Ive decided to sell my shares on Nasdaq.

On 2/16/2018 at 10:07 PM, lkn said:

Let’s do another calculation, say you invested the 200,000 in the S&P 500 the 24th of March 2000, so almost 18 years ago. Today you would have only 357,878. You read that correctly, the guy who went in 5 years ago would have *more* than the guy who has been in the market for almost 18 years.

I love this math.  Is there a website that lets you calculate this quickly?

I think forums, ones that you have been on long-term and trust are at least as good as financial advisers. I had several friends that rode Enron and Sun Micro Systems all the way down on the advice of their advisors to hang in there. I got out of Nokia before it was too late. I could never have sorted through the BS online, but several posters made a clear argument why Nokia was not going to control the cell phone market much longer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, luther said:

I think forums, ones that you have been on long-term and trust are at least as good as financial advisers. I had several friends that rode Enron and Sun Micro Systems all the way down on the advice of their advisors to hang in there. I got out of Nokia before it was too late. I could never have sorted through the BS online, but several posters made a clear argument why Nokia was not going to control the cell phone market much longer.

ikn seems to know what hes talking about . i hope my advisor dont dump me. im in a mutual fund called caibx (with lower end fees).  it has gone from 40 to 62 since 2010.  that is 50% growth. but the s and p over that same time period is more than doubled. i have sent him an email about this ''''''''' now he will bitch back at me to call him and not send emails as his boss monitors emails.  what ikn is saying i guess is that for 5 years now the s and p has been on an unusual rip. thanks ikn

17 hours ago, luther said:

Not aware of a website, but you can create a Google Sheet and use the GOOGLEFINANCE function to get stock prices for certain dates (if you want to do a lot of these calculations).

Though I just did it manually based on the price from googling the stock name.

15 hours ago, yogavnture said:

im in a mutual fund called caibx (with lower end fees).  it has gone from 40 to 62 since 2010.  that is 50% growth. but the s and p over that same time period is more than doubled. i have sent him an email about this

The CAIBX fund does not seem like that bad a choice, this is performance of the fund compared to S&P 500 since 2000 (which is reasonable, as the CAIBX fund is focused on American stocks):

image.png.a4634d37d4a9ae2a4b4a3e4b0e8f7857.png

So up until 2008, the CAIBX fund did better than the S&P 500, and kept loses to a minimum following the dotCom crash, but since 2008, it has done worse, if we look only on that period:

image.png.4718601f9dd1e82c37ccec6ac113c13f.png

Here S&P 500 clearly outperforms the CAIBX fund, but I don’t think it is fair to blame your financial advisor for having picked CAIBX, especially since when he invested into this fund in 2010, the historic data did make it look like CAIBX was a better choice than investing directly into an S&P 500 index (even though past performance is no guarantee for future results).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lkn said:

The CAIBX fund does not seem like that bad a choice, this is performance of the fund compared to S&P 500 since 2000 (which is reasonable, as the CAIBX fund is focused on American stocks):

image.png.a4634d37d4a9ae2a4b4a3e4b0e8f7857.png

So up until 2008, the CAIBX fund did better than the S&P 500, and kept loses to a minimum following the dotCom crash, but since 2008, it has done worse, if we look only on that period:

image.png.4718601f9dd1e82c37ccec6ac113c13f.png

Here S&P 500 clearly outperforms the CAIBX fund, but I don’t think it is fair to blame your financial advisor for having picked CAIBX, especially since when he invested into this fund in 2010, the historic data did make it look like CAIBX was a better choice than investing directly into an S&P 500 index (even though past performance is no guarantee for future results).

u the man ikn.  i did ask my advisor and he said caibx also gives 18 dollars dividend/capital gains benefit since 2010 . whatever that means. i do know caibx is a conservative fund. that is actively managed so it might not go up so much in good times but also dont go down so much in bad times. NICE GRAPH>  thats better than my advisor . need a job?

On 2/16/2018 at 3:49 PM, ghworker2010 said:

This article is interesting:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/when-the-next-financial-crisis-hits-there-will-be-little-the-rba-can-do-about-it-20180215-p4z0f1.html

''The “canary” to watch is the US long bond rate – if that moves up (say) 100-150 basis points, expect a stockmarket collapse, and probably a credit crisis.''

The epicenter of the next crises could very well be China:

...with China one of the most indebted nations overall. However, in Australia, where our overall debt-to-GDP is not really that far behind China, near 300 per cent, our household debt is more than twice the global average share, with our government debt only about 38 per cent of the global average. Both countries are exposed to a “debt crisis”, but for different reasons.

