Farang Female Con Artist In Bangkok

CANA

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mother met a young Italian guy begging for money at the airport in Delhi, he told her he'd had wallet and all his tickets/moeny stolen and had no money for a meal or a phone call to his family.

My mother gave him what money she could afford, her un used phone cards and her stash of emergency food (my mother is a diabetic and goes nowhere without a stash of goodies for emergencies). The young man thanked her and asked for her address/phone number/email so he could return the money at some time.

Weeks later my mother received a letter from his mother containing the returned cash (in Euros) and a beautiful drawing by the guy who my mother had helped out. The lady wrote and thanked my mother for helping her son, there was also an open invite to visit the family in Italy.

A year later my wife and I moved to Italy and at the first oportunity visited this young man's family. They are really lovely, open and friendly people, our first friends in Italy.

Yes there are scammers about, but the falt is theirs. Giving someone help when you believe they need it is a mark of your humanity, scamming is a mark of the scammer's depravity.

My mother's experience is not a reason to give to people in need of help, rather evidence that there are genuine people out there who do appreciate kindness.

The OP has my admiration for wanting to help, humanity is a strength not a weakness.

That's a great story GH, Thanks :o

Ya, GH, great humanitarian story.

I think we've all helped out a few stranded folks without ever thinking about the monetary return. A young German guy was outside the 7-11 for a few hours. I was back and forth on errands. Finally I asked if he was OK. Wallet stolen, etc. and he was waiting for a money transfer.

I had to force him to take a few hundred baht to at least buy water and food. This guy was so well-raised, he kept saying no, I'm OK, when he clearly was not.

I've been ripped off by scammers, too, but I try to forget those ones. Like the time I bought a phone from a street hawker in NY, got home and discovered it was a brick in a shrink-wrapped Sony box...

Don't worry CANA ... I've been scammed by every sort of muppet operating here in Bangkok in the last few years ...at the end of the day it's only a bit of cash ...and worth it for the few 'honest Johns' who have genuinely benefited from my offerings.

You've got to keep the faith or you turn into a bitter, twisted, cynical muppet just like the ones that are trying to scam you ... :o

If you're approached by a woman with a similar story, don't fall for it.

aah, thanks for the tip but I really didn't think there was anyone so gullible still left in the world. You're a gem. Please tell us of the next scam you fall for :D

What you need is your fortune told so it doesn't happen again. There's a couple of Indian fortune tellers that hang around early Suk Rd who do a good job. They're only a few thousand baht but I think for you well worth it.

A bit unneccassary, dont you think :o

You've got to admit Jack, she was good, and worked hard for the 1000. I wonder how much she can make in a month?

I can't believe people here are suggesting the police should be contacted over a lousy 1000 baht.

Thanks everyone for reminding me not to get too beat up over it, and you're right, 1,000 baht is really nothing. I'm going to try to remember stories like GH's so I don't forget that some people are in genuine need of a little help.

Cheers

aah, thanks for the tip but I really didn't think there was anyone so gullible still left in the world. You're a gem. Please tell us of the next scam you fall for :o

What you need is your fortune told so it doesn't happen again. There's a couple of Indian fortune tellers that hang around early Suk Rd who do a good job. They're only a few thousand baht but I think for you well worth it.

<deleted>!

aah, thanks for the tip but I really didn't think there was anyone so gullible still left in the world. You're a gem. Please tell us of the next scam you fall for :o

<deleted>!

I second that.

i thought that if we get in deep <deleted> overseas we can go to our embassy and get emergency relief.

am i mistaken?

The Oz embassy won't give out money.

They assisit in offering legal advice and maybe a visit to your cell if you're in the Monkey House, but no cash handouts.

For emergency relief try Soi Cowboy.

:o That is dreadful. What you did was the opposite. Don't beat yourself up about being kind (and gullible) I am sure that most people would fall for it.

There is a French guy in Chiang Mai who has been pulling this stunt for years.

I hope that there is a special place in hel_l for those who take advantage of the kind-hearted! :D

I would like to have more details about this story.

There are thousands of con artists and scammers out there and also people in genuine trouble.A lot has also to do with the colour of the skin methinks and that's not being racist.We are programmed to think that "white people" are trustworthy" usually ".Remember the Nigerian scams that were and still are around?If a Thai approached you with some story would you be as susceptible?The lesson to be learnt here is to be wary of anyone but not distrustful of everyone.

