Video footage claims to show Bangkok 100 years ago

Hmmm.... that Tram ran from Yaowarat to Dusit....I don't remember Eveready in that Building, but I have been in the Restaurant that operated there some 25 years ago... My personal experience  is only 40+ years ago.... but Mr dfdgfdfdgs, Senior Member, is either over 100 years old or he talks sh*t.... when the British Embassy moved to Wireless Road (early 1900's), Silom through to Yaowarat was already well built up, though Wireless Road was still rural. When Anusawali Chai Sommorrowpum [Democracy Monument] was constructed, following World War II,  73 years ago, the area was only partially rural and Phahon Yothin Avenue was already well lined with commercial buildings.......

2 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

The only thing that hasn't changed in a 100 years is the traffic conditions

... and probably the judgmental farang who assumed they were  innately superior to Thais with no evidence to support that theory.

34 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

... and probably the judgmental farang who assumed they were  innately superior to Thais with no evidence to support that theory.

What about the samlor at about 1:12-14. He's going the wrong way, Ha!

3 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

If ever there were a thread which provided a good opportunity for people to remind us how long they have been in Thailand (for the 20th time) this is probably it.  The current record I am aware of is 35 years.  Anybody can beat that?

You,ve gotta be joking ! I,ve been here 37 years and know lots of people who have been here since the mid sixties :)

If ever there were a thread which provided a good opportunity for people to remind us how long they have been in Thailand (for the 20th time) this is probably it.  The current record I am aware of is 35 years.  Anybody can beat that?

First came here in 1966 then many short visits  every year following then came to work in 1980 and still here; retired of course. I remember being shown a bit of rice paddy about where Italthai headquarters are on Petchburi, my gal at the time said I could have bought for her for 15,000 baht

No, cannot beat 35 years on full-time living, if that is what you mean. I first came here over 50 years ago (1967) and have visited many times in between; sometimes staying for a few months, but have only lived here since 2007.

5 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

My neighbor claims 40+ years but he doth fib a bit..

Mr wirat69 has set the bar at 40 years.  It's a good effort.  Can anybody beat 40 years???

He should have been here the last time the Burmese sacked Ayudhaya.

It was terrible. I barely escaped to Isaan with my life and lost absolutely everything. Had to start again from scratch in Korat. Tough times .Still don't like Burmese people to this day.

Archived