Thailand bans smoking on 24 popular beaches

webfact

Thailand bans smoking on 24 popular beaches

THban.jpg

File photo

People who smoke on beaches in Thailand face spending up to a year in jail.

From Feb 1st, a smoking ban at 24 of Thailand's most popular beaches will go into effect.

Some of the beaches where smoking will be banned include Pattaya, Hua Hin, Cha Am, Phuket, Koh Tao and Koh Samui.

The maximum penalty for smoking on the beach is a fine of 100,000 baht and up to one year in jail.

However, how this will be enforced by the authorities remains to be seen.

In fact, officials have said that the penalty would be used more as a warning, rather than being strictly enforced - at least to begin with.

Smokers have also been reminded that electronic cigarettes are not an alternative as these are also illegal in Thailand.

At a press briefing held at Cha Am beach last week, officials said that signs in English, Thai and Chinese will be displayed at all beaches explaining that tourists can smoke in dedicated smoking areas.

Local business operators have also been urged to inform smokers of the ban and help them stay on the right side of the law.

The ban was put into place after an environmental study carried out last year by the  Marine and Coastal Resources Research Center found approximately 100,000 cigarette butts strewn across the province’s

5.5 kilometer Cha-am Beach. 

Beaches where the smoking ban is in affect are:

Pattaya 
Dong Tan

Chonburi
Bang Saen
Tham Phung
Sattahip [Sai Kaew]

Rayong
Saeng Chan

Phuket
Patong

Phetchaburi
Cha Am

Phang Nga
Khao Lak

Hua Hin
Hua Hin beach & Khao Takiab beach

Koh Samui
Bo Phut

Koh Tao
Chalok Ban Kao

Koh Yao
Koh Khai Noi
Koh Khai Nok

Koh Lanta
Klong Dao

Kor Kwang
Phra Ae

Chumphon
Sairee

Trat 
Ban Chuen

Songkhla
Chala That

Trang
Chao Sam Ran

Nakhon Sri Thammarat
Plai Sai

Chanthaburi
Laem Sadet

Pattani
Wasukri

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-01

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

The maximum penalty for smoking on the beach is a fine of 100,000 baht and up to one year in jail.

However, how this will be enforced by the authorities remains to be seen.

I think we all know how this will be enforced...

"You have to pay a fine of 100,000 Baht for smoking on the beach! ... or you can pay me 2,000 Baht now and I'll let you off...".

I truly cannot wait until the first very large fine is given to a foreigner or when the first foreigner goes to jail. The international media will go bonkers and the Thai authorities will set a new speed record in back-peddling. 

Police Officer: "You, falang, you smoking. You come me station, pay one hundred thousand baht."

Tourist: "Oh."

PO: Wait. I know you. You photo in station. You Dr Death, drug dealer, child trafficker, raper of babies."

T: "Damn, you got me."'

PO: "Wow. You famous. We take selfie together, OK? Show my friends, family I know famous farang."

T: "Oh, if you insist."

PO: "But throw away cigarette. Don't want people to get the wrong impression of Thailand."

Thats great. What about the forest burning, charcoal manufacturing and sugar cane burning and huge amount of rubish burning 24hours a day thats going on outside my front door right now? Surely thats more of a health concern? Has any Thais in charge ever had a psych evaluation?. I would love to know the results.

Am in Vietnam visiting at the moment. Saw the story on the local news last night. Couldn't understand all that they were saying but the locals found it highly amusing. I am guessing this story is bringing a bit of comic relieve to news viewers all around the world. 

Yep, sure they will enforce that and then become the focus of international media who will have a field day with the story of foreigners being fined 100,000 THB and tossed into jail for a year. 

Edited by connda

From the Thai Criminal Code:

Section 295: Causing bodily injury

the offender "...shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding 2 years or fined not exceeding 4,000 Baht, or both."

Section 299: Mob assault causing grievous bodily harm

"...participants in such affray shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or fined not exceeding 2,000 Baht, or both.

Section 300:  Causing bodily Harm as a result of negligence

the offender "...shall be imprisoned 3 years or fined not more than 6,000 Baht, or both."

Section 278: Rape of a person over 15 years old

the offender "...shall be imprisoned not more than 10 years or fined not more than 20,000 Baht, or both."

Section 279: Indecent act with a person under 15 years old

if committed with or without consent from the victim, the offender "...shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding 10 years or fined not exceeding 20,000 Baht, or both."

