligent and savvy as you are.

regards Worgeordie

"...Everybody reads the small print religiously,don't they

They should do, and it's their own fault if they don't, that way they avoid avoidable problems.

"...maybe other people are not as intelligent and savvy as you are".

Maybe you're right, but if they are intelligent and savvy enough to be able to get a credit card maybe they should read what they've signed up for instead of blaming others for their own shortcomings.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

"...Everybody reads the small print religiously,don't they

They should do, and it's their own fault if they don't, that way they avoid avoidable problems.

"...maybe other people are not as intelligent and savvy as you are".

Maybe you're right, but if they are intelligent and savvy enough to be able to get a credit card maybe they should read what they've signed up for instead of blaming others for their own shortcomings.

Yes they should,but been human I suspect few do,

"  but if they are intelligent and savvy enough to be able to get a credit card "

I don't think the Bank asks anyone if they are intelligent or savvy, before giving

them a Credit Card . 

In the OP's case I believe the Bank ,sending out unsolicited Credit Cards,where

if you did not spend  200,000 THB,p.a., you had to pay 4K charges, was at the

least not kosher,especially as terms and conditions were only in Thai,and he

had to make the effort and contact the bank,to find all about it,and promptly

cancelled it.   I believe the Bank did try to trick him.

Regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
add on

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why is the material in Thai?

Maybe because you are doing business with a Thai bank in Thailand, where the local language is Thai?

I can't think of many countries in the world that are fiercely proud of their local language and yet fail to recognise the practical advantage of providing the material also in a recognised international language. Thai is hardly an internationally recognised language (even though the Prime Minister considers it is:giggle:)

as long as Thailand continues this parochial attitude its neighbours in this region will have the upper hand

Edited by midas

19 hours ago, Just Weird said:

After learning to read and understand Thai?

They are tiresome enough in English

I  believe I should sign an agreement for a something that will incur charges, not have it presented to me as a fait accompli. As to credit cards, they should cost you nothing bar the interest if you foolishly retain a debt.

Edited by jacko45k

I seriously believe that Thai people are not devious enough to come up with scams, come-ons, switch and baits, complex conditions etc. by themselves.

All they need to do is visit any 'developed' country and copy some of the established business (mal)practices that are rampant in the west.

Just read the English tabloids!

Do consider that credit cards with higher fees generally come with much greater benefits.  My credit card costs over $100 a year in fees but comes with free travel insurance, cash back of $1 for every $75 spent, plus various consumer protection benefits etc.  At first I baulked at the fees but when I took the time to study the benefits I realised it was actually a great deal.  Just the travel insurance alone (which also covers spouse) makes it more than worth while...and when I factor in the cash back - I currently get $25 - $30 / month back - I am on to a winner.  So before you diss the bank and the card for the higher fees, take some time to read up on all the benefits.  It might not be such a bad deal after all!

On 1/20/2018 at 4:12 PM, RBOP said:

A couple days ago I got a new type of credit card from my bank I already have a credit card with.

Something similar happened to me a few years ago. I had cancelled my Amex card and got a cheaper Citibank Gold card because I'd just retired. When the Gold card expired they sent me a Platinum card I hadn't asked for. When I complained, they claimed they had sent me a letter and I hadn't replied to reject the new card. They also told me the new card had more benefits and no annual fee, but it turned out that after the first year I had to spend at least 100K for them to waive the fee.

Anyway, I kept the new card, which turned out to be the Special Edition Platinum Rewards card - not a lot of good to me until they started allowing the conversion of points to AirAsia points. So, a happy ending of sorts.

Could be your 'fees' are paying for a large portion of your 'benefits'. :sad:

No such thing as a 'free lunch' and also if it seems to be to good to be true then it is probably not true. A general comment, not specifically aimed at your CC.

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

After learning to read and understand Thai?

They are tiresome enough in English

I  believe I should sign an agreement for a something that will incur charges, not have it presented to me as a fait accompli.

"Tiresome" or not, they are there for the customers edification and protection. 

If you're living by choice in a country with a different language to your own, and you want to avail yourself of services or facilities offered by banks in that foreign country, the onus is on you to be able to understand the conditions that go with the service offered.  

It's odd how some people are so happy to accept the benefits of, say, a local credit card, but as soon as something easily preventable happens, that is the fault of no one but themselves, they go crying to forums to whinge about it.  Maybe their time would be better spent learning the language.

