Video: Nurse thrown in the air 30 meters as "brakes fail" - but somehow she lives

webfact

1 minute ago, midas said:

and I'm just giving one example which shows their complete apathy towards enforcing any traffic laws even on their own doorstep. Lack of equipment is a complete red herring

Sorry, but lack of proper equipment is not a red herring as you say. There are thousands of kilometres of roads in Thailand not just Beach Road, and there are a lot more deaths on the other roads in Thailand than there are on Beach Road. If the police had the proper training and the proper equipment then possibly they could catch more of the idiots on all the roads in Thailand and not just on Beach Road

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Friends have been sharing them on Facebook. Two clips from a helmet camera on one of the kids on the bikes who don't have licences. In the first part the cop asks them how they want to clear it and asks for 2,000 baht each. They offer 200 but he doesn't go for that. On the second clip, after the accident, he goes back over to them and takes 500 baht each.

That should go international - in the (probably vain) hope that something is done about the creatures appalling behaviour. Unfortunately, as long as his bosses have received their cut nothing will be done .

I am pleased that the young lady seems to have come through.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Sorry, but lack of proper equipment is not a red herring as you say. There are thousands of kilometres of roads in Thailand not just Beach Road, and there are a lot more deaths on the other roads in Thailand than there are on Beach Road. If the police had the proper training and the proper equipment then possibly they could catch more of the idiots on all the roads in Thailand and not just on Beach Road

It all goes down to ( the lack of) education. And if they don't change the whole educational system, things will never change. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

It all goes down to ( the lack of) education. And if they don't change the whole educational system, things will never change. 

I'd say a cultural change is needed too, in the case of my stepson who died he had a brain infection that they mistook for someone putting a spell on him - they put him in the local temple, for the monks to "reverse the spell", for a week (advised by older people)! When he was finally taken to the hospital, it was too late, as the swelling had done too much damage.

I was not around at the time, didn't know how bad it was as I was working.

A lot of the things people learn is "unlearned" by elders – as most Thai people are brought up to never dispute what they say. He would probably have been alive and kicking today, if not for that.

Edited by Sirbergan
Addition

7 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

But how do you educate the old drivers that are already set in their own ways. You must first get the attention of the complete population and then you need to change the whole driver education, training and licensing system, but you need to get their attention first, Australia tried various ways to change the attitudes of drivers and it was not until they hit the offenders hard in the pocket that the people started to take notice and they changed their driving attitude, it is still not perfect but it is a very big improvement to what it was.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Her brakes worked well enough after the collision. This is a clear case of negligent driving. Thoughts go out to the nurse - hope she recovers.

Right. If the car driver`s breaks failed she would not have been able to skid to a halt at all. Total BS.

Amazing, no one not even the police bothered to check the nurse`s condition, just walking around like headless chickens. Scary stuff.

2 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

But how do you educate the old drivers that are already set in their own ways. You must first get the attention of the complete population and then you need to change the whole driver education, training and licensing system, but you need to get their attention first, Australia tried various ways to change the attitudes of drivers and it was not until they hit the offenders hard in the pocket that the people started to take notice and they changed their driving attitude, it is still not perfect but it is a very big improvement to what it was.

Especially impossible in a country where elders are always right, even when they're wrong.

Edited by Sirbergan
Addition

4 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Poor kid. A nurse. Thai Visa if you organise a donation fund online, I will the first to help out. Let me see you post it. Lets help this nurse out.

I agree completely ....one for the nurse and another to make sure he goes to jail

11 hours ago, webfact said:

She applied the brakes but they didn't work - she had no idea why, she claimed to police.

From the sound of the shrieking tyres, which began well before the collision, I would say that the brakes worked fine.

a clear case of using that BS excuse, which with evidence like this, should be rigourly challenged, to reduce the use of this as an excuse, if nothing more.

