Why do I get a cough and cold after returning from BKK?

simon43

Every 6 months I visit Bangkok from my home in Naypyidaw, Myanmar. (I previously lived for many years in BKK and Phuket between 2002-2012).

Whilst in BKK, I jog every morning in the park, enjoy healthy salads, and avoid alcohol, women (and men!) of dubious background :) My health is very good.

Every time when I return to Naypyidaw, I get a bad cough with a day or so. This cough lasts for about 2 weeks, (including loss of voice which makes teaching my KG kids a challenge!), followed by 2 weeks with a cold and runny nose.

This is frustrating. I don't want to spend 1 month recuperating after each visit to BKK.......

What might be the cause, and what coud I do to avoid this happening in the future? Wear a dust-mask at all times? When I lived in BKK around 2002-2004, I don't recall having coughs and colds.

If you travel by plane the air is recirculated and if the guy 5 rows behind you is hacking his lungs out you can be exposed. But your immunity may be impaired due to stress of travel or unusual sleep patterns during travel period. 

If you travel by plane the air is recirculated and if the guy 5 rows behind you is hacking his lungs out you can be exposed. But your immunity may be impaired due to stress of travel or unusual sleep patterns during travel period.

Very true about the plane. I should wear a decent face mask when travelling.

I doubt that my immunity is impaired. It's only 90 minutes on the plane and no stress or loss of sleep.

It's annoying isn't it? A plane is like a virus incubator with wings. I'm just getting over a bad cough and sore throat after returning from the UK in the middle of January which started a few days after I got back. I've caught a virus the last three times I've returned from the UK. I could wear a mask throughout the journey, but I'd feel like a dork. But even then you only have to touch any surface in the plane or the toilet and then put your hand on your nose or mouth and that's it.

A/C systems whatever forms of transport you use, planes, taxis, mini bus, normal bus, private cars.

Hotel A/C systems.    Airport lounges public or private.

Maybe you would look like a dork if you wore a mask on the plane but, you would look more like a dork for longer if you are 'hacking away' all the time when you get back.

If you smoke, don't, whilst travelling.

Try taking High C before and after travel to boost immune system.

Hotel AC units.

I used to have this problem all the time.  Now my first job after dropping my suitcase in my hotel room is the open the front of the AC unit.  Then take out the invariably absolutely filthy plastic filters and wash them with the bum gun in the bathroom.  Pop the filters back in and close the AC unit.

This was recommended to me by a friend who is an AC engineer in Europe.

Since doing this I have never had a recurrence of the problem.

Hotel AC units.

I used to have this problem all the time.  Now my first job after dropping my suitcase in my hotel room is the open the front of the AC unit.  Then take out the invariably absolutely filthy plastic filters and wash them with the bum gun in the bathroom.  Pop the filters back in and close the AC unit.

This was recommended to me by a friend who is an AC engineer in Europe.

Since doing this I have never had a recurrence of the problem.

It's the AC filters in the aircraft I need to change not the filters in my own home which is what I'm coming back to.

5 hours ago, trd said:

It's annoying isn't it? A plane is like a virus incubator with wings. I'm just getting over a bad cough and sore throat after returning from the UK in the middle of January which started a few days after I got back. I've caught a virus the last three times I've returned from the UK. I could wear a mask throughout the journey, but I'd feel like a dork. But even then you only have to touch any surface in the plane or the toilet and then put your hand on your nose or mouth and that's it.

Yes and through air travel cold virus's are truly international now; millions of different strains are now being circulated.

Edited by SunsetT

I returned from Bkk 2 hours ago.... nup,  no cough, cold, wheeze or sneeze.
Everything as was when left home here a week ago.
2 hours lol! If you did catch something on the plane or airport, typical incubation period for viruses is between 2 - 5 days before symptoms appear.

