FBI's No. 2 official McCabe, blasted by Trump, steps down

webfact

FBI's No. 2 official McCabe, blasted by Trump, steps down

By Sarah N. Lynch

2018-01-29T210328Z_2_LYNXMPEE0S1DH_RTROPTP_3_USA-TRUMP-RUSSIA-MCCABE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe pauses while testifying before a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) in Washington, U.S., June 7, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/Files

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, criticized by President Donald Trump and other Republicans for alleged bias against him and in favour of his 2016 Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton, has stepped down, a source familiar with the matter said on Monday.

McCabe, who served as acting Federal Bureau of Investigation chief for more than two months last year after Trump fired agency director James Comey, had been expected to leave his post as the No. 2 FBI official in March.

He will remain on leave with the top U.S. domestic law enforcement agency until his retirement date, the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity because a public announcement has not yet been made.

Asked about McCabe's departure, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders told reporters, "I can tell you the president wasn't part of this decision-making process." Sanders also said Trump continues to have "full confidence" in FBI Director Christopher Wray, who the president appointed to replace Comey.

In a recent conversation with McCabe, Wray suggested moving him into a lower-ranking position, prompting McCabe to chose to leave instead, the New York Times reported.

Wray voiced concerns during the conversation about a coming Justice Department inspector general report scrutinizing the actions of McCabe and other top FBI officials during the 2016 presidential campaign, the Times reported. During that period the FBI investigated Trump campaign connections to Russia and Clinton's use of a private email server while she was U.S. secretary of state. No charges were brought against Clinton.

An FBI spokeswoman declined to comment on McCabe, who began his career at the agency in 1996 as a special agent investigating organised crime.

Trump's firing of Comey in May 2017 as the FBI was investigating potential collusion between Trump's campaign and Russia led to the Justice Department's naming of Special Counsel Robert Mueller to take over the probe.

The president later said he dismissed Comey over "this Russia thing," and the firing has become central to questions about whether Trump has sought to obstruct justice by impeding the Russian probe.

Trump last week denied a Washington Post report he had asked McCabe, shortly after he became acting FBI director, who he had voted for in the 2016 election, leaving McCabe concerned about civil servants being interrogated about their political leanings. The Post reported that McCabe told Trump he did not vote in the election.

Trump and some other Republicans have been stepping up their criticism of the FBI in a move that Democrats call part of a broader effort by Trump's party to undermine Mueller's investigation.

Republicans have criticized McCabe in connection with the Clinton email server probe. They have noted that McCabe's wife previously ran as a Democrat for a seat in Virginia's state Senate and received donation funds from then-Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe, a close ally of Hillary and Bill Clinton, the former president.

The FBI has previously said McCabe was not involved in the Clinton investigation until he was promoted to deputy director in January 2016. By that time, his wife's campaign was over and his involvement was not seen as a conflict.

TWITTER BARRAGES

Trump has repeatedly taken to Twitter to blast McCabe, asking in December how he could be in charge of the Clinton probe when his wife got donations from "Clinton Puppets." Trump on Twitter asked in July, while McCabe was acting FBI chief, why Attorney General Jeff Sessions had not replaced him, and said in December McCabe was "racing the clock to retire with full benefits" and that the FBI's reputation was in "tatters."

Most recently, the Justice Department and the White House have been at odds with one another over Republican-led efforts in the U.S. House of Representatives to release a memo containing classified information that Republicans claim shows proof of wrongdoing by the FBI in the Russia probe.

A handful of Republican-led congressional committees have launched inquiries into whether the FBI botched the Clinton investigation and showed bias in her favour. In December, McCabe was grilled behind closed doors by lawmakers on some of those panels for hours.

Democrats have said those inquires are intended to undermine and distract from Mueller's investigation.

He is one of several FBI figures to face a barrage of criticism by Republican in recent weeks. This criticism also has been aimed at FBI agent Peter Strzok and FBI attorney Lisa Page, who both worked on the Clinton investigation and briefly on the Russia probe.

Republicans have seized on text messages exchanged between the two as evidence of bias. In those texts, they called Trump an "idiot" and a "loathsome human." Mueller removed Strzok from his team after learning of the texts last summer, and he was reassigned to another post. Page left the investigatory team after her 45-day detail ended in July.

(Reporting by Sarah N. Lynch; Additional reporting by Doina Chiacu; Editing by Will Dunham)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-30

IMO the first of a few to fall, once the memo is public.

I imagine their pressing concern now is if dismissal is as far as it goes, or if charges will be forthcoming.

