Video: Farang wows Thais with knowledge of Buddhist ways

webfact

Video: Farang wows Thais with knowledge of Buddhist ways

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Netizens were wowed by a foreigner after videos of him showing how to pay respects to Buddhist images and monks were posted on the internet.

Outside at the temple of Wat Phu Thong Thepnimit in Udon Thani the video shows Dietmar Kock performing a "graap" for three of his friends to follow.

Inside he was shown on another video showing respects to monks in person and performing other ceremonies.

The footage was put on Facebook by his wife Wiphawee Koch.

Posters praised the foreigner for his respect and knowledge saying that he had a Thai and Buddhist heart.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-24

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here we go with all the bar stool legends and their inane comments about someone that has taken the time to grasp in depth some of the ways of the Thai people.

We’ll see plenty of comments calling this guy out yet we’re supposed to gasp and bow at the feet of those that ‘know everything’ there is to know about Thailand.

Edited by MadMuhammad

4 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

And here we go with all the bar stool legends and their inane comments about someone that has taken the time to grasp in depth some of the ways of the Thai people.

We’ll see plenty of comments calling this guy out yet we’re supposed to gasp and bow at the feet of those that ‘know everything’ there is to know about Thailand.

Agreed, incredible so many totally ignorant non-thais that lives or comes to Thailand not knowing anything (cos it's too hard for them to comprehend?) - yet fast commenting - about 2.500 yrs of buddhist culture and what's behind 

I see that this is a culture that really has the answers I am looking for. These are people clearly at peace and full of empathy for all living things around them. I see no conflict that can't be resolved with a simple wai. I see no greed no corruption just people focusing on  harmony and selflessness. That is why you must copy their ways, even though the Buddha would be horrified to see the idols, the extravagance of the temples, and the opulent lifestyle of many monks. You should copy their every move so you can have what they have. And also you should bathe in a barrel of ink a couple of times a week.

Edited by canuckamuck

13 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I see that this is a culture that really has the answers I am looking for. These are people clearly at peace and full of empathy for all living things around them. I see no conflict that can't be resolved with a simple wai. I see no greed no corruption just people focusing on  harmony and selflessness. That is why you must copy their ways, even though the Buddha would be horrified to see the idols, the extravagance of the temples, and the opulent lifestyle of many monks. You should copy their every move so you can have what they have. And also you should bathe in a barrel of ink a couple of times a week.

Amen!

1 hour ago, mrbfly said:

Agreed, incredible so many totally ignorant non-thais that lives or comes to Thailand not knowing anything (cos it's too hard for them to comprehend?) - yet fast commenting - about 2.500 yrs of buddhist culture and what's behind 

So true !!!

1 hour ago, mrbfly said:

If you are interested in buddhism, go visit your local library in Farangland.

Buddhism is about philosophy, Thai buddhism is about monks.

2 hours ago, mrbfly said:

This isn't 2500 years of Buddhist culture.

It's a person performing a series of movements and uttering some sounds, together they constitute a "ritual".

The "wowing" results from the amazement, of some people, at the dawning revelation that we may not be the two dimensional barbarians they have been taught we are (that they think us to be) and that we might just have the minimal level of "sophistication" required to learn such rituals.

The only ignorance being demonstrated is that of those who are "wowed".

Edited by Enoon

2 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Some  things in life aint worth knowing.

Man, people need to take their heads out of their bums.

Thailand has one of the cruellest cultures on Earth and this is a result of their ethical baseline which is from their religion, just like Euro ethics grow from Christian teachings, Arabian peninsula ethics grow from Islam (even Indonesian Ethics come from Islam)...... I studied this stuff at Uni so before those who are not qualified to talk about this start........... Just don't.

5 minutes ago, Enoon said:

This isn't 2500 years of Buddhist culture.

It's a person performing an easily learned series of movements and uttering some sounds, together they constitute a "ritual"

The "wowing" results from their amazement that, maybe, we are not the barbarians they think us to be and that we can be taught to behave "properly".

The only ignorance being demonstrated is that of those who are "wowed".

So thereby you are actually stating that I am`an ignorant farang even I am living here, have studied buddhism for more than 10 years and practicing buddhist? Well it's up to you

19 minutes ago, trianglechoke said:

Thailand has one of the cruellest cultures on Earth and this is a result of their ethical baseline which is from their religion, just like Euro ethics grow from Christian teachings, Arabian peninsula ethics grow from Islam (even Indonesian Ethics come from Islam)...... I studied this stuff at Uni so before those who are not qualified to talk about this start........... Just don't.

Woow, some just have had their noses into the books for too long to ever see whats going on in the real world ;-) ;-) ;-)

If they are praying with full of devotion, most welcome to any God or any Temple. After all, all humans makes mistake, and and try to reverse the bad karma, which is good.

In fact if we are all doing good in life there is no need of God, and heaven, how full it will be if we see all of them in heaven, some time it is fun to be in hell with bad guys.  Because no beers served in heaven.

In case if you realize your mistakes, you go to God and pray for forgiveness. Your chances can be 50-50.

Kindly don't laugh at them, because they cannot reverse their  temporary Karma look given by tattoos.  :sleepy: Hope to seem them for beer later.

Edited by NextStationBangkok

28 minutes ago, trianglechoke said:

Do you have a masters or a doctorate? If I'm allowed any questions that is. Or was it Theology 101?

Give the man some props for learning what is important in Thai Buddhism, learning the motions, and not wasting time on the teachings. Just like the hosts. The general knowledge level of Buddhist teachings here is "limited" to say the least. Lottery numbers from Monks? Karma? Go donate to local temple and have that all taken care of. Pray to Buddha to save or help you? Oy vey

2 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Give the man some props for learning what is important in Thai Buddhism, learning the motions, and not wasting time on the teachings. Just like the hosts. The general knowledge level of Buddhist teachings here is "limited" to say the least. Lottery numbers from Monks? Karma? Go donate to local temple and have that all taken care of. Pray to Buddha to save or help you? Oy vey

Most of us forget about this. Buddhism is about good principles for better life, especially sharing.

Start the day with sharing some food to others. It could be a Monk, or your colleague, or a friend or a poor person.

It is about sharing the good things with others, it could be food, wealth or knowledge.

We are trying to bring the equilibrium in our existence. Because at the end of the day, we all have to share this common earth equally.

Do these people, or the average Thai for that matter, know what the 4 Noble Truths are? Do they know the 8 fold path and 12 casual links? What about the triple gem? Dare I venture if they have an understanding of emptiness..? 
Probably going to go out on a limb and say nope. 
The average Thai's idea of Buddhism is wearing Amulets and going to a monk when they want something in their life. Buddhism is nothing more than a tradition of greed in this country, for the most part that is. There are of course monks and followers of Buddhism who have an understanding of what the Buddha was teaching, and it has nothing to do with statues and obtaining things 

Edited by Easy Come Easy Go

44 minutes ago, trianglechoke said:

Buddhism has nothing to do with cruelty, the core ethics of it are the opposite. Over time, governments rulers and people may have skewed it into something else, but at it'd core it is full of virtue and compassion.. uni boy