Motorbike Rental Scam

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, HooHaa said:

Remarkably helpful advice for a weekend at the beach.

Even more helpful advice is don't rent m'bikes from crooks. You can't tell the difference between a crook and a non crook, so don't rent m'bikes from anyone.

Either use local transport or walk. Tao is small enough to walk around. I did it.

Although I've hear of it before, I didn't think it will happen to me.

Oh my my my, how many times have we heard that! If it wasn't for that illogical thinking there wouldn't be any m'bike scammers.

There have been tales of Thailand's m'bike scammers since they started renting m'bikes, which is decades, yet people still do.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:50 AM, siamcrut said:

You should have insisted on those scratched fender and plastic panel. You paid for them so take them with you.

Quite right too. What actually happens is they do nothing and use the same dings to scam the next person that rents the bike.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:35 AM, highfive said:

When I went to Koh Samui I rented a scooter, even though I never rode a motorbike in my life. This was one of the most stupid decisions I made in my life, or seriously the most stupid one, because it could have gotten me killed. Around one hour after I rented it... I crashed it into a truck parked at the side of the road.

Now, everything I read on this forum would make me think that the person I crashed into would want a lot of money from me, that the shop I rented from would want a lot of money from me. But what really happened was that the truck I crashed into was carrying some local workers, and they all just really wanted to help me, they wanted to make sure I was okay. They gave me water, they gave me plasters etc. They were all really worried.

Of course, after what I read I thought I will need to pay them for the damage I caused. I told them I was okay, I'm not very hurt and I will pay for damages, just tell me how much. But they all said "no no, nothing, no pay, you okay? you okay? bleeding? you okay?". I was really shocked how caring and friendly they were. After I crashed I wanted to return my motorbike, and again, I was expecting to pay some heavy fees or the loss of my entire deposit (10000 baht because I didnt leave my passport with them). But what actually happened was that the owner of the shop picked me up, and gave me 80% of my deposit back along with the rental fee. I don't know if I was just lucky, but what happened to me seems to contradict what most of you say.

You were just lucky, is all.

When I went to Koh Samui I rented a scooter, even though I never rode a motorbike in my life. This was one of the most stupid decisions I made in my life, or seriously the most stupid one, because it could have gotten me killed. Around one hour after I rented it... I crashed it into a truck parked at the side of the road.

Had you actually needed hospital treatment it could have bankrupted you too, as your travel insurance probably didn't cover you riding without a licence in your home country.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 16/02/2018 at 10:43 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You were just lucky, is all.

Had you actually needed hospital treatment it could have bankrupted you too, as your travel insurance probably didn't cover you riding without a licence in your home country.

I actually did need hospital treatment, or maybe I didn't need it but, I got it anyway, and my (quite expensive) insurance covered it. I know I was lucky anyway.

15 hours ago, highfive said:

I actually did need hospital treatment, or maybe I didn't need it but, I got it anyway, and my (quite expensive) insurance covered it. I know I was lucky anyway.

I'm very surprised at that. Mine requires that I have a home m'bike licence, wear a helmet and ride one under 225 cc or something about that size. I also have to pay extra for it.

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:13 PM, PoorSucker said:

125 cc

UK, maybe all of EU?, allow you to ride up to a 125 without passing a motorbike test but the rules changed quite some time ago to stop it being used in perpetuity. After 1 year you have to stop for a year (or maybe 2) before you can do it again. You need to do something to show you are in an active period (in the UK) for any chance of being covered unless you are paying quite a serious premium.

14 hours ago, notmyself said:

UK, maybe all of EU?, allow you to ride up to a 125 without passing a motorbike test but the rules changed quite some time ago to stop it being used in perpetuity. After 1 year you have to stop for a year (or maybe 2) before you can do it again. You need to do something to show you are in an active period (in the UK) for any chance of being covered unless you are paying quite a serious premium.

Don't know the UK rules but in Scandinavia your are allowed to drive a moped without a licence. 

A moped is classified as max 50cc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Im renting old click in Pattaya from 1500- 1700bht a month. They always ask if i want a newer model haha. But i also take a closeup video before i drive away together with the renter.