While I know it's by no means certain that the worst is over, and something might yet come out that changes the conversation, I'd imagine the atmosphere in the White House is pretty upbeat at the moment.

Last week, a top Justice Department official urged House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes not to release the memo, saying it would be “extraordinarily reckless” and could harm national security and ongoing investigations. 

Schiff said the GOP-majority committee also voted against releasing a counter memo written by Democrats.

The White House seems to favor the memo's release, but wouldn’t explicitly say whether the president will back the effort.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/29/house-intel-votes-to-release-controversial-surveillance-memo-to-public.html

In summary it would there is ongoing OTT Republican partisan interference in the Mueller investigation, underlined by the massive political pressure applied by the Trump Administration on McCabe who has now resigned. Complicit is Trump's Press Secretary who yesterday claimed:

"President Trump will not address the ongoing investigation into collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia because no Americans care about the issue".

LOL...

It is simply a matter of time before the US is hit again with a terrorist attack. The FBI is the primary counter-terrorism body domestically. 

When (not if) that happens, Trump will say "why didn't the FBI catch it in time?" and the FBI's answer will be "Look in the mirror, Mr Trump. You spent months and months weakening the Bureau, and now this (whatever it will be) has occurred".

It is a sad, sad thing when a President of the US weakens the US' defenses to benefit himself politically.

I don't want this guy taking a pension .The GOP Memo names actors.It's apparent he was involved,according to the txt recovered by the Inspector General Michael Horowitz where the FBI agents were conspiring to use a insurance policy to stop PT.

Comey and McCabe, then who's next?

12 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

It is simply a matter of time before the US is hit again with a terrorist attack. The FBI is the primary counter-terrorism body domestically. 

When (not if) that happens, Trump will say "why didn't the FBI catch it in time?" and the FBI's answer will be "Look in the mirror, Mr Trump. You spent months and months weakening the Bureau, and now this (whatever it will be) has occurred".

It is a sad, sad thing when a President of the US weakens the US' defenses to benefit himself politically.

PT didn't use a  unverified opposition research document and present it to a FISA judge to try to undermine his  political opponent chances in a  democratic Presidential Election.

Top FBI and DOJ  officials are being implicated.

The rank and file FBI are not being accused here. 

26 minutes ago, riclag said:

I don't want this guy taking a pension .The GOP Memo names actors.It's apparent he was involved,according to the txt recovered by the Inspector General Michael Horowitz where the FBI agents were conspiring to use a insurance policy to stop PT.

Comey and McCabe, then who's next?

?

58 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I hope there's no terrorist attack where an investigation shows someone sent 10,000 texts to their girlfriend when they should have been protecting the country.

26 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I hope there's no terrorist attack where an investigation shows someone sent 10,000 texts to their girlfriend when they should have been protecting the country.

I assume at this stage one doesn't know if the messages were sent whilst on duty or in their downtime. One would assume the FBI would have strict protocols for using their messaging apps for private conversation during work hours. However, the scenario doesn't sound as black and white as some suggest...

Many focused on their observations of the 2016 election and included discussions in often colorful language of their personal feelings about Trump, Clinton and other public figures.

If I thought it was likely, I’d be there no question. I hesitate in part because of my gut sense and concerned there’s no big there there.

Page was only temporarily on the Mueller team

https://www.snopes.com/2018/01/23/trump-overstates-missing-texts-involving-fbi-agent/

Edited by simple1

Seems like this retirement thing has been know for a while now as he is eligible in mid-March to retire with his pension so this is only big news because the news agencies are making it big. He just decided that hanging on for 6 weeks was not worth it and goes on terminal leave.  Probably trying to insure his pension.  That's what government people do.  Having worked for the federal government when I was younger, it seems every public employee is fully aware of his/her retirement date and monthly pension.  Retirement system has changed some but believe me they all hang in there for the retirement pension and they know what they will collect. 

The memo will be released. There is no doubt about that.  Will probably take another 5 days for procedural reasons.  Will be interesting to see what it says.  

Edited by Trouble

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

I assume at this stage one doesn't know if the messages were sent whilst on duty or in their downtime. However, doesn't sound as black and white as some suggest...

Many focused on their observations of the 2016 election and included discussions in often colorful language of their personal feelings about Trump, Clinton and other public figures.

If I thought it was likely, I’d be there no question. I hesitate in part because of my gut sense and concerned there’s no big there there.

https://www.snopes.com/2018/01/23/trump-overstates-missing-texts-involving-fbi-agent/

I have no idea the content of their texts but I assume it will come out if it is germane to anything. But 10,000 !!! Presumably that doesn't include time spent sleeping or time with spouse and children or driving or...  Whatever, I'm sure it will come out if it has any bearing on anything.  