Cana did the humanitarian thing and unless YOU are in that situation where you are approached by someone how do you know how you will react?Best thing would be to accompany that person to their embassy or the police and don't hand over cash.Embassies require a police report if you've been robbed and they allow you to call reverse charges someone in your home country. Some embassies will also issue emergency cash this varies from country to country.

I've been approached on numerous occasions by scammers with stories ranging from the expert to the ridiculous but the only time I got conned was when I gave a beggar 100baht (he was old with one arm and filthy dirty).Hours later after I walked past the same place after work here he was talking on a mobile phone!

:o That is dreadful. What you did was the opposite. Don't beat yourself up about being kind (and gullible) I am sure that most people would fall for it.

There is a French guy in Chiang Mai who has been pulling this stunt for years.

I hope that there is a special place in hel_l for those who take advantage of the kind-hearted! :D

I would like to have more details about this story.

Read the OP, CRC. Miss CANA detailed the whole story there.

I got scammed out of $20 at LAX airport in Los Angeles. Claimed he didn't have enough money to put 11 members of his extended family on a plane to Oakland. I was jetlagged.

They allow solicitors at LAX and because of this, scammers are there among the real ones. Watch out.

<deleted>!

I second that.

I third that.

CANA, ignore the drivel written by Dgoz here. Although you seem to have done that quite well already!

Just be thankful you didn't part with the full 5,000 Baht. No need to feel bad about being honest, lesson learned for only 1,000 Baht.

Cana - your willingness to help someone in need is truly commendable.

Walking down Sukhumvit one night a guy obviously under the influence comes up to me and says – Excusive me, I’m drunk. Left my hotel with my friends. Only took a bit of cash, spent it drinking and then got separated from my friends. Could you spare 20 to 40 baht for me to get a taxi back to my hotel?

His story hit home – sounded like something I could easily do. And, he wasn’t asking for a lot of money. I was about to give him 120 baht and tell him to have a beer on me after he got back to his hotel. But my girlfriend stopped me. As I was listening to his story - a vendor told my girlfriend this guy does the same thing for hours every day.

In fifty plus years I thought I heard them all. But this is one is my particular favorite and one I was taken by. Small time con scams don’t get published in the newspapers. Making others aware of them on this form is one of its many attributes.

Johnny

aah, thanks for the tip but I really didn't think there was anyone so gullible still left in the world. You're a gem. Please tell us of the next scam you fall for :D

Dgoz what a sick person YOU are !! as :o there's no need for you to condemn CANA for

her generosity the way you have - in fact given a choice of being stuck with your sort of attitude to other people

and losing 1,000 baht ............. even 10 times over - at the end of the day I would rather lose the money :D

<deleted>!

I second that.

I third that.

fourth that!

<deleted>!

I second that.

I third that.

fourth that!

Yep, <deleted>. Fifth that!

<deleted>!

I second that.

I third that.

fourth that!

Yep, <deleted>. Fifth that!

I'd sixth that but people look at you funny if you lisp

Not so long ago me and my mates were sitting in our local pub talking about beggars on the streets of U.K. (subject started by Romanian/Bulgarian entering the Uk) when one of my mates said it is easy to make money by begging and to proove it he went and sat outside our local shopping precinct with his dog and a placard sying homeless and no food for the dog. within 30 mins he had made £12.30p before the precinct security patrol moved him on. not bad for a few minutes work

My mother met a young Italian guy begging for money at the airport in Delhi, he told her he'd had wallet and all his tickets/moeny stolen and had no money for a meal or a phone call to his family.

My mother gave him what money she could afford, her un used phone cards and her stash of emergency food (my mother is a diabetic and goes nowhere without a stash of goodies for emergencies). The young man thanked her and asked for her address/phone number/email so he could return the money at some time.

Weeks later my mother received a letter from his mother containing the returned cash (in Euros) and a beautiful drawing by the guy who my mother had helped out. The lady wrote and thanked my mother for helping her son, there was also an open invite to visit the family in Italy.

A year later my wife and I moved to Italy and at the first oportunity visited this young man's family. They are really lovely, open and friendly people, our first friends in Italy.

Yes there are scammers about, but the falt is theirs. Giving someone help when you believe they need it is a mark of your humanity, scamming is a mark of the scammer's depravity.

My mother's experience is not a reason to give to people in need of help, rather evidence that there are genuine people out there who do appreciate kindness.

The OP has my admiration for wanting to help, humanity is a strength not a weakness.

Beautiful story, thanks GH ! :o

totster :D