Now... as the hardened criminal that you are, drop a cigarette butt on a not-so-pristine beach and go to prison for not exceeding 1 year and be fined not exceeding 100,000 Baht, or both. Meanwhile, drop other garbage - including plastic bags, empty bottles and softdrink cans,  styrofoam containers and pretty much anything else (empty cigarette packs?), you apparently go scot-free. 

Edited by Misterwhisper

3 hours ago, bsdthai said:

Thats great. What about the forest burning, charcoal manufacturing and sugar cane burning and huge amount of rubish burning 24hours a day thats going on outside my front door right now? Surely thats more of a health concern? Has any Thais in charge ever had a psych evaluation?. I would love to know the results.

That’s all OK, unless your front door opens onto one of 24 beachs.... in which case... “see something, say something”, and make the new tourism minister happy

44 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

From the Thai Criminal Code:

Section 295: Causing bodily injury

the offender "...shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding 2 years or fined not exceeding 4,000 Baht, or both."

Section 299: Mob assault causing grievous bodily harm

"...participants in such affray shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or fined not exceeding 2,000 Baht, or both.

Section 300:  Causing bodily Harm as a result of negligence

the offender "...shall be imprisoned 3 years or fined not more than 6,000 Baht, or both."

Section 278: Rape of a person over 15 years old

the offender "...shall be imprisoned not more than 10 years or fined not more than 20,000 Baht, or both."

Section 279: Indecent act with a person under 15 years old

if committed with or without consent from the victim, the offender "...shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding 10 years or fined not exceeding 20,000 Baht, or both."

Now... as the hardened criminal that you are, drop a cigarette butt on a not-so-pristine beach and go to prison for not exceeding 1 year and be fined not exceeding 100,000 Baht, or both. Meanwhile, drop other garbage - including plastic bags, empty bottles and softdrink cans,  styrofoam containers and pretty much anything else (empty cigarette packs?), you apparently go scot-free. 

500 THB fine for speeding 135km in a 90km limit area...NO NO NO smoking on the beach is far more dangerous.....I love living here life is so interesting its a laugh a day, not like the boring life back home.

Come on Thailand cant wait for tomorrow to see whats in store for us.

Smokers butted out at 24 beaches

By The Nation

85b17dd490640e55e48fe36c602ed3b4-sld.jpe

Officials on Thursday began strictly enforcing a ban on smoking on beaches, with offenders facing a possible year in prison and a Bt100,000 fine.

The Marine and Coastal Resources Department announced a strict ban on smoking at 24 beaches in 15 provinces to begin with.

The aim is to protect the environment, such as by reducing the number of discarded cigarette butts, and to protect beachgoers from being disturbed by smokers and from potential harm from second-hand smoke.

The beaches have designated smoking areas.

The locations are Bang Saen, Thampang, Sai Kaew and Dong Tan beaches in Chon Buri, Sangchan in Rayong, Laem Sadet in Chantaburi, Ban Cheun in Trat and Cha-am Beach in Phetchaburi.

Also under the ban are Hua Hin and Khao Takieb beaches in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Hat Sai Ree in Chumphon, Ao Bo Phut and Chaloke Bankao beaches in Surat Thani, Plai Sai in Nakhon Si Thammarat, Chalathat in Songkhla, and Wasukree Beach in Pattani.

In Phangnga the ban is in effect at Khao Lak, Koh Khai Nok and Kho Khai Nai beaches, in Phuket at Patong Beach, in Trang at Samran Beach, and in Krabi at Laem Kho Kwang, Klong Dao and Phra Ae beaches.

The ban is being enacted under Article 17 of the recently improved Marine and Coastal Resources Management Act, published 60 days ago in the Royal Gazette, and comes after a two-month publicity campaign aimed at giving smokers fair warning.

The Marine and Coastal Resources Department puts cigarette butts among the most prevalent forms of waste on beaches and in the sea. Carrying nicotine, plastic, carcinogens and other toxic substances, they are considered a hazard to the environment and marine ecosystem.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30337687

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-01

About time,  keep those dirty stinking smokers off the beaches..  actually the smoking wouldn't be so bad but most seem to think it ok to leave their cigarette  butts in the sand...  if they never did that,   then this ban possibly would never have happened..

so they only have themselves to blame !!! 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Marine and Coastal Resources Department puts cigarette butts among the most prevalent forms of waste on beaches and in the sea. Carrying nicotine, plastic, carcinogens and other toxic substances, they are considered a hazard to the environment and marine ecosystem.