Stalin smiles knowingly from his grave.

Just like T said on the campaign, "I can shoot someone on 5th Ave, and not lose any fans."

So too, projecting that to larger perspective: Trump could fire dozens of law-enforcement bosses, including federal judges (who just happen to preside over jurisdictions where Trump has properties) .....for no decent reasons - and he wouldn't lose any fans.

Indeed, now Trump is more confident of firing Mueller - because he knows there is a hard core of Republican shielders who will support him no matter how outlandish his edicts.

54 minutes ago, simple1 said:

I assume at this stage one doesn't know if the messages were sent whilst on duty or in their downtime. One would assume the FBI would have strict protocols for using their messaging apps for private conversation during work hours. However, the scenario doesn't sound as black and white as some suggest...

Many other txt  between them are the subject of much more concern  such as,

“You and I both know the odds are nothing,” Strzok wrote to Page about Mueller’s upcoming investigation into ties between Russia and Trump’s Republican presidential campaign. “If I thought it was likely, I’d be there no question. I hesitate in part because of my gut sense and concerned there’s no big there there.”

Strzok  said in a txt to page "I want to believe the path you threw out for consideration in Andy’s office — that there’s no way he gets elected — but I'm afraid we can’t take that risk. It’s like an insurance policy in the unlikely event you die before you're 40".

Strzok was the guy who interviewed HC in the email investigation

Strzok was the guy who changed the wording  of the  Comey draft,that cleared HC of wrong doing ,from "grossly negligent" to "extremely careless,".

Strzok and Page  talked about using other devices instead of their FBI issued Samsung to communicate.

I know you Trumpeters are getting all excited about the latest attempt to obstruct the Mueller investigation, but afraid to have to tell you the following facts:

1. FBI and Justice Department officials are remarkably similar to other US citizens. They have political views, affiliations and beliefs, but are sworn to their jobs and as their jobs are within the legal system, they're particularly cognizant of the need to follow the law. Just because an FBI guy is a Democrat or Republican, and whether they like or dislike Trump are irrelevant.

2. Robert Mueller and James Comey were both lifelong Republicans although Comey now says he's unaffiliated. Both were appointed by and served under several Republican administrations. Rod Rosenstein began his career as a prosecutor on the Whitewater Investigation of Kenneth Starr. These guys are basically the OPPOSITE of biased against Republicans, they are far more likely to be biased against Democrats. But far far more likely than that is that they are what they are - lifelong civil servants in the law enforcement sector who rose to the top of their professions through diligence and hard work and who have not been at all involved in partisan politics. To smear these guys because you don't like what they're doing as per their professional requirements and responsibilities is reprehensible.

3. Devin Nunes has already embarrassed himself and had to apologize for his obvious attempts to derail the Mueller investigation. That they're trying to influence the ongoing investigation in such a partisan manner is astonishing given the potential of what it may find. You'll have to pardon me as I'm of the age who remembers the years of the Gipper and how the GOP used to be staunchly opposed to Communism and the expansionism of Russia. To observe them now collaborating with them and depending on them to fight the investigation is appalling and demonstrates how far the GOP has fallen in their attempts to please their rich donors. 

I will enjoy watching the dominoes fall and the GOP crash and burn in the Midterms, at which point they'll be properly consigned to the dustbin of history. I only hope that a more Right-Center party will emerge to take their place (the return of the Whigs?) while they head off to their cabins to arm themselves and stock up on canned goods.

So McCabe is fired. Step #1 to drain the swamp. Many more steps to go. Memo released and more sure to fall. I'm just waiting for the indictments to start rolling out and get these commies behind bars. 

Trump called it many months ago and everyone called him wacko. Who's wacko now? Finally glad to see the Democrats getting exposed and their deep state govt agenda unraveling by the day. 

I said weeks ago, "watch and see what's coming. Tick Tock" The GOP by the end of this year will be full steam ahead with full control to MAGA. Then we need term limits and the wall. NO to DACA and YES to extreme immigration vetting, E-Verify, and no to any chain migration. It's coming folks sooner than later now. 

Trump is playing the Democrats like a fiddle and he will pervail.

2 minutes ago, jackh said:

So McCabe is fired. Step #1 to drain the swamp. Many more steps to go. Memo released and more sure to fall. I'm just waiting for the indictments to start rolling out and get these commies behind bars. 