On 2/19/2018 at 10:31 AM, lkn said:

Not aware of a website, but you can create a Google Sheet and use the GOOGLEFINANCE function to get stock prices for certain dates (if you want to do a lot of these calculations).

Though I just did it manually based on the price from googling the stock name.

I thought Google discontinued the Google/finance site. What site are you using?

37 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The epicenter of the next crises could very well be China:

...with China one of the most indebted nations overall. However, in Australia, where our overall debt-to-GDP is not really that far behind China, near 300 per cent, our household debt is more than twice the global average share, with our government debt only about 38 per cent of the global average. Both countries are exposed to a “debt crisis”, but for different reasons.

This is a huge concern:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/19/goldman-sachs-warns-us-spending-could-push-up-rates-and-debt-levels.html

Wait for huge corrections in global share markets when the Fed start to raise rates

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

This is a huge concern:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/19/goldman-sachs-warns-us-spending-could-push-up-rates-and-debt-levels.html

Wait for huge corrections in global share markets when the Fed start to raise rates

"Federal deficit spending is headed toward "uncharted territory,"

I think we can safely say that Thailand's 3.38 trillion baht infrastructure master plan is also stepping into uncharted territory. The children of Thailand will have a lot of debt to pay off.

5._Enhancing_Infrastructure_Development_f_92919.jpg

The chart above is about timing the market, in case that is not obvious.  According to many studies I have read over the years, most of the big gains occur in a few days of the year, and if you happen to miss those days, you will not earn the best you could.  Going in and out of the market, pretty much guarantees that you will miss these days, unless you have extraordinary luck.  Also when you are out of the market you will not be earning dividends.  They pay that even when prices are down you know? So, unless you need that money in the near future, common wisdom says to leave it in, because the market always trend up.  That is not true about individual stocks of course.  I hope that is helpful to someone.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, amykat said:

The chart above is about timing the market, in case that is not obvious.  According to many studies I have read over the years, most of the big gains occur in a few days of the year, and if you happen to miss those days, you will not earn the best you could.  Going in and out of the market, pretty much guarantees that you will miss these days, unless you have extraordinary luck.  Also when you are out of the market you will not be earning dividends.  They pay that even when prices are down you know? So, unless you need that money in the near future, common wisdom says to leave it in, because the market always trend up.  That is not true about individual stocks of course.  I hope that is helpful to someone.

yes i read a financiall book said the same thing.......that all the money is made in a a handful of days. the other days are just zig zags. im not very smart but my advisor is. so hopefully he knows what to do..  but i can get out of my ira if i want at any time and go to sidelines for even a day with no penalty. but hell if know when to do that. 

You can change your IRA investments around without any penalties,  if they stay within the IRA envelope so-to-speak and you can invest in whatever you want, be that cash, CDs, Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds,  or a variety of choices.  But being that your money will be locked up for years and in most cases decades, some choices are better than others. If your money is actually in a 401K you might be more limited in your exact choices.   But you can still change them around. You can change from stocks to bonds for example if you wanted to feel more safe, although bonds may not be more safe right now.

So, if you are not retiring soon, and your money will be locked in this "thing" for decades or many years, it  might be best to invest in something that is long term and stock market tends to be a good long term investment, but maybe you have something better personally?  I doubt it but you might have.  But what I just showed you was that sticking with the market was better that not sticking with the market and you seemed to be arguing that in your past posts "yogavnture" so I am not sure why you are wavering now? 

However, maybe Yogavnture, you don't really know what you were talking about? You did seem to  be on to a few things!!  I did agree with you.   And you are seeking information now? Don't worry if that is the case. Many people don't know what the hell they are talking about. Many people with money,  and some without, many people who invest, many people who claim to make money in the markets, they are just talking crap, in my opinion, not theirs certainly!!  It is a very complicated issue and many people have opinions and some people have facts.  You did seem to have a strong opinion earlier, about the OP, so why I am giving some you shit here!!  Anyway, if you need specific advice, I am willing to help you but I might need info about your situation, your age, or something more.  You can write me offline if you want.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

@   ghworker2010

Great idea to sell when you're happy with the results and take your gain.

Just don't look back and bitch and moan as do so many investors or forum members.

Enjoy the day..

the markets are proven to go up over time. so why sell?  u just have to live thru the dips. and with this last rally . we got a bit spoiled. now we have a hangover. we can get drunk again soon im sure