So is faeces!!       Anyone for a swim in pattaya beach?:post-4641-1156694572:

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I truly cannot wait until the first very large fine is given to a foreigner or when the first foreigner goes to jail. The international media will go bonkers and the Thai authorities will set a new speed record in back-peddling. 

This is being done under marine protection law, I'd like to see the first case go to court and see how this law applies to smoking and how a judge could possibly convict

Now a different matter if someone is caught throwing a butt end in the sand (or anything else for that matter) 

An honest judge would laugh them out of court 

People are being slaughtered all over Thailand and this is what they think is important - if they had brains they'd be dangerous 

3 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Now... as the hardened criminal that you are, drop a cigarette butt on a not-so-pristine beach and go to prison for not exceeding 1 year and be fined not exceeding 100,000 Baht, or both.

actually that is wrong, yes they are trying to stop littering of butts on the beach which I agree with, butt light up a ciggie and (according to them)you have broken marine protection law even if you intend to dispose of said butt correctly (see my previous post)

That is why this is so stupid and is IMO unenforceable under Marine Protection Law 

Edited by smedly

Thailand bans smoking, littering at popular tourist beaches

2018-02-01T062550Z_1_LYNXMPEE102A7_RTROPTP_3_THAILAND-TOURISM.JPG

Tourists are seen on a beach of Maiton Island in Phuket, Thailand March 18, 2016. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand banned smoking and littering at 24 beachside locations that are popular with tourists over environmental concerns on Thursday, the ministry of natural resources and environment said.

The Southeast Asian country has been a tourist magnet for decades, from its backpacker heyday in the early 1990s to its current popularity with tourists from mainland China. It expects to welcome a record 37.55 million tourists in 2018.

Environmental rights groups have urged successive governments to protect Thailand's palm-fringed beaches, which are frequently voted among the world's most beautiful, from unregulated development and littering, among other things.

A law that came into force on Thursday is aimed at tackling this problem, said Bannaruk Sermthong, a director at the Office of Marine and Coastal Resources Management.

"Starting today, smoking and cigarette-butt littering are prohibited on beach areas," Bannaruk told Reuters.

"Anyone who wants to smoke must do so in designated smoking areas, not on the beaches."

The law protects 24 beaches in 15 provinces located along the Andaman coast and the Gulf of Thailand.

Anyone who violates the law will be taken to a criminal court and could face up to one year in jail, or a fine of up to 100,000 baht ($3,190), or both.

Thailand has 357 beaches nationwide.

($1 = 31.34 baht)

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat; Writing by Patpicha Tanakasempipat; Editing by Amy Sawitta Lefevre and Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-02-01

1 hour ago, webfact said:

If not disposed of correctly and I again repeat "which is why this is flawed" you have not committed an offence until you throw the cigarette butt in the sand or any other litter for that matter

8 minutes ago, smedly said:

This is being done under marine protection law, I'd like to see the first case go to court and see how this law applies to smoking and how a judge could possibly convict

Now a different matter if someone is caught throwing a butt end in the sand (or anything else for that matter) 

An honest judge would laugh them out of court 

People are being slaughtered all over Thailand and this is what they think is important - if they had brains they'd be dangerous 

Funny,  in the UK there are public beaches where smoking is banned though as typically English it will be self policed and not enforced.

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/582240/Beach-Britain-smoking-ban

This in a country where acid attacks are destroying lives all over the nation. This is what the English think is important- if they had brains..... they d be...

All i can ask is why is smoking not allowed on some of the beaches?

Why not on all beaches?As for the 100.000 baht fine,come on people

that is the maximum fine possible.

It will be more like 2000 baht and no jail time.

I remember a bunch of years ago when there was a smoking ban in bars,did not last long but for a few weeks it was being enforced.

This will die the same death.

Look at any stretch of street in Pattaya and what do you see ? Literally hundreds of cigarette butts.

Where are these going to end up every time there is a heavy rainfall ? Down the storm drain and on to the beach !

Mission impossible to get rid of butts, only solution is to legalize and promote E-cigarettes.

3 hours ago, slippery snake said:

About time,  keep those dirty stinking smokers off the beaches..  actually the smoking wouldn't be so bad but most seem to think it ok to leave their cigarette  butts in the sand...  if they never did that,   then this ban possibly would never have happened..

so they only have themselves to blame !!! 

Though I used to smoke, I think it’s disgusting to do it around other people. Even worse to litter on a beach. This is 99.99% Thais littering in my area as not too many foreigners travel here. Probably because the beach is so nasty with litter ! Good on the police I say. Let’s see if they enforce it.