Trump called it many months ago and everyone called him wacko. Who's wacko now? Finally glad to see the Democrats getting exposed and their deep state govt agenda unraveling by the day. 

I said weeks ago, "watch and see what's coming. Tick Tock" The GOP by the end of this year will be full steam ahead with full control to MAGA. Then we need term limits and the wall. NO to DACA and YES to extreme immigration vetting, E-Verify, and no to any chain migration. It's coming folks sooner than later now. 

Trump is playing the Democrats like a fiddle and he will pervail.

Yes, because the "swamp" was referring to career civil servants doing their jobs, not to lobbyists and career politicians, right? So are Goldman Sachs and the other Billionaires who precipitated then profited on the Financial Crisis part of the swamp or part of the solution? I was under the impression that they were swampers, so why have they've just continued to gain control of the Treasury and other parts of the government that purportedly regulate them? You guys are so confusing. Can you define what the swamp is? Who are we supposed to drain?

Yes, Trump is fiddling, but more like Emperor Nero, whom he has more similarities to than any other leader of a country. I'll be happy to see the fall of this prevert (sic).

49 minutes ago, JCauto said:

I know you Trumpeters are getting all excited about the latest attempt to obstruct the Mueller investigation, but afraid to have to tell you the following facts:

1. FBI and Justice Department officials are remarkably similar to other US citizens. They have political views, affiliations and beliefs, but are sworn to their jobs and as their jobs are within the legal system, they're particularly cognizant of the need to follow the law. Just because an FBI guy is a Democrat or Republican, and whether they like or dislike Trump are irrelevant.

2. Robert Mueller and James Comey were both lifelong Republicans although Comey now says he's unaffiliated. Both were appointed by and served under several Republican administrations. Rod Rosenstein began his career as a prosecutor on the Whitewater Investigation of Kenneth Starr. These guys are basically the OPPOSITE of biased against Republicans, they are far more likely to be biased against Democrats. But far far more likely than that is that they are what they are - lifelong civil servants in the law enforcement sector who rose to the top of their professions through diligence and hard work and who have not been at all involved in partisan politics. To smear these guys because you don't like what they're doing as per their professional requirements and responsibilities is reprehensible.

3. Devin Nunes has already embarrassed himself and had to apologize for his obvious attempts to derail the Mueller investigation. That they're trying to influence the ongoing investigation in such a partisan manner is astonishing given the potential of what it may find. You'll have to pardon me as I'm of the age who remembers the years of the Gipper and how the GOP used to be staunchly opposed to Communism and the expansionism of Russia. To observe them now collaborating with them and depending on them to fight the investigation is appalling and demonstrates how far the GOP has fallen in their attempts to please their rich donors. 

I will enjoy watching the dominoes fall and the GOP crash and burn in the Midterms, at which point they'll be properly consigned to the dustbin of history. I only hope that a more Right-Center party will emerge to take their place (the return of the Whigs?) while they head off to their cabins to arm themselves and stock up on canned goods.

Excellent synopsis!

What amazes me that both the Patriot Act and Freedom Act were passed with Republican support which gave the FBI such things as FISA. And now the Republicans seem to be against their own ideologies.  Looks like Republicans are not so interested when it captures one of their own. Such hypocrisy.

Edited by Silurian

22 minutes ago, jackh said:

get these commies behind bars. 

Trump called it many months ago and everyone called him wacko. Who's wacko now?

Errr - You - :stoner:

Edited by simple1

31 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Yes, because the "swamp" was referring to career civil servants doing their jobs, not to lobbyists and career politicians, right? So are Goldman Sachs and the other Billionaires who precipitated then profited on the Financial Crisis part of the swamp or part of the solution? I was under the impression that they were swampers, so why have they've just continued to gain control of the Treasury and other parts of the government that purportedly regulate them? You guys are so confusing. Can you define what the swamp is? Who are we supposed to drain?

Yes, Trump is fiddling, but more like Emperor Nero, whom he has more similarities to than any other leader of a country. I'll be happy to see the fall of this prevert (sic).

Remember when Obama sat all of those Banksters down and let them know "My administration is the only thing between you and the pitchforks"? That shakedown was a thing of beauty. The banksters saw nary a pitchfork and DNC coffers were bulging.

1 minute ago, lannarebirth said:

Remember when Obama sat all of those Banksters down and let them know "My administration is the only thing between you and the pitchforks"? That shakedown was a thing of beauty. The banksters saw nary a pitchfork and DNC coffers were bulging.

