Video footage claims to show Bangkok 100 years ago

3 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Would love to watch this, but I can't see the video. I can see the following link in Thai (I can't read Thai), but the link denies me access:

ย้อนอดีต นั่งรถรางดูกรุงเทพฯ เมื่อ 100 กว่าปีก่อน

Is there another way to view it?

Go to this link on Facebook: 

As you may know one of the vehicle of the old Bangkok tramway you see at the start of the video still work at Asiatique night market as a tourist attraction going up and down one of the aisle, and most of the buildings in the video still exist in the old city part of Bangkok.

In the video that claims to be 100 years old you can see an English sign on one of the buildings "Eveready" . The American battery company was established in 1899 and started export in 1914 . But from  1918 they changed the trademark name to DAYLO . So it is possible the film clip was recorded back in 1918 . 

At 1 min 02 secs you can see a sign for 'Eveready' batteries, a company founded in 1899 and originally called the 'The American Ever Ready Company' (1905).
The Ever Ready Company trademark was shortened to 'Eveready' in 1914. From 1917 until 1921, Eveready used the trademark "DAYLO" for their flashlights and on their batteries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eveready_Battery_Company#History.
Also, the 3 wheeled rickshaws seen in the video weren't introduced to Bangkok until 1917 by Khorat native Leuam Phongsopon, who had the idea of combining a traditional 2 wheel rickshaw with a bicycle to produce the familiar 3 wheeled rickshaw or samlor.
https://m.facebook.com/SKCD2017/posts/467598910277419

So the video could tentatively be dated from 1914-17, possibly 1917.

4 hours ago, bagheera65 said:

One more great video in color, also said to show Bangkok 100 years ago: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j--HZAtEzyA

As well as another one in color of Bangkok in 1977: 

The first video is not 100 years old , that's for sure.  My guess would be the 1930's. 

Just imagine being able to time travel back to Thailand 100 years ago.

Lots of beautiful girls desperate to be cared for by a Farlang, no aids, probably very limited immigration rules, find some land, make a claim on it and build a home.

Living in Thailand must have cost a pittance compared to today’s prices in real terms, could set oneself up in a village, pick of the local girls for a wife and you were made.

Now look at it.

On 1/25/2018 at 6:19 AM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

If ever there were a thread which provided a good opportunity for people to remind us how long they have been in Thailand (for the 20th time) this is probably it.  The current record I am aware of is 35 years.  Anybody can beat that?

You have my deepest sympathy na khrup !

On 1/27/2018 at 4:10 PM, cyberfarang said:

Just imagine being able to time travel back to Thailand 100 years ago.

Lots of beautiful girls desperate to be cared for by a Farlang, no aids, probably very limited immigration rules, find some land, make a claim on it and build a home.

Living in Thailand must have cost a pittance compared to today’s prices in real terms, could set oneself up in a village, pick of the local girls for a wife and you were made.

Now look at it.

I'm sure you would have enjoyed the 3 month voyage to get there saved up from your pittance working down the mine. You probably would have felt pretty similar to the Thai hunched down in the blazing sun planting rice wondering why life was so hard and why farang's life is so sabai sabai.

On 1/25/2018 at 8:14 PM, Denim said:

He should have been here the last time the Burmese sacked Ayudhaya.

It was terrible. I barely escaped to Isaan with my life and lost absolutely everything. Had to start again from scratch in Korat. Tough times .Still don't like Burmese people to this day.

there was no Isaan

it was a separate Laos kingdom

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/1/2018 at 3:15 AM, balo said:

Lots of videos on Youtube but maybe better to post the more rare videos from 1910-1930 . 

Yes, but they are more rare to find. On the other hand a 1941 video is already more than 75 year ago which is not really yesterday...

Archived