Am I breaking the law.

Lungstib

Living out beyond Tha Ton and having no social life I am not well informed of all the new changes made by immigration. Having just read some comments on Thaivisa I thought I'd get an opinion from 'those who know'. I am registered as living in my wifes house, address up here in Tha Ton but for a change of scene and to do some shopping I often go stay with my son in Doi Saket for 3 or 4 days. Does this now require me to notify police/immigration of my new place of stay and does that need the owner of his house to do the same? Would I then officially need to re-register at my wifes house when I return? Its all getting too much this immigration game.  

By law your son should be doing a TM30 report but immigration would not be able to enforce it since they would not know about it. 

A TM28 form would not be needed since you remained in the same province. 

I would not worry about it.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

By law your son should be doing a TM30 report but immigration would not be able to enforce it since they would not know about it. 

The practice at CM Immigration seems to be that they want you to update your TM30 if you leave the country and return but not for incountry trips. Can't recall ever hearing of somebody caught up about an incountry trip.

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

The practice at CM Immigration seems to be that they want you to update your TM30 if you leave the country and return but not for incountry trips. Can't recall ever hearing of somebody caught up about an incountry trip.

I do not think I said they did or that it is even required. 

IMO another TM30 form should not be needed unless you change your permanent address.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

IMO another TM30 form should not be needed unless you change your permanent address.

It was not my intent to disagree with anything you said but rather to provide information. And agree with your "I would not worry about it."

And thank you for all you helpful information over the years.

Not all Thai Immigration offices interpret the law in the same way.  Here in Chiang Mai Province, immigration only requires you update if you leave and return the country.  But in other provinces such as Phuket they want you to update every time you have registered elsewhere, such as a hotel while travailing in Thailand.

7 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

Not all Thai Immigration offices interpret the law in the same way.  Here in Chiang Mai Province, immigration only requires you update if you leave and return the country.  But in other provinces such as Phuket they want you to update every time you have registered elsewhere, such as a hotel while travailing in Thailand.

Wasn't there something about this on TVF yesterday?  About foreigners being encouraged to re-register even if only away for one night?

Thanks everyone for helpful advice. It was Phuket news about this that I'd seen and it seems that Chiang Mai doesn't have the same problem. I wont let it bother me too much. Unfortunately its by not taking enough notice that I've hit obstacles in the past. 

Just to show the differences, when I returned from abroad last September I went to my local Immigration Office (Hua Hin) with my wife to file a TM30 and was told 'no need if same address'. When I did my annual Retirement extension earlier this month, for the first time, the IO removed the current 90 day receipt and made out another dated 90 days from that date!

I've been doing something similar for 5 years.  In a village where I have never seen a police officer, let alone a person from Immigration. Ubon Joe's advice to me was the same as you have now. Don't worry about it.

22 hours ago, Dante99 said:

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Last year I was gone for 7 plus months, returned to Pathum Thani and extended my Non-O at immigration near my 90 day limit with no problems. I did not file a new TM30 when I returned and they said nothing about it during the extension application. It was in fact the smoothest extension application I've ever had done.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:32 AM, ubonjoe said:

TM 28 LOL. 

I once did the right thing by trying to submit a TM28, but not only did the Imm officer not know what one was, they became threatening, like they wanted to do me some harm, so I just left.

Unless for some strange reason the OP's son did a TM 30 when he came to stay, I agree that Imm would not know.

Just a heads up that building 3 at the airport immigration office still processes the TM30. I just returned back in country Saturday and visited at 2 this afternoon and just a single falang lady there who was chatting with one of the officers. I was out in literally 3 minutes.

As you enter the facility building 3 is at the back of the compound and to the right of the ongoing construction and I parked at the door.

• 2 months later...

arrived   from Sydney  to morning  at 9.am, and immediately  updated my TM30 at building 3 at the airport immgr office , all done within 5 mins , parked at the  petrol garage opposite ,   fee 20 baht ,  the young immgr  lady officer was ever so polite, updating  it for me, and said the new immgr office  is earmarked for a August opening,  again great service given  to E/S  by C/Mai immgr dept   ,Giddy Up

Yes... you are breaking the law... and I imagine so are about 95% of the other expats in Thailand, myself included. 

Filling out the TM30 form after returning from traveling so frequently (almost weekly) would be an extreme headache for our landlords... It's their responsibility to I leave it up to them.

For those staying at their own property registered in their Wife's name... I wouldn't worry about it. 

Has anyone ever been fined or charged with not filling out the TM30 ?

Archived