1 hour ago, meinphuket said:

My wife went to apply for credit,  and instead they tried to sell her insurance we never asked for , even followed up at our home phone using details from the credit application form.

Unless your wife's application was declined, you must mean an attempt was made to sell her insurance as well as, not instead of.  That is what financial institutions do the world over, it is nothing new and it is an accepted part of the business that can be beneficial, particularly if that insurance covers debts on the credit card.

No... the bank did not try to trick you.

You seem to think that you are the only one who received a new card.  

In all reality, the bank probably sent EVERYONE who had a card like you have the exact same new card, with the exact same information explaining in detail about the fees/benefits, etc.  The fact that you don't speak Thai is not a problem with the bank...nor was it an attempt by the bank to deceive you.  It's the reality of living in a country where you don't know the language.  You just didn't understand what they told you.  When you contacted them and told them you didn't understand, they explained it to you again clearly so that you did.  Absolutely zero deceit/trickery on the part of the bank.

Also, please note that you said that the use of the new card is FREE for a year.  In other words, even if you DIDN'T understand and used the card you would not have been charged anything.  Again, not tricks by the bank.

Most people use their primary bank card for a large portion of their portions, especially things bigger than buying street food or paying for taxis.  As long as you had used your card for 200,000 in a year (about 18,000/month) then you still wouldn't have been charged anything in the future... yet you would still have a lot of free benefits for you.  If you didn't use your card for that... then at the end of the first year, you just cancel that card/go back to your old card and you're not out even a penny but you've earned free benefits for a year.

In what world is that tricking you????

Your story might explain why about two years ago a bank I usually only keep enough money in for pocket money...sent me two unrequested credit cards ..Visa and Mastercard. I never even bothered activating them.

So glad now I didn't. I had my suspicions but now after reading your post I think I was on the right track.

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"Tiresome" or not, they are there for the customers edification and protection. 

If you're living by choice in a country with a different language to your own, and you want to avail yourself of services or facilities offered by banks in that foreign country, the onus is on you to be able to understand the conditions that go with the service offered.  

It's odd how some people are so happy to accept the benefits of, say, a local credit card, but as soon as something easily preventable happens, that is the fault of no one but themselves, they go crying to forums to whinge about it.  Maybe their time would be better spent learning the language.

It didn't sound like a service 'offered', more just presented and unwanted and charged for.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It didn't sound like a service 'offered', more just presented and unwanted and charged for.

He wasn't charged anything, he cancelled the card.  Whether the service is offered or presented does not matter if you don't bother to read, or don't find a way to understand, the conditions.

Edited by Just Weird

8 hours ago, orientalist said:

Something similar happened to me a few years ago. I had cancelled my Amex card and got a cheaper Citibank Gold card because I'd just retired. When the Gold card expired they sent me a Platinum card I hadn't asked for. When I complained, they claimed they had sent me a letter and I hadn't replied to reject the new card. They also told me the new card had more benefits and no annual fee, but it turned out that after the first year I had to spend at least 100K for them to waive the fee.

Anyway, I kept the new card, which turned out to be the Special Edition Platinum Rewards card - not a lot of good to me until they started allowing the conversion of points to AirAsia points. So, a happy ending of sorts.

I have had Amex platinum since 1997 - yes it is expensive, but once on a trip to South Africa in 2005, I had a suitcase stolen in the airport, right under my nose, here one second, gone the next had two Apple laptops, several Nikon camera bodies, lenses, high speed film, sound equipment etc et etc  -  Amex granted me over $8,000 credit on my card for replacement costs - because I bought them all with Amex, as well as the  airline ticket.  So the insurance alone was worth it in my case, I am still sending their money in annual fees............and hand delivered a new card to my Hotel in Jo'Burg............

On 22/01/2018 at 9:57 AM, Just Weird said:

Unless your wife's application was declined, you must mean an attempt was made to sell her insurance as well as, not instead of.  That is what financial institutions do the world over, it is nothing new and it is an accepted part of the business that can be beneficial, particularly if that insurance covers debts on the credit card.

All the truth is here.

My other half received the same card a week or two ago and laughed to me about this annual fee and the 300k Baht limit she has.

Anyone with half a brain and able to read the conditions will know its same as every other card...pay the balance in full every month or don't use it and in the case of annual fee cards cancel them before the year is out.

Same in every country in the world....conning the OP lmao its what credit card companies do!