I live on the SW corner of OZ..., where due to the earths rotation, the weather swinging up from Antarctica first touches the Australian mainland. for good reason I like to think the air is pretty damn 'clean' etc. But, I'm not keen on the relatively short but intense winters there and some many years ago I caught the travel 'bug' and not being keen on long hours in planes.., I travel northwards for winter...,  often to SEA. It used to be I never caught any colds or flu(fit as a rally bull etc)..., 'but'.., land, sea and air in this whole SEA area is 'comparatively' very polluted. The last few visits, I'd become crook with a flu on returning(late August). This fairly knocked me sideways ending with a long lasting hacking cough ! I'm older now and have decided to have the best chance to avoid 'the lurgy', I'd make some changes. I continue to travel within SEA for our Southern winters, but now I won't holiday on or around Thailand's west coast - i.e. 'downstream' from all the polluted flooding rivers emptying into the Bay of Bengal(from India, Myanmar and Bangladesh et al)..., plus I avoid stayin in large cities(transiting only). I also take 'personal responsibility' for my health staying as fit as I can..., in order to have the best chance to 'see off' any potential lurgy etc. Anyways, long story shortened, I stay in what I consider the least polluted parts of S/EA...., especially places with some wind that will blow away particle laden air. 'If' I develop an irritating cough I take some herbal cough syrup(I prefer 'Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa').., High C with zinc pills..., keeping up to date with the latest flu shots. Basically anything and everything I can do to stay healthy..., it's absolutely not rocket science. 

Edited by Sandy Freckle

19 hours ago, simon43 said:

Very true about the plane. I should wear a decent face mask when travelling.

I doubt that my immunity is impaired. It's only 90 minutes on the plane and no stress or loss of sleep.

I learned a long time ago to wear a mask as soon as I am on the plane, as the earlier post stated, the air is recirculated and if the guy 5 rows behind you is hacking up his lungs, its on its way.

The distance of air travel has nothing to do with it, I flew from Phuket to here which is over an hours flight, mask on and and offered my visiting daughter one who looked at me as if to say I am not putting that thing on, suffice to say I put it back in my pocket, didn't take long, she had been on bed for days with a cough and cold. Thought I would also mention I told her prior to her international flight her, she should wear one and take a couple paracetamol tablets just before her flight and every 4 hours, which leads me to that old saying; "you can lead them to water, but you can't force them to drink it", she ended up with a cough and cold in Phuket for a week and was good for a couple of days before she flew up here with me, just so she could repeat it.

You could say her immune system is down, but hey, laziness has nothing to do with it I say, or how people are going to look at you with your mask on, better safe then sick. I have given her multi-vitamins to take and some tablets like Tiffy and she is on the mend.

Do yourself a favour, next time your on a flight, mask up and see if your sick afterwards, also, depending where you are staying, if it has an air conditioner and you use it, make sure the vents are not on you, if they are moving them in a different direction and see if the filter needs cleaning, a good temperature to have it on is 26, not hot, not freezing, just nice.

If you don't take multi-vitamins, I would also recommend them.

Health future travels....

18 hours ago, trd said:

Better to look like a dork then to suffer mate, I mask it every time, apart from colds, soar throats, you just don't know what other nasty's are potentially heading your way. 

By the way, did you find out the cause of your red rash ?

Slightly off-topic, but I visited a dermatologist in BKK who said it was not due to an allergy and prescribed cortisone cream etc. Right now, my skin is not so sensitive or red, so looks like it was aa temporary problem.

As for the cough/cold, this may well be due to recirculated air when in the plane.

I doubt my cough is due to infection from dirty air-con in the hotel. I do not use air-con nor fan. I switch them off when I stay in the hotel and don't use them at home either.

The plane looks to be the culprit. I order a couple of 'trendy' N95 filter masks with exhaust valve from Lazada, and I'll collect these on my next visit to BKK at the end of March.

Consider building up your immunity before and during those events by taking 5000 MG of Vitamin D3 daily, 5 Grams of Vitamin C daily, 90 Mcg of Vitamin K2 MK 7 daily, and 600 MG of magnesium citrate daily.  First check with your doctor for possible negative interactions if you are taking any drugs like a blood thinner like Coumadin or a cancer medication.  

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I learned a long time ago to wear a mask as soon as I am on the plane, as the earlier post stated, the air is recirculated and if the guy 5 rows behind you is hacking up his lungs, its on its way.

