Changing vehicle registration from Chiang Mai to Cha Am

miketu

Hi all, does anyone know where there's a good vehicle inspection station in Cha Am?   Also where the office is in Cha Am to change license plates over to Cha Am/Petchaburi plates?  I bought a vehicle in Chiang Mai and need to change the registration to Cha Am residence.

Thanks!

Edited by miketu

Since it a transfer from another province you have to go to the main office in Petchaburi.....It is a two stop procedure. First time bring all the necessary paperwork (remember all the copies)..After having paid the fee, you will get an appointment for a second visit. The second time you will get your car inspected.....after that you unscrew the CM plates...go to the last window in the office and give them the old plates in exchange for your new ones. Officers in general are very friendly, but with very limited English...so for your second visit I will recommend using one of the agents hanging around the entrance...look helpless and they will approach you..!!   Will cost you a few hundred baht...but will make everything go smother...

Cha-Am has a vehicle inspection bay at their Licensing and Driving Test centre, down a side road off Petchkasem Road on the left approaching the turn off to Cha-Am, but I don't know if they change plates, however, why on earth would you want to change the plates?

38 minutes ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

I purchased my vehicle in Bangkok, never had any issues with registration plates.

You guys seem to like making trouble for yourselves, what’s the point I don’t think the cops are overly interested.

What a silly reply.

You need confirmation of address = your home province to transfer a car into your name...!!

1 hour ago, worrab said:

I bought my car in Bangkok and now live in the province of Prachuap Khiri Khan and have not changed plates. No need.

They will be sending fines to the address the car registered and if not paid the fine will get doubled when you pay your yearly tax 

23 minutes ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

So if you go on vacation that takes you through different provinces you have to change your plates. What rubbish.

Who said anything about vacation ? They are talking about moving to a new province to live. You are supposed to change the plates, but as somebody else said above, it's not high on the cops list of priorities normally. But if you are involved in an accident it does give them an opening for more tea money when they see your car is not legally registered at the right address.

7 hours ago, MikeN said:

Who said anything about vacation ? They are talking about moving to a new province to live. You are supposed to change the plates, but as somebody else said above, it's not high on the cops list of priorities normally. But if you are involved in an accident it does give them an opening for more tea money when they see your car is not legally registered at the right address.

The registration book is the document that confirms address,not the plates on the car?

7 minutes ago, petermik said:

The registration book is the document that confirms address,not the plates on the car?

But if you live in a different province they have change the plates because the province where it registered is on the number plate

for the do not know's, if you buy a vehicle in another province that vehicle is registered there and on change of ownership, someone normally both the seller and the buyer go to the local office and change ownership name, so good so far

if the owner of that vehicle moves permanently to another province, ownership place of address details are in the old province, no problem in using the vehicle and taxing in that new province, but any postal fines will go to the wrong address.

if the vehicle is sold outside the province, point number one above can not be done, so the answer is to obtain signed docs from the previous owner and then take the vehicle to the new local office and change the to a local registration number, job done, as posted takes 2 trips and the vehicle has to go to the office. having the vehicle registered at the local province with the correct address makes everything easier.

at no time did the op state he was moving, only that the vehicle was moving, 

So in my case I’m technically breaking the law. Purchased car brand new from a main dealer in Bangkok. Went through the usual red plate saga.

Received my new plates which I’m told are Bangkok plates, never had any problems or issues with the police and been like this for over 12 years.

All up to date with tax and insurance no problem for me so I think some people just get their knickers in a twist over nothing.

1 hour ago, offset said:

They will be sending fines to the address the car registered and if not paid the fine will get doubled when you pay your yearly tax 

Sorry to say but you are wrong as the car is shown at the present address in the blue book with BKK plates. 

35 minutes ago, offset said:

But if you live in a different province they have change the plates because the province where it registered is on the number plate

The blue book is the important document ..............not the plates. if the correct address is in the book then all is well. I have a blue book with the change of address having bought the car new in another province.

42 minutes ago, worrab said:

The blue book is the important document ..............not the plates. if the correct address is in the book then all is well. I have a blue book with the change of address having bought the car new in another province.

Last month I changed my address in the blue book but had to change the number plate, do you know what province is on the number plate if different to your address I think somebody have done something that is not correct but TIT

On 02/02/2018 at 10:53 AM, offset said:

Last month I changed my address in the blue book but had to change the number plate, do you know what province is on the number plate if different to your address I think somebody have done something that is not correct but TIT

No, we still have the Bangkok plates and an address in Prachuap. Just been looking and trying to remember what occurred and I believe that whilst we had the red plate and waiting for the white plate, we knew our future address in Prachuap which was put in the blue book. Going to Land Department tomorrow where we have a good friend  to renew licences so will find out which is correct and will post.