Video: Farang wows Thais with knowledge of Buddhist ways

webfact

3 hours ago, mrbfly said:

Agreed, incredible so many totally ignorant non-thais that lives or comes to Thailand not knowing anything (cos it's too hard for them to comprehend?) - yet fast commenting - about 2.500 yrs of buddhist culture and what's behind 

where is there Buddhist culture in Thailand? I asked the abbot of our temple if he actually teaches the basics of Buddhism because in my view the villagers know absolutely nothing about his teachings, many even think he was Thai. He told me that the people love the ceremony but aren't to keen about thinking about the philosophy behind the teachings, the concept of 'no-thing' is a bit hard for them so they get the children's story version (as do some of the monks) He himself is very knowledgeable and I have often discussed with him about Advaita Vedanta and the similarities of Hinduism and Buddhism but when I asked him if he was 'enlightened' he just smiled and said he was more of an administrator.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, daoyai said:

seriously? so these freaky dudes can "graap" in front of a statue is worthy of praise? hilarious.

Is it better to show your backside in a temple and post it?

I'm sorry,. but that's how ordinary folk behave in a country where Theravada Buddhism is the main religion. 

P.S. After some research I've got to agree that the guy is a freak. His name is not Kock, it's Koch, the German name for cook.

The guy is a real Kock!!!

And the guy's really insane. From his facebook page: ( It's next to his absurd photo)

"..back in my Cave ..5555 Sabei Sabei ... 
Love Peace & Respect to all beings  "

OMG, I'm out of words, how can Thais, or anybody else like that? 

Fool.jpg

Edited by jenny2017

3 hours ago, mrbfly said:

Agreed, incredible so many totally ignorant non-thais that lives or comes to Thailand not knowing anything (cos it's too hard for them to comprehend?) - yet fast commenting - about 2.500 yrs of buddhist culture and what's behind 

Thais, generally, are clueless about Buddhism too and here it's a mixture of Animism, Hinduism and some Buddhism so please don't say '2,500 years culture' it's simply not correct. Buddha never taught about bowing and worshiping his statue not all the amulets and other nonsense.

1 hour ago, mrbfly said:

So thereby you are actually stating that I am`an ignorant farang even I am living here, have studied buddhism for more than 10 years and practicing buddhist? Well it's up to you

I think he is saying that and I concur, if you think this wai-ing is anything to do with Buddhism, then you have a wasted 10 years there old chap.

I think that, like me, probably many expats here have been to the temple with their wife, Thai friend etc and spent some hours sitting cross legged or otherwise and respecting Thai culture and didn't think it was news.

Edited by TKDfella

I think this is a good advertisement  on Face book  for tourists wanting to come to Thailand

visit the  many Temples and learn about Buddhism  

The Thai Tourist board should be promoting this  enjoy the experience and 

learn  the Thai  Culture along with Thai food and beaches ect

4 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

He is not a monk he is a god king

What an absurd post. HH has never claimed to be a 'God King' and would be shocked to be described that way. He is, though, a very advanced individual who practices, and lives his life, in accordance with the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. I have never heard of any Thai that comes close to the Dalai Lama - but that's not to say there has never been one but you won't find him on Doi Amulet.  

5 minutes ago, PattayaAngel said:

What an absurd post. HH has never claimed to be a 'God King' and would be shocked to be described that way. He is, though, a very advanced individual who practices, and lives his life, in accordance with the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. I have never heard of any Thai that comes close to the Dalai Lama - but that's not to say there has never been one but you won't find him on Doi Amulet.  

His name is God King, that is what Dalai Llama means, I really don't think he would be shocked by being called the title that most everyone uses for him!

32 minutes ago, PattayaAngel said:

Thais, generally, are clueless about Buddhism too and here it's a mixture of Animism, Hinduism and some Buddhism so please don't say '2,500 years culture' it's simply not correct. Buddha never taught about bowing and worshiping his statue not all the amulets and other nonsense.

All Buddhism is mixed with animism, none more so than Tibetan Buddhism, Buddha never asked people to abandon their religion, he did not make a new religion, he made a way of life that could be practiced alongside any religion and so we see in all places that Buddhism has been adopted an amalgamation of old religion with the new philosophy.  

Buddha may not have taught about bowing, it may have come with Santideva.

Buddha never said you should not have statues or amulets, that is a common misconception, it is fine to have statues to focus on when meditating and praying, just not to worship the icon.

Other nonsense?

18 minutes ago, PattayaAngel said:

There are many Thai monks who come close to living like Peter Stringfellow or Hugh Heffner though!

So what.  Thais think they somehow are the only practicing Buddhists in the world.  In a way, it's rather sad.  How many of those engaging in propagating the video on social media regarding how well Khun Farang can mimic their rituals actually engage in morality and meditation as opposed the the large number who believe that "Thai Buddhism" is about superstition, ritual, and endless Tam Bun, including giving large amounts of money to the wats with the belief that they will hit the Lucky Lotto.  It really is sad.

Edited by connda

2 hours ago, mrbfly said:

So thereby you are actually stating that I am`an ignorant farang even I am living here, have studied buddhism for more than 10 years and practicing buddhist? Well it's up to you

So you shouldn't get so upset then, chant or something

5 minutes ago, connda said:

So what.  Thai's think they somehow are the only practicing Buddhist in the world.  In a way, it's rather sad.

Can't see some Sombat making the front page of the Mirror for going to confession and saying (quite) a few Hell Mary's

6 hours ago, webfact said:

he had a Thai and Buddhist heart

I was about to say how do they know he has a Thai and Buddhist heart, he could just be showing off in the temple and really not follow any of the teachings of the Buddha in his day-to-day life.

Then I realised my error.

6 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Lovely tattoos.

It even gets better when you look at the t-shirts from behind - especially the yellow one...:)))