Me No Ingrish: Travel blogger’s offensive post generalizing Thais sparks conversation

snoop1130

18 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

. I cannot speak Thai but I can go to a restaurant and order food from a menu written in Thai,

I have given up trying to order food in restaurants in Thailand as what I ordered , something different usually arrives .

Nowadays, when I go into a restaurant , I just tell them to cook whatever they like and that will do

"Cook whatever you want, go on, surprise me" .

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Official second language is English, so I would expect a few Thais to speak it.

But other than that, you're right.

What?  Where was english set as the official second language?  I see no laws, no constitution referring to it...

I am glad now I decided to stay in the Philippines, people don't fall out of hotel windows here, wherever you go they speak at least a little english. In general the people are polite friendly and very willing to share.

Of course there is a bad element here, its not paradise on earth.

But it's easier to live here as a foreigner.

The visa situation is easy keep renewing you tourist visa for 36 months leave the country for 24 hours and return start it all over again.

14 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

What?  Where was english set as the official second language?  I see no laws, no constitution referring to it...

Thailand Education Ministry to set English as second language in schools.

Can't post link as to news site that isn't allowed.

Although 67% of the Thai population speak Central Thai as their second language so probably a moot point.

https://isaanrecord.com/2015/09/02/guest-editorial-thai-has-the-highest-percentage-of-second-language-speakers-among-major-languages/

Bildschirmfoto-2015-09-02-um-23.00.13.png

Edited by MaeJoMTB

4 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

That is not an official language, it is the standard teaching curriculum making teaching english as a course a priority over some other stuff (other than STEM). That is no difference than standard curriculum making having 1 courses in History, 1in Geography and 3 in either arts or physical education as part of the requirement of getting a diploma.  An official language is what is required for immigration, or for getting jobs in the civil service and guarantees like all government services will be available in that language.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

18 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

That is not an official language, it is the standard teaching curriculum making teaching english as a course a priority over some other stuff (other than STEM). That is no difference than standard curriculum making having 1 courses in History, 1in Geography and 3 in either arts or physical education as part of the requirement of getting a diploma.  An official language is what is required for immigration, or for getting jobs in the civil service and guarantees like all government services will be available in that language.

It is not even a standard teaching curriculum because not all schools teach English. My 14 year old step daughter attends a school in Khon Kaen and there is no English taught there.

20 hours ago, Thian said:

we can conversate well

20 hours ago, Thian said:

This article is just another example of how the Thai (and many TV-members) just ignore the importance of education. They even get angry from comments like this..

don't blame them!

you might need to up your English for Singapore

18 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

OK so they will not understand anything every Thai implicated have to say, eventually the witnesses, the Thais with whom the western tourist could have had a problem, or any police officer not from the tourist police, I won't discuss that any further have a good day!

You know that they operate alongside Thai Tourist Police officers (who speak Thai and English, being Tourist Police) and that their job is to assist  foreigners needing police help?

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Take a look around. I have many friends in the hotel and restaurant business. Other than the regular crowd in Pattaya, and alot of businessmen, quality western tourists have fallen off the map, in the past 5 years or so. 

So no confirmation of your assertion, then, apart from what your friends say?

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

No need to take that attitude with me .

I was asking for an explanation for the statement that you made .

The explanation that you gave also didnt back up your statement .

And I really cannot understand why you are mentioned deaf and mute people , 

What point are you trying to make ?

You are speaking nonsense and as a defence, you talk derogatory to me  

That's what he (and others) do when they haven't got an answer.  Seems to happen a lot here.

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

That's what he (and others) do when they haven't got an answer.  Seems to happen a lot here.

Yes, some guys get great pleasure out of trolling, others just reply with a "duh"

and then ignorant remarks.

Others go from post to post with a sad emoticon

Edited by isaanbanhou

1 hour ago, draks said:

I am glad now I decided to stay in the Philippines, people don't fall out of hotel windows here, wherever you go they speak at least a little english. In general the people are polite friendly and very willing to share.

The visa situation is easy keep renewing you tourist visa for 36 months leave the country for 24 hours and return start it all over again.

The downside is the number of Filipinos there.

1 hour ago, draks said:

This is good information. The Philippines would be the obvious choice if I were unable to continue to stay in Thailand. I had no idea you could extend a tourist visa that long before doing a turnaround. Used to be similar in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Jools said:

This is good information. The Philippines would be the obvious choice if I were unable to continue to stay in Thailand. I had no idea you could extend a tourist visa that long before doing a turnaround. Used to be similar in Thailand.

I think I would chose Vietnam over the Philippines.

4 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Although 67% of the Thai population speak Central Thai as their second language so probably a moot point.

https://isaanrecord.com/2015/09/02/guest-editorial-thai-has-the-highest-percentage-of-second-language-speakers-among-major-languages/

Bildschirmfoto-2015-09-02-um-23.00.13.png

Thai 66.67%, English 33.33%, so EXACTLY two thirds and EXACTLY one third respectively. What a coincidence! Statistics, eh..?

3 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I think I would chose Vietnam over the Philippines.

Care to explain why?? My information has been that Vietnam is more expensive than Thailand while Philippines is slightly less expensive.

13 minutes ago, Jools said:

Care to explain why?? My information has been that Vietnam is more expensive than Thailand while Philippines is slightly less expensive.

What's that got to do with price of bananas in Belize? They weren't talking about cost of living. There is such a thing as qual... Ah, never mind.

15 minutes ago, Jools said:

Personal preference, I am familiar with Vietnam - and cuisine is pretty good (live on local food).  The costs are probably equivalent to what I pay in Thailand - it all depends on area.  Don't know how it is relative to Philippines.  Lots of digital nomads make Vietnam their home.  As I understand it you can get a year long visa - though I am not familiar of the exact details.  I chose to live in Thailand because I like it, not because it is the cheapest option. 

5 hours ago, MrY said:

What's that got to do with price of bananas in Belize? They weren't talking about cost of living. There is such a thing as qual... Ah, never mind.

Crap post and crap logic.

6 hours ago, Jools said:

Philippines about 30% cheaper than Thailand due to exchange rate at the moment.