I'd agree with you there. Mind you, they at least attempted to and succeeded at passing some legislation to regulate the financial markets with Dodd-Frank. The Republicans made damn sure it had no teeth, then gleefully destroyed it as soon as they got into power, with the Banksters happily investing in their political campaigns as well. 

My biggest single issue with respect to the US political system is the need to get money out of it as this has resulted in the capture of democracy by corporate interests and oligarchs. Make individual contributions a maximum of $1,000, ban lobbyists from contact with the Congress and impose two-term limits for starters.

1 minute ago, JCauto said:

I'd agree with you there. Mind you, they at least attempted to and succeeded at passing some legislation to regulate the financial markets with Dodd-Frank. The Republicans made damn sure it had no teeth, then gleefully destroyed it as soon as they got into power, with the Banksters happily investing in their political campaigns as well. 

My biggest single issue with respect to the US political system is the need to get money out of it as this has resulted in the capture of democracy by corporate interests and oligarchs. Make individual contributions a maximum of $1,000, ban lobbyists from contact with the Congress and impose two-term limits for starters.

My brother! We are simpatico. 

1 minute ago, lannarebirth said:

My brother! We are simpatico. 

Good to see that there actually ARE issues where people from both sides of the debate can agree. And given the acrimony and negativity we're currently experiencing, I'd much rather start from a point of agreement than a point of difference.

I must ask though that, given your stance that you also would like big money out of politics, why it is you support the Republicans who have consistently fought to ensure big money influences politics? Citizens United was fought for by the Republicans and upheld by judges who were uniformly appointed by Republican Presidents. Shouldn't you be against the people who are completely committed to maintaining the primacy of big money in politics?

Looks like the replacement for McCabe might also be a potential witness in the Mueller investigation. How long before the WH and Republicans try to smear Bowdich as well?

NEW ACTING FBI DEPUTY DIRECTOR DAVID BOWDICH MIGHT BE A TRUMP-RUSSIA PROBE WITNESS

http://www.newsweek.com/andrew-mccabe-deputy-director-replacement-david-bowdich-794339

1 minute ago, JCauto said:

Good to see that there actually ARE issues where people from both sides of the debate can agree. And given the acrimony and negativity we're currently experiencing, I'd much rather start from a point of agreement than a point of difference.

I must ask though that, given your stance that you also would like big money out of politics, why it is you support the Republicans who have consistently fought to ensure big money influences politics? Citizens United was fought for by the Republicans and upheld by judges who were uniformly appointed by Republican Presidents. Shouldn't you be against the people who are completely committed to maintaining the primacy of big money in politics?

Well, first of all I am a Democrat not a Republican. I was against the Courts ruling on Citizens United just as I was against their ruling on Obamacare. The government's case was ruled unconstitutional and only through the flimsiest of reasonings did Roberts pull a political move to save the legislation. I don't like that sort of thing no mattter whose party does it or who is served by it. It created a horrible situation that will end in failure. I wish Obama had had the stones to push for Single Payer, what with controlling both houses but that wouldn't have served his paymasters.

If you confused me for a Republican it is because I blame Democrats for Trump due to their undying support of thoroughly corrupt candidates. Time to clean our own house up. Stop voting for "least worst" candidates.

3 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Well, first of all I am a Democrat not a Republican. I was against the Courts ruling on Citizens United just as I was against their ruling on Obamacare. The government's case was ruled unconstitutional and only through the flimsiest of reasonings did Roberts pull a political move to save the legislation. I don't like that sort of thing no mattter whose party does it or who is served by it. It created a horrible situation that will end in failure. I wish Obama had had the stones to push for Single Payer, what with controlling both houses but that wouldn't have served his paymasters.

If you confused me for a Republican it is because I blame Democrats for Trump due to their undying support of thoroughly corrupt candidates. Time to clean our own house up. Stop voting for "least worst" candidates.

Ah, well, one might hope to eventually find a reasonable Republican who actually maintained their principles one day. 

Completely agree with your post by the way. I think Roberts was a coward who refused to follow his own principles because he knew the political cost would be far too high. 

1 minute ago, milwaukeeboy said:

All the people with Trump derangement syndrome on this forum need to wake up.

Trump, truth, transparency in government = good

Democrats, Republicans, DC Establishment, wars, lies  = bad

So if you're a big fan of transparency in Government, you should be up for the completion of the probe. Your conjoining of the two words "Trump" and "truth" is a good one! Do his thousands of documented lies since he became the President fit in there somewhere? How?

Agree with your characterization of the current establishment and political parties.