The distance of air travel has nothing to do with it, I flew from Phuket to here which is over an hours flight, mask on and and offered my visiting daughter one who looked at me as if to say I am not putting that thing on, suffice to say I put it back in my pocket, didn't take long, she had been on bed for days with a cough and cold. Thought I would also mention I told her prior to her international flight her, she should wear one and take a couple paracetamol tablets just before her flight and every 4 hours, which leads me to that old saying; "you can lead them to water, but you can't force them to drink it", she ended up with a cough and cold in Phuket for a week and was good for a couple of days before she flew up here with me, just so she could repeat it.

You could say her immune system is down, but hey, laziness has nothing to do with it I say, or how people are going to look at you with your mask on, better safe then sick. I have given her multi-vitamins to take and some tablets like Tiffy and she is on the mend.

Do yourself a favour, next time your on a flight, mask up and see if your sick afterwards, also, depending where you are staying, if it has an air conditioner and you use it, make sure the vents are not on you, if they are moving them in a different direction and see if the filter needs cleaning, a good temperature to have it on is 26, not hot, not freezing, just nice.

If you don't take multi-vitamins, I would also recommend them.

Health future travels....

Alot of Doctors say those masks don't work.

4 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

I live on the SW corner of OZ..., where due to the earths rotation, the weather swinging up from Antarctica first touches the Australian mainland. for good reason I like to think the air is pretty damn 'clean' etc. But, I'm not keen on the relatively short but intense winters there and some many years ago I caught the travel 'bug' and not being keen on long hours in planes.., I travel northwards for winter...,  often to SEA. It used to be I never caught any colds or flu(fit as a rally bull etc)..., 'but'.., land, sea and air in this whole SEA area is 'comparatively' very polluted. The last few visits, I'd become crook with a flu on returning(late August). This fairly knocked me sideways ending with a long lasting hacking cough ! I'm older now and have decided to have the best chance to avoid 'the lurgy', I'd make some changes. I continue to travel within SEA for our Southern winters, but now I won't holiday on or around Thailand's west coast - i.e. 'downstream' from all the polluted flooding rivers emptying into the Bay of Bengal(from India, Myanmar and Bangladesh et al)..., plus I avoid stayin in large cities(transiting only). I also take 'personal responsibility' for my health staying as fit as I can..., in order to have the best chance to 'see off' any potential lurgy etc. Anyways, long story shortened, I stay in what I consider the least polluted parts of S/EA...., especially places with some wind that will blow away particle laden air. 'If' I develop an irritating cough I take some herbal cough syrup(I prefer 'Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa').., High C with zinc pills..., keeping up to date with the latest flu shots. Basically anything and everything I can do to stay healthy..., it's absolutely not rocket science. 

Some exposure to bacteria and viruses is needed.  The body's immune system is designed for that and needs it occasionally to function properly.

I ordered an N95 type mask with exhaust valve, which is meant to be pretty good against protection from these nasty bugs.

Ronz28, I already have a very healthy diet with some added supplements. I don't think I'm lacking in anything there.

Oh - I have no pre-existing conditions and no medications.

Edited by simon43

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

I ordered an N95 type mask with exhaust valve, which is meant to be pretty good against protection from these nasty bugs.

Ronz28, I already have a very healthy diet with some added supplements. I don't think I'm lacking in anything there.

Oh - I have no pre-existing conditions and no medications.

Exhaust Valve.    :cheesy:

Edited by Acemaker

23 hours ago, norrska said:

Alot of Doctors say those masks don't work.

And yet they still require them to wear during surgery and in hospitals when dealing with sick patients.... Are we all being scammed by the deep state mask conspiracy? 

On 05/02/2018 at 10:29 AM, tonray said:

And yet they still require them to wear during surgery and in hospitals when dealing with sick patients.... Are we all being scammed by the deep state mask conspiracy? 

The doctor walks around from patient to patient without wearing  one

He obviously isn't worried about transferring infections from patient to patient or catching anything himself so I have my doubts they will make much difference 

Unless you go the whole hog and get one with a respiratory system and oxygen tank built in, I think people wearing  cheap face masks are breathing the same air as the rest of us