Question About Bus From Bangok To Changmai

kharmabum

hi all,

the 2006 edition lonely planet says that 1st class aircon busses(32 seats) run from mochit(bagkoks northern bus terminal) every hour from early morning to late evening to changmai. does anyone knoe if this is true?

i know the vip 24 seaters only leave in the evening and arrive the next morning,

but i'd really like to catch a bus in the daytime so at least i can have some daylight to read on the bus, but don't want to get stuck taking one of those non aircon 2nd class thumpers that hurt your behind and stop whenever some guy waves it down.

a few years ago i arrived at mochit in the late morning hoping to get some such bus and was told they only run at night, hence, had to take the 2nd class bus. there is no website to check and i can't call because i don't speak thai, so if anyone had first hand experience of this i'd be much oblidged if you let me know.

thanks in advance.

hi all,

the 2006 edition lonely planet says that 1st class aircon busses(32 seats) run from mochit(bagkoks northern bus terminal) every hour from early morning to late evening to changmai. does anyone knoe if this is true?

i know the vip 24 seaters only leave in the evening and arrive the next morning,

but i'd really like to catch a bus in the daytime so at least i can have some daylight to read on the bus, but don't want to get stuck taking one of those non aircon 2nd class thumpers that hurt your behind and stop whenever some guy waves it down.

a few years ago i arrived at mochit in the late morning hoping to get some such bus and was told they only run at night, hence, had to take the 2nd class bus. there is no website to check and i can't call because i don't speak thai, so if anyone had first hand experience of this i'd be much oblidged if you let me know.

thanks in advance.

Taka a train or plane.....Much safer and not much more in price.

You need to realise there are several different competing bus services between Bangkok and Chiang Mai. A no at one pigeon hole only means no there (even if they maintain it goes for all buses). As for the touts who run around in the bus station, you will have to assume they are lying to you all the time (even though some may not be).

To really ascertain the situation, you have to check all relevant pigeon holes yourself.

I agree with Blinky about taking an overnight train or flying with a low cost airline instead. It is worth the extra money.