I have watched this video a few times and I want to cry and kick the <deleted> out of people at the same time .why the hell is the cop not blocking the road giving even basic first aid organizing the dumb ar*e useless fools that are there to protect the scene its no wonder so many die on the roads with this apathy. Its a shocking reminder that should be played over and over of just how pathetic the driving here is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sammieuk1 said:

I have watched this video a few times and I want to cry and kick the <deleted> out of people at the same time .why the hell is the cop not blocking the road giving even basic first aid organizing the dumb ar*e useless fools that are there to protect the scene its no wonder so many die on the roads with this apathy. Its a shocking reminder that should be played over and over of just how pathetic the driving here is.

this might go viral worldwide, and hurt thai tourism

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yogavnture said:

we all know thai cops dont make much money. but this video will do real damage to the thai tourist industry. the sight of a cop on scene. and after shes hit he stands thier looking at car and dinking on his mobile, will do real damage to the thai tourist industry and the thai police credibility. that cop should be arrested for not helping the woman

i wonder if this will go viral worldwide. damaging thai credibility. i think the govt will have to act now on road accidents

44 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

In my opinion, you've got to hit their wallets. If doing a red light means one month not driving and a fee of 20,000 baht, not 200, people would act differently. Of course would you first have to educate the educators much better. Not all should pass the way it is now...a long way!!

They're the ones who must give their knowledge to kids, but how does that work if kids are not allowed to ask questions? Well, the whole system needs some changes and it's sad that expats know what's wrong while Thais are really good in looking away. Saving face is not more important than saving lives.  

Having the military in power doesn't help the situation, it seems to be problem number one. Don't let corrupt people tell you what corrupt is. And yes, a real driver training is a must. Let people who don't listen to the laws work a few months at ICU units of hospitals on weekends. That would help them to rethink....

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

"It's scary to think you could be injured or killed while waiting at a traffic light... "

Some years ago I and a passenger were waiting to turn right at an intersection. A Thai guy in a pickup hit us from behind, we are lying in the road unconscious. He gets out, walks back and sees we are out to it, gets back in and drives off. Not one Thai present got his number for the police when they arrived....dont get involved is the Thai national motto. I spent 3 days in hospital with a broken collar bone, pillion was ok, fortunately. 

1 hour ago, Sirbergan said:

That's as likely as your birthday, Christmas and New Years happening the same day, and I'm not talking about the viral part.

1 hour ago, yogavnture said:

i wonder if this will go viral worldwide. damaging thai credibility. i think the govt will have to act now on road accidents

The government is constantly to be seen 'inaction'.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

1 hour ago, biggles45 said:

Some years ago I and a passenger were waiting to turn right at an intersection. A Thai guy in a pickup hit us from behind, we are lying in the road unconscious. He gets out, walks back and sees we are out to it, gets back in and drives off. Not one Thai present got his number for the police when they arrived....dont get involved is the Thai national motto. I spent 3 days in hospital with a broken collar bone, pillion was ok, fortunately. 

But but but if some farlang gets oral pleasure openly they manage to identify him/her by their foot soles and colour of pubic hair ?

Edited by Donotdisturb
  • Haha 1

Although all the standers by seem to be neglecting the victim here , I thinks it’s better they did if none of them had any medical knowledge or equipment because even just turning her on her back could mean permanent back damage or death if nobody knows what to do next! The only thing I would suggest that needs to be done is make sure police do regular first aid training and all police vehicles carry first aid kits on board even motorcycles

4 hours ago, Russell17au said:

It might have put more idiot drivers on the road in their new cars, so it is possible that it could have made things worse

thats what i meant.. an increasing car population with no training in a short space of time

But they do watch tv while driving fact

Edited by retirementenquiry

4 minutes ago, TurkAussie said:

Although all the standers by seem to be neglecting the victim here , I thinks it’s better they did if none of them had any medical knowledge or equipment because even just turning her on her back could mean permanent back damage or death if nobody knows what to do next! The only thing I would suggest that needs to be done is make sure police do regular first aid training and all police vehicles carry first aid kits on board even motorcycles

But not one of the by-standers bothered to even approach the woman to see if she was alright or try to comfort her in any way. They seemed more interested in the damage to the vehicle.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jackdd said:

Probably busy playing with her phone instead of looking at the street, as soon as she hit the motorbike the brakes seemed to work.

Yeah agree’d I watch it a few times and she was obviously preoccupied looked up and saw the car in front had stopped and swerved into the other lane thinking it was empty because the car in the right was blocking her line of site to the area the motorcycle was in and she bagan braking only when she fully entered the lane and saw the motorcycle there! Pure negligence 

• Like 2